Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:06 PM

16 posts, read 12,337 times

Advertisements

For a long time I wondered why I never cared much for people or wasn't interested in relationships. I just did a personality disorder test online and scored almost 100 for schizoid personality disorder. I have all the symptoms and I started wondering what could be the cause since know one knows. I think it was my mother abandoning me all the time the earliest was when I was six she would leave me for days at a time with my two year old brother and newborn sister and I would have to take care of them.

This happened all the way up until I was sixteen and moved out on my own because I hated her for not having a normal childhood. She was also very abusive physically and mentally and felt like if my mother could do that to me anyone could so I stay away from people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 11:18 AM

I should also say I just got out of rehab for heroin addiction four weeks ago while there I had to do therapy. I don't believe in it but I gave it a chance my therapist told me I was a rare person because she couldn't figure me out. I thought she was good at what she does so I don't think it's her fault she couldn't help me. It's probably just me being schizoid.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:39 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,277,855 times
Hi OP. It was interesting to read your posts. I am not sure if anyone really knows the cause of Schizoid Personality Disorder. I think it can be a combination of environment (most personality disorders arise due to adversity, and it sounds like you have experienced adversity, and I am sorry to hear you went through those things) and also genetic influences. Having any relatives on the schizophrenic spectrum can increase chances of having it. It is said that Schizoid is a manifestation of the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia (i.e. loss of interest in relationships, inability to experience pleasure, etc.), without the "positive" symptoms of schizophrenia (delusions, hallucinations). This is just a theory though.

Do the symptoms of Schizoid you have cause you some kind of distress, or are you wanting to change? I think as long as you are content with how you are and how your life is going, then its hard to say its really a "disorder." Its ok to go through life without friends, unless you are feeling lonely or wanting friends, but it sounds more like you are just not interested in relationships, and of course there is no law saying a person needs a relationship. Its a personal choice and we are all entitled to say we are happier alone.

The more difficult symptoms of Schizoid I think are the inability to experience pleasure, the anhedonia, the difficulty in motivating oneself to do what needs to be done, etc.

I am sorry to hear you had a heroin addiction but glad to see you have gotten treatment for it.

I hope this helps. Are you experiencing symptoms of Schizoid that are interfering with your ability to function in life or to enjoy life?

Old 07-01-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Hi OP. It was interesting to read your posts. I am not sure if anyone really knows the cause of Schizoid Personality Disorder. I think it can be a combination of environment (most personality disorders arise due to adversity, and it sounds like you have experienced adversity, and I am sorry to hear you went through those things) and also genetic influences. Having any relatives on the schizophrenic spectrum can increase chances of having it. It is said that Schizoid is a manifestation of the "negative" symptoms of schizophrenia (i.e. loss of interest in relationships, inability to experience pleasure, etc.), without the "positive" symptoms of schizophrenia (delusions, hallucinations). This is just a theory though.

Do the symptoms of Schizoid you have cause you some kind of distress, or are you wanting to change? I think as long as you are content with how you are and how your life is going, then its hard to say its really a "disorder." Its ok to go through life without friends, unless you are feeling lonely or wanting friends, but it sounds more like you are just not interested in relationships, and of course there is no law saying a person needs a relationship. Its a personal choice and we are all entitled to say we are happier alone.

The more difficult symptoms of Schizoid I think are the inability to experience pleasure, the anhedonia, the difficulty in motivating oneself to do what needs to be done, etc.

I am sorry to hear you had a heroin addiction but glad to see you have gotten treatment for it.

I hope this helps. Are you experiencing symptoms of Schizoid that are interfering with your ability to function in life or to enjoy life?
No not really I just started noticing I wasn't like most people and I started wondering why. When I looked up personality disorders schizoid stuck out to me because I have all of the symptoms. Doesn't really bother me just wondering if there was someone else who is dealing with this.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie35 View Post
No not really I just started noticing I wasn't like most people and I started wondering why. When I looked up personality disorders schizoid stuck out to me because I have all of the symptoms. Doesn't really bother me just wondering if there was someone else who is dealing with this.

The act of seeking to "connect" with someone belonging to the label of "Schizoid," is a very unschizoid thing to do.

Just so you know. If any Schizoids are lurking around here, its highly unlikely any would say "Oh hey, this person who identifies with my label is seeking to interact with me, I think I'll join in." Very unlikely to happen.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
The act of seeking to "connect" with someone belonging to the label of "Schizoid," is a very unschizoid thing to do.

Just so you know. If any Schizoids are lurking around here, its highly unlikely any would say "Oh hey, this person who identifies with my label is seeking to interact with me, I think I'll join in." Very unlikely to happen.
I'm not trying to connect with anyone asking and connecting are two different things.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie35 View Post
I'm not trying to connect with anyone asking and connecting are two different things.

It is, but thinking of it from the perspective of someone with a personality disorder. They would see it as seeking connection.

I replied to your post because I am familiar with schizoid. I am telling you how someone with schizoid would perceive it and would be adverse to engaging. Schizoids are not believers in or joiners of "labels."

I know people who have been diagnosed with Schizoid and the reaction usually is, "That psychologist doesn't know what he is doing. He can't label me. I don't accept that label. I am undefinable."

They reject the label. So I am just saying the likelihood one would join in here and say "Yeah, I am schizoid too." is almost nill.

Not that you shouldn't continue to post your thoughts or experiences. I am just relaying my knowledge of Schizoid PD, if its at all helpful to you.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:36 AM

924 posts, read 751,174 times
I want to say my therapist in high school diagnosed me with that...or at least, that's what she suspected.

It was never determined exactly what was "wrong" with me, but a few family members now think I could be on the autism spectrum.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:14 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
In the context of the severe childhood trauma and opiate dependence you describe, it seems displaced to be focused on having Schizoid PD which no one could definitively assert is either a cause or effect of either one of those issues. It has long been considered to be on the Schizophrenia spectrum of disorders and more recently the Autism spectrum. Therapy is a journey, and the goal of a therapist is not necessarily to "figure you out", so it's odd that a "therapist" would say that, they are there to help you discover yourself and to help you work towards change seeking a higher quality of life. Based on what you have revealed, if you have never seriously engaged in psychotherapy, you might want to give it a try because trauma and substance dependence are both permanent personality constructs and they are highly inter-related, unlike Schizoid PD.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
In the context of the severe childhood trauma and opiate dependence you describe, it seems displaced to be focused on having Schizoid PD which no one could definitively assert is either a cause or effect of either one of those issues. It has long been considered to be on the Schizophrenia spectrum of disorders and more recently the Autism spectrum. Therapy is a journey, and the goal of a therapist is not necessarily to "figure you out", so it's odd that a "therapist" would say that, they are there to help you discover yourself and to help you work towards change seeking a higher quality of life. Based on what you have revealed, if you have never seriously engaged in psychotherapy, you might want to give it a try because trauma and substance dependence are both permanent personality constructs and they are highly inter-related, unlike Schizoid PD.
I understand what you are saying but the recovery program I was in was only thirty days and she only got to see me once a week because she had other clients. I told her everything but how can she help me if she can't understand me? Like I said it's not her fault my own family doesn't understand me that's why I stay away. To be honest I think I'm broken beyond repair and I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology