Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 08:21 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopRock View Post
I'm actually a guy who doesn't have any sisters, and I never had to deal with any overprotective fathers or brothers whenever I had a girlfriend.

But I had many female friends who had overprotective fathers/brothers who hated it whenever they dated.

And also, the whole overprotective father/brother thing happens a lot in fiction.

And also, there are shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

So I was just curious to know if most fathers/brothers actually hate the idea of their daughters/sisters dating and getting married someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 AM

17 posts, read 9,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I'm being 100% honest.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:03 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I agree with this. But the sentiment behind it...they're not comfortable with their daughter's sexuality and they know guys are horny as hell, because they remember that THEY were horny as hell.

Lol err no , that is not de facto. It’s not the sexuality thing, it’s that we were not looking forward to dealing with some of the boyfriends our daughter brought home and the emotional roller coaster. Also having to hear how gorgeous and amazing the current one was every five seconds drove us bonkers.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:05 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My dad always wanted me to find someone. He’s got dementia now, and it really preoccupies him that I’m single. I just tell him I’m the queen of my own little empire and I don’t wanna screw up my happy existence.

I have never encountered a father who genuinely wished his daughter would remain single.
Me neither. We were so happy ours found love and a sweet dear husband, however if she had wanted to remain single and it made her happy that would make us happy too. . We just wanted our daughter to be happy.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:49 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Me neither. We were so happy ours found love and a sweet dear husband, however if she had wanted to remain single and it made her happy that would make us happy too. . We just wanted our daughter to be happy.
That is a very sweet post. My folks were terrified when they left us at the airport as children. But we came back as adults two years later.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:59 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
No matter what, most fathers seem to hate it whenever their daughters dates someone. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

I have also heard many fathers on the internet say that they hate the idea of their daughter dating someone someday, and are completely against it. So it seems to me that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to date and be in a romantic relationship with someone.

The same thing can be same about brothers and sisters too. No matter what, most brothers seem to hate it whenever their sisters dates someone.

And I have also too have heard many brothers on the internet say that they hate the idea of their sister dating someone someday, and are completely against it. And so it seems to me that most brothers (like fathers) don't ever want their sisters to date and be in a romantic relationship with someone.
Well that hasn't been my experience. It all depended on if they liked the guy or not. Both my father and brother liked my former fiance with whom I was in a long-term relationship (about 10 years; was sad when it ended and would have preferred for him to stay in the family in a relationship with me) but they couldn't stand my husband and did not want me to marry him. My family is socially liberal though, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, but who does that in 2020? Isn't that gag an anachronism at this point? Maybe in hyper-conservative areas, the Bible Belt, and the like, it's still relevant, but not for most of America.
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Like my husband was sort of like that; like when we got married he always said if we had a daughter he would have to load up on shotguns and require one of the boy's kidneys as collateral before he'd let our daughter go out on a date. I think it's that old-fashioned, conservative way of thinking.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:04 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I think good parents don't want their daughters or sons getting seriously involved with someone until they are mentally mature enough to make good decisions, and preferably are self sufficient.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default It does

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't think it's always that. Does anyone else remember the thread here started by a woman who was upset that her young son learned an offensive term at school? She was more upset at the loss of innocence than anything else, wanting to protect him and keep him from outside (corrupting) influences for as long as possible. I think to some extent this is similar, sexuality plays into it, but it's not so much about being overly concerned with the specifics of the daughters sexual life as it is about the loss of innocence, wanting to keep her his 'little girl' for as long as possible. And I realize there is some overlap, but I hope I'm making sense of what I'm trying to get across, that it's not 'just' about sexuality.
That makes sense.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:01 PM

17 posts, read 9,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Well that hasn't been my experience. It all depended on if they liked the guy or not. Both my father and brother liked my former fiance with whom I was in a long-term relationship (about 10 years; was sad when it ended and would have preferred for him to stay in the family in a relationship with me) but they couldn't stand my husband and did not want me to marry him. My family is socially liberal though, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Like my husband was sort of like that; like when we got married he always said if we had a daughter he would have to load up on shotguns and require one of the boy's kidneys as collateral before he'd let our daughter go out on a date. I think it's that old-fashioned, conservative way of thinking.
So does that mean your husband would never want your daughter to find love someday if you and him had a daughter?

Old 06-13-2020, 03:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Well this is my real question. I'm wondering what goes through most fathers' and brothers' heads when their daughter or sister dates someone.
Ingrained cultural sexism. Women (including daughters) are the "property" of the family's men and as such they "own" the daughter's body against "sexual defilement."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology