Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 02:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
You are a survivor, sir; I hope I live as long as you will.

You are about the same age as my parents; at your age you are high risk. I told my parents plainly, that if they catch this thing they are likely gone. So let's ensure that doesn't happen. At the beginning of the pandemic we told them not to go out at all. Food was delivered to them. They simply did not leave the house. When we deliver food, we just put on the porch. Grand kids don't go visit them; they don't come visit grand kids; they just talk over the phone. We had masks delivered to them early on in case they absolutely need to go out. They are only now starting to go out to banks and stuff. We go to this extreme because of the higher risk for this age group.

You just never know where or who has the virus. It's like when I go into the field with poison oak, I always take caution to avoid poison oak, but somehow I always get it.

If "don't have mask" is the only reason you are not wearing one when out and about, it is a very very minor problem. Ask your neighbors; I bet someone will even just give you one.
Have your parents worked on their immune systems with Vit C, D and Zinc...I have for starting 25 yrs ago and know it's working in my life. It's called supplementing and especially as we age. And I'm a woman, thank you.

I have no other health conditions like many of the aging population... If arthritis counts then that' it.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
it’s something that none of us have had to do (besides medical workers) in our lives, and there’s no clear answer on when we’ll be able to stop. Is it when the # of cases worldwide is equal to zero?

Also, the whole “cover your facehole you potentially filthy, diseased rodent!” angle is kind of strange, you have to admit. I like being able to see other people’s faces when I’m out and about. Because, again, that’s what I had been doing for over 30 years before early April 2020.
A neighbor brought his brother visiting him from AZ to visit me yesterday...neighbor wears no mask except to go to the stores...his brother walks in and I could hardly see his face....I said I'd love to meet you and see your great face...he pulled his mask down... Again so many more are just so much more living in fear. He doesn't know me and how I've kept my immune system strong...so it's OK...but we had a nice visit and he relaxed with no mask.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:35 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
It's not convenient; it affects breathing. Yes I get all that. But in times of need - no matter sawing wood, cutting tiles, dentists working on teeth - we wear masks. Pandemic seems to be such a time.

So why are some people so upset about wearing a mask? What's the thinking?
I think the answer is largely in your OP. Certain Americans confuse freedom from civil liberties violations with freedom from inconvenience. The problem for the anti-mask types is that any irritation and annoyance due to the inconvenience of wearing masks is trivial compared to the "inconveience" of getting a serious respiratory infection, non-trivial possibility of death or serious disability. If you anti-maskers doubt that, then I ask you why petty annoyances that don't violate your dignity or quality of life are so easily forgettable while major illnesses inflict not-so-forgettable pain and suffering onto the sick person?

Old 06-27-2020, 04:28 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
We all like to see people as we are used to. But this is kind of an unusual stretch. You don't want to adapt just for the time being to ensure your own safety?
As repeated ad nauseum, wearing a mask is mostly to protect others from you (you asymptomatic, self-propelled petri dish, you ), not the other way around. Unless you work in close proximity to sick folks who are filling the air with viral particles and wear a NIOSH n95, a mask isn't doing all that much to increase your safety. It does help keep you mindful of others which isn't a bad thing.

I suspect people who refuse to wear masks might do so for a few reasons:

1. They don't like being told what to do by anyone. They rebel almost automatically against authority.
2. They believe the wool is being pulled over their eyes and they will continue to believe it until someone close to them dies of Covid-19.
3. They don't care about anyone other than themselves. Their inconvenience trumps all.
4. They don't understand the whole situation and choose not to understand.
5. They don't care about the whole situation...they are buried in their own concerns.
6. They might struggle with claustrophobia or breathing problems and a mask makes it worse.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-27-2020 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-27-2020, 06:14 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,246,982 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing. Not trying to change your mind, but just hope to further understand your view.

Wearing mask is not that unusual. For me personally, I always have some Home Depot masks around in my tool shed. If I have to continuously cut wood for more than 2 minutes, I would put on a mask because I don't want to suck in saw dust. People in many lines of work also wear masks: garbage collection, pumping septic tanks, certain police staff, dentists, lab people, etc.

We all like to see people as we are used to. But this is kind of an unusual stretch. You don't want to adapt just for the time being to ensure your own safety?
oh for the time being, absolutely I see the benefit. In mid-March I was very against any sort of lockdown, but in hindsight (ah, the benefit of hindsight!), I would have gladly taken a 2-week national weld-everyone’s-doors-shut quarantine to just get this over with rather than lumbering on for months and months like we have been.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:39 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I doubt very much that anyone has ever said don't sit on the beach re COVID unless they were referring to crowds.
I believe that Iread somewhere that you couldn’t sit on the beach in California, you could walk and exercise, but no sitting

Old 06-27-2020, 07:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
From experience .
They don't wear masks because it's a hoax.
The govt. And media are behind this, something to do with that guy in the white house and jeopardizing his re-election.
It's an infringement on their rights.
Wearing masks are stupid and shows weakness.
Everyone will get sick sooner or later, enjoy life.

Unfortunately this is a family member. I cannot just walk away in disgust.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I believe that Iread somewhere that you couldn’t sit on the beach in California, you could walk and exercise, but no sitting
Suspect the idea behind that is to force people not to congregate and to spend less time in the same spot. Its not that sitting itself is a problem, its what people tend to do while they are sitting. They don't move and tend to cluster together longer. Walkers and swimmers tend to do their thing and leave. Then others can take their "space".

Old 06-27-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
You read that one correctly, true what the experts were spouting out. If I were still into the beach world I would have gone down there and sat in the sun and of course no mask.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
From experience .
They don't wear masks because it's a hoax.
The govt. And media are behind this, something to do with that guy in the white house and jeopardizing his re-election.
It's an infringement on their rights.
Wearing masks are stupid and shows weakness.
Everyone will get sick sooner or later, enjoy life.

Unfortunately this is a family member. I cannot just walk away in disgust.
I don't know how much of all this about the guy in the white house, but there is sure a LOT of speculations on WHY it all happened.

I just saw a UPS guy delivering boxes upstairs and he was really sweating and working hard and so on his return down the stairs I asked him how his breathing was... he said fine...what's he gonna say, a sweaty mask with UPS across his mouth. It just occurred to me these workers don't come into our homes/apts, not here anyway, leave the pkgs/boxes at door etc...now I'm wondering do they have to have these on their faces for their whole work shifts, 8+ hrs -- talk about germs on the face.... Do they have to drive with them on too...yikes...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-27-2020 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology