Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 06:59 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Interesting phenomenon. Most states are lifting restrictions on lockdown and life is starting to return to normal. Had a conversation the other day saying I'm so happy that many of my activities will resume shortly. This was met with a "no they won't. Its going to be a very long time before its safe and I'm still staying in."

The person I was talking to is very controlling of her family and insisted that her sons live with her when attending college and even after. They have been isolating with her as one gas a small child and a wife who recently left him over disagreement about his relationship with his mom. It dawned on me that some people really like the shut down and want it to continue as it aligns with their own values and fears.

Many people probably resent having to be part of society and keep up with certain norms. Others are obsessed with creating the illusion of safety and drawing a bubble around themselves and their family. Some might just be the maladjusted who appreciate the time off from everyday interaction where they feel inadequate. This shut down situation has given these types of personalities the perfect excuse for living the way they want to all the time but without pressure not to. Of course they want it to keep on, and they can now turn the tables and shame others for not complying. Its as though the universe suddenly turned on its axis and the maladjusted became the status quo.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. In my own circles I have definitely witnessed an increase in aberrant and negative psychological behaviors with this enforced isolation. Those who seek attention have gone to extremes to get it, those who struggle with addiction are left to their own devices to relapse, those who are anxious or depressed are in dangerous mental places. But there are those who really enjoy this time as it represents the type of world they prefer to live in. Its fascinating to see who these people are.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. In my own circles I have definitely witnessed an increase in aberrant and negative psychological behaviors with this enforced isolation. Those who seek attention have gone to extremes to get it, t
That's apparent.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I like the lockdown because I enjoy being at my house, I have been able to manage by business without going into the office, and my personality type doesn't require me to be around lots or large groups of people.

I have enjoyed not having a commute and being able to get up a bit later than normal. I don't view regret over the lockdown ending as a personality disorder.

But I know that not everyone thrives in this situation.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, yes, these circumstances can magnify certain aspects of certain personalities, present company included, but I don't think it's turned everyone into psychos.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:54 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Many people probably resent having to be part of society and keep up with certain norms. Others are obsessed with creating the illusion of safety and drawing a bubble around themselves and their family. Some might just be the maladjusted who appreciate the time off from everyday interaction where they feel inadequate. This shut down situation has given these types of personalities the perfect excuse for living the way they want to all the time but without pressure not to. Of course they want it to keep on, and they can now turn the tables and shame others for not complying. Its as though the universe suddenly turned on its axis and the maladjusted became the status quo.
This is weird flex, and not at all judgmental. I don't think anyone "likes" the lockdown. We're living in strange times. There is a highly contagious virus circulating, spread by close contact with other people. People being cautious about their own health (and the health of their more vulnerable friends and family) isn't maladjusted. We obviously can't do this forever, but waiting to see what the data looks like as communities reopen can be done responsibly. If you want to be the canary in the coal mine, have at it.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is weird flex, and not at all judgmental. I don't think anyone "likes" the lockdown. We're living in strange times. There is a highly contagious virus circulating, spread by close contact with other people. People being cautious about their own health (and the health of their more vulnerable friends and family) isn't maladjusted. We obviously can't do this forever, but waiting to see what the data looks like as communities reopen can be done responsibly. If you want to be the canary in the coal mine, have at it.
But the danger in many areas is very limited. It's not a "canary in the coalmine" its that we took an abundance of cautionary measures and things are now opening because there are fewer concerns.

I posted in another thread that my grandmother would tell the story of people who refused to believe WW2 was over and kept hunkered down for weeks or months after every newspaper trumpeted the end. This reminds me of those stories. All behaviors have a purpose. Staying locked down for no reason is no different.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

Staying locked down for no reason is no different.
It's YOUR OPINION that there is no reason.

In their minds, they have a reason. You aren't required to agree with it.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's YOUR OPINION that there is no reason.

In their minds, they have a reason. You aren't required to agree with it.
Interesting defense mechanism from someone who said they enjoyed the lockdown.

Facts don't bear out a continued lockdown in my area. Cases have never been prevalent and we have had no deaths outside of elderly populations or those with preexisting problems. I understand that its different everywhere but we are not at the epicenter by any means. Leaders have been relaxing restrictions and its almost normal at this point. But there are those who resist.

To keep this on topic I'd like to discuss 9nly reasons some folks seem to want a lockdown to last in the face of positive trends, not why you think a lockdown was necessary in the first place.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:55 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
The fact that you think people who don't mind the temporary lockdown ( they don't think like you do) are maladjusted tells me this thread is not about you wanting to hear a different POV. Not everyone is an extrovert having trouble adjusting to staying out of the public, so what?

Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The fact that you think people who don't mind the temporary lockdown ( they don't think like you do) are maladjusted tells me this thread is not about you wanting to hear a different POV. Not everyone is an extrovert having trouble adjusting to staying out of the public, so what?
On the contrary, I'm very much an introvert. But isolation is totally different than introversion. Isolation is used as a punishment and quite a controversial one. Im curious to hear about why people might choose to continue isolation with scant evidence that they need to. The defensive responses are really interesting.

Last edited by emotiioo; 05-28-2020 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Geez. You are awfully judgmental. There is no actual "lockdown." But if it is OK with you, I won't be eating out at restaurants with a mask on, or going out to try to have "fun" at a bar while maintaining a 6' distance from everyone. I won't be going to drive-through concerts in my car, or making reservations to go to church or commuting 90 minutes to my office cubicle just so I can do zoom calls in isolation all day. I won't be heading out to socially distance at Walmart to buy things I can get better quality and value online. I won't be sitting in my stylist's chair for 3 hours in a mask when I can color my own hair without that discomfort.

I think I'll stay home, which is a far more enjoyable and productive place for me for now.

That ok with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology