Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:42 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I doubt anyone here could know why. But maybe you'd like to talk it out with a counselor and see if you can figure it out between you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 06:23 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
You're not broken beyond repair. Believing that is resistance to change. I agree that a 30 day rehab is totally insufficient for opiate dependence, the hardest substance to kick. But it sometimes takes years to work through issues that you have, and there are 2 big hurdles. Your biggest hurdle is readiness for change, and you don't seem ready. When you are ready to work hard to take action steps to have a higher quality of life, the therapist's big hurdle is the difficult task of helping you push through your resistance to change, which has to happen before you even get to your issues. Issues don't get resolved in therapy, they get put in their rightful place. There's no magic recipe in therapy, no light switch to flip, it's a journey that has to come from within you, not from within the therapist, and it can take years to accomplish and honestly, it's always a work in progress until you're 6 feet under. And that goes for all of us. Everyone has issues, some more difficult and debilitating than others. The therapist is a guide and trained to help you negotiate the journey. Instead of these issues blocking your vision, the goal is to push them off to the side, never gone, but not blocking your vision either. When people say "therapy didn't help me", the more accurate reality is that the patient didn't help themselves, which is a choice, a conscious decision to stay stuck. The combination of trauma and substance use disorders are a very difficult combination to overcome but it's doable and I hope you seek out some wellness instead of believing you are broken beyond repair, you're not. The fact that you're looking for a diagnosis (Schizoid) to explain your pain is indicative of your desire to understand yourself, but focusing on Schizoid is way off track and will be a fruitless path to pursue in my opinion. It doesn't address the underlying issues of trauma and substance dependence. So please at least consider what I'm saying and understand that it's on you, not a therapist, not a diagnosis, but you. Not something people like to hear, but true. The good message is that if you work hard, you can do almost anything but it's a journey, it doesn't happen overnight, and it's a difficult journey but again, doable. Consider taking it on and if not, ask youself why? If your answer is "I'm broken beyond repair", that's just a cop out. Take that phrase out of your vocabulary, it's your worst enemy.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM

235 posts, read 157,551 times
I do. I’ve always been a loner and “died on the vine” in high school when issues from my disorder started to arise. I’ve watched all my peers blossom and at 28 I’ve never landed a career for myself or been in a relationship. I don’t think it is likely I ever will. I have been tested for autism but what I have is actually a combination of depression, social anxiety, borderline personality disorder, and schizoid personality disorder

Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 12,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
You're not broken beyond repair. Believing that is resistance to change. I agree that a 30 day rehab is totally insufficient for opiate dependence, the hardest substance to kick. But it sometimes takes years to work through issues that you have, and there are 2 big hurdles. Your biggest hurdle is readiness for change, and you don't seem ready. When you are ready to work hard to take action steps to have a higher quality of life, the therapist's big hurdle is the difficult task of helping you push through your resistance to change, which has to happen before you even get to your issues. Issues don't get resolved in therapy, they get put in their rightful place. There's no magic recipe in therapy, no light switch to flip, it's a journey that has to come from within you, not from within the therapist, and it can take years to accomplish and honestly, it's always a work in progress until you're 6 feet under. And that goes for all of us. Everyone has issues, some more difficult and debilitating than others. The therapist is a guide and trained to help you negotiate the journey. Instead of these issues blocking your vision, the goal is to push them off to the side, never gone, but not blocking your vision either. When people say "therapy didn't help me", the more accurate reality is that the patient didn't help themselves, which is a choice, a conscious decision to stay stuck. The combination of trauma and substance use disorders are a very difficult combination to overcome but it's doable and I hope you seek out some wellness instead of believing you are broken beyond repair, you're not. The fact that you're looking for a diagnosis (Schizoid) to explain your pain is indicative of your desire to understand yourself, but focusing on Schizoid is way off track and will be a fruitless path to pursue in my opinion. It doesn't address the underlying issues of trauma and substance dependence. So please at least consider what I'm saying and understand that it's on you, not a therapist, not a diagnosis, but you. Not something people like to hear, but true. The good message is that if you work hard, you can do almost anything but it's a journey, it doesn't happen overnight, and it's a difficult journey but again, doable. Consider taking it on and if not, ask youself why? If your answer is "I'm broken beyond repair", that's just a cop out. Take that phrase out of your vocabulary, it's your worst enemy.
I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner I've been in the hospital as I have been having all these problems after rehab. I agree with slot of what you said but I don't think my drug problems have anything to do with my personality. I'm perfectly fine with who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology