Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 PM

346 posts, read 237,579 times

Advertisements

Like take this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc96tHCPt4M

Even despite overwhelming evidence she continues to act all shocked and surprised. What the hell was going through her head during the whole thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
...my guess is, you'd have to ask Jodie...?..

Old 05-26-2020, 02:01 PM

23,254 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Maybe they are hoping the interrogating officer will be stupid enough to believe their little act. How many times do we see footage of some officer detaining and asking a suspect whether they have anything illegal on them? They never ever know anything about the knife/gun/drugs found right in their pants pocket or sitting in plain view on the car seat. It must be hard for the officer to keep a straight face and not burst out laughing.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-26-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 03:34 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe they are hoping the interrogating officer will be stupid enough to believe their little act. How many times do we see footage of some officer detaining and asking a suspect whether they have anything illegal on them? They never ever know anything about the knife/gun/drugs found right in their pants pocket or sitting in plain view on the car seat. It must be hard for the officer to keep a straight face and not burst out laughing.
I think these people often fancy themselves smarter than others, including the cops. I read/watch/listen to a lot of true crime, and it amazes me in this day and age that people lie about where they were on a given day, and all LE has to do is pull their phone records or check their computers or see what cell towers their phones pinged from. They don't think the cops are going to check this out?

People have been busted because they said they were home all day but the cameras on their own damn apartment building records them leaving at such and such a time.

Or they buy the tools they need to bury a body, and there they are at the register at 3:42 in the afternoon on the Home Depot camera and Home Depot's SKU records show that at that exact time, somebody bought a shovel and a tarp and some bleach.

Or their wife was poisoned and coincidentally, their personal computer shows that they've been researching poisons.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
People get desperate and they'll try anything. It's the same reason someone, if being caught cheating, will insist someone hacked their phone, they must have been flirting with that person in their sleep, their friend must have used their name, "it was dark and I thought it was you," etc., even though this is so unlikely it's funny.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
First...why would you ever admit ANYTHING? The easiest defense is to deny, deny, deny...but then folks get nervous and construct lies that don't hold up to scrutiny.

Second...these are all people who have gotten caught - so a sample of the dumber criminals. Maybe the smarter criminals don't get questioned as much because they can evade detection?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:06 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
First...why would you ever admit ANYTHING? The easiest defense is to deny, deny, deny...but then folks get nervous and construct lies that don't hold up to scrutiny.
I was on a jury for a murder trial about 25 years ago. One thing I learned from sitting on that box is that the "anything you can say can be used against you" means exactly what it says. Do NOT talk if you are ever arrested for a crime. Invoke your right to a lawyer.

Quote:
Second...these are all people who have gotten caught - so a sample of the dumber criminals. Maybe the smarter criminals don't get questioned as much because they can evade detection?
A professor of a class I took once (English Lit, but it had nothing to do with the conversation) said that as part of a study in which he participated, he went to the courtroom to observe sentencings, and he said that "sometimes the difference between whether you do jail time or not is a matter of three points on your IQ. For example, do not spit on the floor while you are talking to the judge."

Of course, at that point, they've already been caught. There are many smart criminals out there who have literally gotten away with murder because rather than whack someone over the head with the nearest blunt object, they thought things through. Read up on Israel Keyes, a serial killer who no one knew existed until he slipped up and used a victim's debit card. He told the police before he committed suicide in prison, "You don't even know the people I killed have been murdered. They are just missing persons."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-...tims-48-hours/

Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 AM

17,268 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:

I'd have one word: LAWYER!

If you have gotten detained, you need a lawyer. The cops are pros, most criminals are not.

You are not getting out of there so why waste everyone's time trying to tell a tale/explain things?

How many innocent people have been convicted after being coerced into admitting guilt?

Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 AM

17,268 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was on a jury for a murder trial about 25 years ago. One thing I learned from sitting on that box is that the "anything you can say can be used against you" means exactly what it says. Do NOT talk if you are ever arrested for a crime. Invoke your right to a lawyer.

A professor of a class I took once (English Lit, but it had nothing to do with the conversation) said that as part of a study in which he participated, he went to the courtroom to observe sentencings, and he said that "sometimes the difference between whether you do jail time or not is a matter of three points on your IQ. For example, do not spit on the floor while you are talking to the judge."

Of course, at that point, they've already been caught. There are many smart criminals out there who have literally gotten away with murder because rather than whack someone over the head with the nearest blunt object, they thought things through. Read up on Israel Keyes, a serial killer who no one knew existed until he slipped up and used a victim's debit card. He told the police before he committed suicide in prison, "You don't even know the people I killed have been murdered. They are just missing persons."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-...tims-48-hours/
silence is easy for some people, others not so much!

Never heard of Israel Keyes but whew he was thorough! Hiding a "murder kit" in the woods and flying back 1000 miles 2 years later to use it?

Old 05-27-2020, 04:25 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
If you are actually answering questions, any questions, from police - you're stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology