Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 02:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,515,073 times

Advertisements

Most people that I've talked to these days aren't fearful, they're just really, really bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 02:32 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..i confess i did not read the article...my assessment of what PT puts out is the same as kembro's...that being said i was commenting on the op's title...wasn't specifically speaking about the covid fear but surely that's part of it...my apologies to you...
...fear is a good thing, sometimes it will save your life, it did mine, however unwarranted fear is a needless stress on the mind and body...whether ones fear is unemployment, the future, food stability, pick anything, it's all fear, it all has the same detrimental effect on the organism.

...lol ruth, live on the Big Island of Hawaii at 5000 feet 22 miles from the summit of Kilauea...it's a beautiful sunny morning here...when i finish my cup of Ka'u coffee my wife and i will take the dogs down to the beach and run them for a bit, i'll take my morning swim then spent the day working outside in my gardens...great to be alive!
Whoa! I think I'll pretend I'm you for my meditation today. (Except for the living-on-the-edge-of-Kilauea part. ) Still, I bet you have a killer view! ...um, no, that's not what I meant. I mean, I bet you have a breathtaking view!

Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,974,879 times
...lol..you we're right the first time...it's a 'killer' view...

Old 05-31-2020, 08:50 AM

307 posts, read 99,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Most people that I've talked to these days aren't fearful, they're just really, really bored.
This is so true. I met many people who think that they are depressed, while they are actually only very bored. And they are bored because they have too much free time and - they are lazy. A lazy and bored brain is a disaster waiting to happen. Laziness and boredom can create all sorts of bad moods, thoughts and feelings and make a person think that there's something wrong with him/her. They can also create fear and anxiety. Our ancestors were too busy with survival, hard work, many children and had no time to be bored and lazy. Our brain is actually made for that kind of life, not the one we live today. So, we must find some ways to keep our mind (and hands) occupied in order to stay sane.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,376,351 times
Fear is bound up in our mind's design just like all animals. For many thousands of years humans had to be vigilant of predators and being killed by other humans. In our much safer modern society we maintain a higher level of stress than is needed.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:20 PM

23,905 posts, read 32,227,284 times
I don't obsess over things, but there ARE actual reasons today to have a certain amount of apprehension, anxiety or fear in 2020.

Let's face it. So many things are going on in the world right now that should make normal, emotionally healthy people fearful.

1. We are in the throes of a global pandemic, for which there is no cure, and no vaccine.

2. The United States is being run by a malignant narcissist and a team of religious zealots. City Data skews right, but in the real world, for which only a little more than one quarter of Americans voted.
Only 27% of eligible voters put their faith in this psychopathic huckster. That's it.

The remainder of Americans are fearful that we have an incompetent and delusional individual who is running the country - into the ground.

3. This does not only effect US citizens. Think of our neighbors to the north, Canadians, and Mexicans who he detests. He's holding children in concentration camps. Think of the rest of the world. They are fearful of what trump may do next.

4. We have black and brown people in this country who fear for their lives because law enforcement is murdering black people, especially men, with the encouragement of the president and his cult.

5. The same president is plundering our national parks, and denying climate change.

Let's just say, we live in turbulent times.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,808,045 times
The mainstream media promotes fear deliberately. Besides being good for profits, it's great for dividing the populace against itself.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:51 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,560,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't obsess over things, but there ARE actual reasons today to have a certain amount of apprehension, anxiety or fear in 2020.

Let's face it. So many things are going on in the world right now that should make normal, emotionally healthy people fearful.

1. We are in the throes of a global pandemic, for which there is no cure, and no vaccine.

2. The United States is being run by a malignant narcissist and a team of religious zealots. City Data skews right, but in the real world, for which only a little more than one quarter of Americans voted.
Only 27% of eligible voters put their faith in this psychopathic huckster. That's it.

The remainder of Americans are fearful that we have an incompetent and delusional individual who is running the country - into the ground.

3. This does not only effect US citizens. Think of our neighbors to the north, Canadians, and Mexicans who he detests. He's holding children in concentration camps. Think of the rest of the world. They are fearful of what trump may do next.

4. We have black and brown people in this country who fear for their lives because law enforcement is murdering black people, especially men, with the encouragement of the president and his cult.

5. The same president is plundering our national parks, and denying climate change.

Let's just say, we live in turbulent times.
Amen, Sheena. Very well said. I am fearful for the US and I don't even live there anymore.

Also fearful of being on an airplane for 20 hours next month, to get home. And no idea how things are going there.

But day to day, no. The population here is cooperating with safety measures. Not cramping our style any.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM

4,081 posts, read 2,970,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm not fearful, and even though I am a bit of a recluse, I am a bit bored. I want to visit a few places, but only after the COVID-19 panic is over and I can visit without worrying about masks, social distancing, etc. I am more concerned about catching COVID-19 than I am about being struck by a meteorite while wandering outside, but not much more concerned.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM

13,649 posts, read 12,301,839 times
It's actually a good article and makes the excellent point about Novel fears, pointing out irrational fears that many people do harbor despite taking greater risks every day (fear of flying despite driving a car that's more dangerous.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology