Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 05:17 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I also find that dads policing their daughter's sexuality to be a tad creepy.
And a bit frightening-- I've heard of a few men who say they know what men are like and that's why they don't want their daughters dating. What does this imply, that they don't want a woman they love experiencing it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And it isn't even just a "misogyny" thing, when it becomes something that such an individual then reverses into serious distrust of other men. How many times have I heard men talk about women as being naive and too trusting, saying, "It's not that I don't trust her, I don't trust guys..." As though the notion that a man actually respecting or caring about a woman is beyond unlikely, especially if he is attracted to her?
Not to mention, gee thanks if you think it's unlikely someone could genuinely care about her, FFS. Or that she's too dumb to know if she's being mistreated. Heaven help me if my dad ever thought or does think either of those things about me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 9,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Are you a daughter or a son yourself? A sister or a brother?
I'm a son, but I don't any sisters. I have had many girlfriends before, but I have never actually dealt with an overprotective father nor brother before.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopRock View Post
I'm a son, but I don't any sisters. I have had many girlfriends before, but I have never actually dealt with an overprotective father nor brother before.
In light of your experience with having had girlfriends who didn't have overly protective male relatives, why does what you see portrayed in fictional media trump that which you've experienced in your own dating life?

Art often only imitates life to the barest minimum in order to make it relatable to the masses.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:58 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopRock View Post
Then why did you start this thread? Why do you seem to believe the fictional situations in the media?

This makes no sense.What's the purpose of your thread? In view of your most recent statement, this requires clarification.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then why did you start this thread? Why do you seem to believe the fictional situations in the media?

This makes no sense.What's the purpose of your thread? In view of your most recent statement, this requires clarification.

I have however had many female friends that told me that their fathers/brothers were extremely overprotective, and they hated it whenever they dated someone.

And I have heard many similar stories on the internet too. A lot of fictional situations are based on real stuff. The purpose of this thread is to figure out what fathers/brothers actually think of the idea of their daughters/sisters finding love.

Last edited by TipTopRock; 06-12-2020 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 07:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Did you figure it out?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
OP, I completely agree with you. And I'll go one step further on a lot of fathers . . . they're not being "overprotective". They don't want their daughters ever to have sex, deep in the recesses of their minds. They make jokes about it, haha, you can google "So you want to date my daughter" and come up with endless "funny" memes from men who are trying to scare all young men away.

These men don't seem worried their daughters would be victims of violence or hurt - that's just being a parent.

Funny, I don't see dads ever getting wrapped up in drama with mean girls. Don't care. Mean girls hurt their daughters to the very core, uh huh, I don't need that drama, says Dad.

Coincidentally, I just listened to a bit by Bill Engval earlier today, who I think is one of the funniest men on the planet. But his bit about boys who come around to date his daughter is just creepy as hell. Be back by 8:30, and boy, if you touch her, well, I don't mind going back to prison. And the audience erupts in laughter.

You're not crazy for seeing it. And anything that has wended its way into our music, fiction, comedy, and t-shirts is a thing. It's a thing. Many men don't want other men coming around their daughters. And although these men have never behaved inappropriately with their daughters, and never would, they also want to keep them chaste.

I haven't seen this with brothers, though. I've seen brothers fly off into a rage when some peer shames their sister or violates her against her will. Which is understandable.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-12-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

So, what's your real question? Why are you here? Did you have something you need advice on?

Troll is my guess.

I never had any issues with my sisters dating, except for one prick of a boyfriend one of my sisters had long ago who got her into drugs. He committed suicide when he was 35. No loss to anybody but his mother by then.

I never had any issues with my daughter dating. She was smart enough to make good choices and my son-in-law is aces.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:58 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP, I completely agree with you. And I'll go one step further on a lot of fathers . . . they're not being "overprotective". They don't want their daughters ever to have sex, deep in the recesses of their minds. They make jokes about it, haha, you can google "So you want to date my daughter" and come up with endless "funny" memes from men who are trying to scare all young men away.

These men don't seem worried their daughters would be victims of violence or hurt - that's just being a parent. Funny, I don't see dads ever getting wrapped up in drama with mean girls. Don't care. Mean girls hurt their daughters to the very core, uh huh, I don't need that drama, says Dad.

Coincidentally, I just listened to a bit by Bill Engval earlier today, who I think is one of the funniest men on the planet. But his bit about boys who come around to date his daughter is just creepy as hell. Be back by 8:30, and boy, if you touch her, well, I don't mind going back to prison. And the audience erupts in laughter.

You're not crazy for seeing it. And anything that has wended its way into our music, fiction, comedy, and t-shirts is a thing. It's a thing. Many men don't want other men coming around their daughters. And although these men have never behaved inappropriately with their daughters, and never would, they also want to keep them chaste.

I haven't seen this with brothers, though. I've seen brothers fly off into a rage when some peer shames their sister or violates her against her will. Which is understandable.
t.i. last year tweeted out that he takes his 18-year old daughter to the ob-gyn every year to make sure her hyman is still in place eventhough he knows his 14-year old son is sexually active. i'm not saying that hollywood is real but it is a hyperbole of reality.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Troll is my guess.

I never had any issues with my sisters dating, except for one prick of a boyfriend one of my sisters had long ago who got her into drugs. He committed suicide when he was 35. No loss to anybody but his mother by then.

I never had any issues with my daughter dating. She was smart enough to make good choices and my son-in-law is aces.
I'm not trolling. I'm being serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology