Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,032,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Then why are you bringing it up on C-D? You open yourself up to comment by posting this type of stuff.
This thread didn't go the direction I was hoping.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know about that. There is always--always!--something around my house that needs to be fixed. I am pretty sure my husband spends more time on household repairs than I spend on social planning, spring cleaning, vacation planning, decorating, hiring painters, or making doctor appointments, put together. Those are all things I rarely to never do.

Bills, grocery shopping, and laundry, we can agree on. Those are constant.
But why do you assume that the woman is doing those?

Old 07-07-2020, 10:28 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,134,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
This thread didn't go the direction I was hoping.
There's probably some men's rights forum somewhere where you could get the validation you're seeking.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:36 AM

29,732 posts, read 34,322,320 times
Quote:
There is plenty of data out there about unequal household division of labor:

https://www.rewire.org/housework-une...aight-couples/

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-adv...sion-of-labor/

https://www.mprnews.org/episode/2020...set-the-scales

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-va...id-ncna1204491

Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 11,650,617 times
Quote:
The post I was responding to set up a contrast between household repairs and "managing the household" (a long list of other tasks).

In my family, my husband does household repairs and I, a woman, do most of the household management. So this division matched up with my reality and I responded in the spirit of that post.

By no means do I assume that every couple manages their household the way we do.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM

And those are all just feminist propaganda that ignore the tasks that men do more of.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 11,650,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's definitely true, but in a hypothetical family where both parents work and there are kids, many times the husband will say, "I do my part! I take out the trash. I clean the gutters. I change the oil. I mow the lawn." All important jobs, but compared with daily meal prep, laundry, cleaning, kids' activities, the workload is not the same.
Oh, I would certainly agree that a family in which both parents work full time and yet the wife does the lion's share of household chores, would not be a fair division at all.

To be honest, I don't know many couples with small children in which both parents work FULL time. There are a few, but for the most part, either the wife doesn't work outside the home (yes, I still know a fair number of families like this), or she works only part-time. Or the husband works part-time or works from home, and the wife works full-time. That happens too.

Every couple has to figure out what is best in their unique situation. Maybe one of them is much better at cooking than the other and enjoys it more. Maybe neither of them loves cooking, but one happens to be home a lot more than the other, so that person ends up cooking regardless. They probably also get a lot of take-out.

The important thing is that couples talk about it and work it out so no one thinks they are doing all the heavy lifting while the other is slacking.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 AM

29,732 posts, read 34,322,320 times
Quote:
And those are all just feminist propaganda that ignore the tasks that men do more of.
And there it is. Only took you dozens of posts to get to what your beef really is.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:02 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,134,810 times
Quote:
And where in C-D's rules does it say it's a woman's rights forum?
Nobody said it was. But this thread certainly seems to be heavily populated by rational people who, by and large, have found an equitable (if not equal) division of labor in their relationships and, by and large, see the same of those they have contact with.

I mean, the reaction that you "were hoping for" in this thread at least somewhat seems to be colored by the previous "suburban doormat" and other disparaging comments you have made. (Oh, look...such as the one quoted right above me.)

I didn't finish the statement before, so maybe you indeed have never heard it, but...:

If you're the only one who sees a problem and nobody else does....maybe it isn't a problem.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, I would certainly agree that a family in which both parents work full time and yet the wife does the lion's share of household chores, would not be a fair division at all.
I agree, but that is not what I'm talking about. And keep in mind that not all full-time jobs are equal.

Quote:
To be honest, I don't know many couples with small children in which both parents work FULL time. There are a few, but for the most part, either the wife doesn't work outside the home (yes, I still know a fair number of families like this), or she works only part-time. Or the husband works part-time or works from home, and the wife works full-time. That happens too.

Every couple has to figure out what is best in their unique situation. Maybe one of them is much better at cooking than the other and enjoys it more. Maybe neither of them loves cooking, but one happens to be home a lot more than the other, so that person ends up cooking regardless. They probably also get a lot of take-out.

The important thing is that couples talk about it and work it out so no one thinks they are doing all the heavy lifting while the other is slacking.
Agree with all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology