Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 03:16 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopRock View Post
I have never any personal experiences, but the reason why I get that expression of fathers and brothers never wanting their daughters/sisters to find love is because of the overprotective fathers and brothers thing that is usually portrayed in movies, TV shows, and other forms of fiction. And also, because of the stuff that people usually say on the internet about overprotective fathers and brothers.
You need to understand, that TV and the movies are entertainment. This means, they're a combination of fantasy, amusing cliches and stereotypes, and anything else the producers think the public would find to be entertaining. They are not reality, nor accurate reflections of reality. For example, this is not part of your reality, nor the reality of any of your girlfriends. Therefore, you can ignore it.

The same goes for the internet. The internet tends to provide a distorted impression of reality, in part because it tends to attract a lot of unhappy people who have a need to complain. You need to take some of the internet with a big grain of salt.

Why would you be worried about things portrayed in the media and on the internet, if they weren't relevant to your life anyway? Why would you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 03:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
I have never any personal experiences, but the reason why I get that expression of fathers and brothers never wanting their daughters/sisters to find love is because of the overprotective fathers and brothers thing that is usually portrayed in movies, TV shows, and other forms of fiction. And also, because of the stuff that people usually say on the internet about overprotective fathers and brothers.
See the word in red above? That is your answer.

TV has a lot of clichés that don't really happen in real life. One internet meme does not equal reality.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 9,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to understand, that TV and the movies are entertainment. This means, they're a combination of fantasy, amusing cliches and stereotypes, and anything else the producers think the public would find to be entertaining. They are not reality, nor accurate reflections of reality. For example, this is not part of your reality, nor the reality of any of your girlfriends. Therefore, you can ignore it.

The same goes for the internet. The internet tends to provide a distorted impression of reality, in part because it tends to attract a lot of unhappy people who have a need to complain. You need to take some of the internet with a big grain of salt.

Why would you be worried about things portrayed in the media and on the internet, if they weren't relevant to your life anyway? Why would you care?
The only reason I care is just because I'm curious to how most fathers and brothers actually feel about their daughters/sisters dating and getting married. That's just all.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
See the word in red above? That is your answer.

TV has a lot of clichés that don't really happen in real life. One internet meme does not equal reality.
Well there is a reason for the Overprotective father/brother cliché that is often portrayed in fiction.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:24 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
The only reason I care is just because I'm curious to how most fathers and brothers actually feel about their daughters/sisters dating and getting married. That's just all.
Most of them are happy about it. But I get the feeling you won't believe that.

OK, are we done here? You got your answer.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most of them are happy about it. But I get the feeling you won't believe that.

OK, are we done here? You got your answer.
I just have trouble believing that. But, yes, we are done here.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:28 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,566,637 times

https://vimeo.com/250535630

Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
Quote:
Why?

What is behind this curiosity?

Old 06-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why?

What is behind this curiosity?
Because of the fact that I always hear about overprotective fathers/brothers through movies, TV, and other forms of fiction. And because of people talking about it a lot on the internet.

And because of that, I'm curious about how fathers/brothers actually feel about the idea of their daughters/sisters dating and getting married. That's all.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:52 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,556,501 times
Are you a daughter or a son yourself? A sister or a brother?

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 06-12-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology