Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 04:36 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

To some extent, yes.
I knew a guy named Randy in grade school, expected the next Randy I met to be similar. He kind of was, maybe the name helps form character.

Aside from that, when I hear the name Donny, I expect an Osmond type.

I don't automatically love or hate someone just based on their name, but it does bring memories and expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 05:48 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Nope!

Old 06-21-2020, 05:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Nope! The demeanor of the new person dictates how I feel about them first. If some remembered association crops up later it might have a momentary effect but then it gets squashed as ridiculous.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:07 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Maybe on some level, depends... on how they look also? Some people don't seem to fit their face with their name. Sometimes I'll subconsciously assign them a random name, and keep calling them that name because I associate them with certain phonetics. IDK...

I'm bad with names, so unless if someone really sticks out with a unique name and I hear it again, I might have a brief "Aha!" moment, and think of that person with positive attributes, and then I snap back to reality and think, that's great and all...

People do tend to on some level associate their names with their personas..

Old 06-22-2020, 06:49 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Suppose you were very fond of someone named Jane. Will this make you more likely to like someone you meet named Jane? Conversely, let's say you really couldn't stand someone named Jim. Will you automatically react negatively upon meeting someone else with that name? Or do you feel no correlation between how you feel about a particular Jane or Jim (or whoever) and anyone else with those same names?
I feel no correlation, however if I met someone who was a horrible person I would not give my child the same name no matter how much I liked it. When I was younger I wanted to name any son I had Damian. Then The Omen came out and that was the end of that.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:41 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I'll be the outlier and say yes, at least for an unspecified amount of time until the association went away, if ever.

Certain names have awful connotations for me and it would take some mental strength to rise above the negative associations.

I hope I never have a potential friend with those names. I am trying to put those people behind me and that would dredge it all up again.

I mean, how many Adolphs do you run across these days!

Old 06-22-2020, 10:06 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
A little bit, unless I know the people well. For example, there were two Cheryls in school I didn't like. So I don't like the name Cheryl today and it is not a name I would consider giving to a child or pet, etc. But if I meet someone named Cheryl and get to know the person the name would not impact how I feel about the person.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
I admit it will give me pause. You can't help an emotion bubbling up. But you can control your reaction to that emotion.

My adult daughter, unbeknownst to her, named her cat the same human name as an old boyfriend of mine, one who was controlling and emotionally abusive. This was from before I met her dad. I cringed at first, now when I say the name it's just the cat. My daughter didn't know about existence of the guy or his name. Well, until my sister told her. Grr.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
No.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:57 AM

1,161 posts, read 466,032 times
There's a great scene in the movie Harvey where the psychiatrist asks Elwood P. Dowd about the name of his 6'-3-1/2" invisible pooka:
Dr. Sanderson: Think carefully, Dowd. Didn't you know somebody, sometime, someplace by the name of Harvey? Didn't you ever know anybody by that name?

Elwood P. Dowd: No, no, not one, Doctor. Maybe that's why I always had such hopes for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology