Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
move to Alaska
Don't. Most folks up here don't want you. They value respectful neighbors who contribute. That's how small remote communities (even a community of 2, 4, etc.) survive. When you invariably get into trouble WE have to risk our necks and use those despicable tax dollars you don't contribute to to rescue you!

I cannot even remember how many people I've met who have this little-cabin-in-the-boonies-but-modern-with-connectivity-comfortable-no-services-but-convenient dream. They last about a year. Go search through the AK subforum wannabe threads. Some are downright hilarious! Don't get me wrong...dreams are great. Some are much prettier staying dreams.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times
Quote:
you can also effectively try it out and see if you really actually like it.
doesn't need to be an island, but book yourself an isolation or solitary retreat somewhere for say one or two months, where you are totally alone and don't see anyone that entire time. Also no computers, no internet, no phone, no TV. Because that is a form of being around other people. Most people would have trouble spending two or three days completely alone, let alone several weeks or months.

you've talked about what you DON"T like and DON"T want.
what about what you DO like and what you DO want. Identify that and you are more likely to find contentment.
I actually have taken one baby step in this pursuit - I have a hide-away place at the edge of the land. But apparently that is still not far away enough. Association says I cannot put up a fence because it blocks the view; govt says to build an ADU I need biological impact study. Forestry dept people, Fish and Game people, and other govt people are constantly out watching people go about their activities with binoculars.

What I do want, is a place that is free from all that.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Haha I may actually pull the trigger. The opportunity is at the door. (Just that wife will not be too happy.)
Happy wife, happy life! Lol
Our “island” is a small farm in the South of France. We’re 15km from a small village (pop 300) and 45km from a city of any size (pop 88k). The solitude is nice, but if your not tempered towards being isolated for long periods it can mentally draining. This is something that both spouses need to be TOTALLY on board with doing. A big event for us is going to the farmers market in the village to socialize with our neighbors, or drive into the city for a movie or a meal. The good news it that we’re never bored because the work is never done. We grow our own fruit and vegetables, raise chickens and pigs for meat, poultry and eggs, and we have a couple of cows for dairy. ( we buy our beef from a local rancher), and spend a good deal of time canning, pickling, dehydrating and storing food. We are in the process of building a solar farm in order that we be completely off the grid.
We might venture into the city for some “essentials”... once a month, but other than that we are alone together the majority of the time. It’s a great relationship.... test. Lol And...it helps if your part farmer, rancher, carpenter, plumber, electrician and know some animal husbandry.
All this being said... I can’t think of any other place or lifestyle that I would personally prefer.
If you think you can hack it... I say GO FOR IT!

Last edited by Sydney123; 06-28-2020 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Are you talking an island in the ocean or fresh water?

Ocean islands can't always access water through a well:

The water resources of most small island developing states (SIDS) are often very limited and require special consideration to ensure that they are developed and managed in a sustainable manner. Many small islands, typically located in the humid tropics, have no surface water resources and rely on limited groundwater resources in the form of thin freshwater lenses. The exposed location of small islands makes them particularly vulnerable to natural disasters such as cyclones, floods and droughts. Pollution from population centres and from agricultural and other activities is an increasing problem. This article provides an overview of the water resources of small islands, and the main problems and issues related to water resources. Some suggested solutions, based on practical experiences, are offered for water resource assessment and monitoring programmes, and water resource development. Water resource policy, planning and management issues are also addressed, and suggested approaches for resolving some of the major water resource problems presented.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Are you talking an island in the ocean or fresh water?

Ocean islands can't always access water through a well:

The water resources of most small island developing states (SIDS) are often very limited and require special consideration to ensure that they are developed and managed in a sustainable manner. Many small islands, typically located in the humid tropics, have no surface water resources and rely on limited groundwater resources in the form of thin freshwater lenses. The exposed location of small islands makes them particularly vulnerable to natural disasters such as cyclones, floods and droughts. Pollution from population centres and from agricultural and other activities is an increasing problem. This article provides an overview of the water resources of small islands, and the main problems and issues related to water resources. Some suggested solutions, based on practical experiences, are offered for water resource assessment and monitoring programmes, and water resource development. Water resource policy, planning and management issues are also addressed, and suggested approaches for resolving some of the major water resource problems presented.
It will be ocean island further north (cannot afford tropical area). My plan is to find one that already has a natural freshwater lake/pond. Yes well drilling on ocean island can be tricky; some of the islands I have looked at do have wells; so I am hopeful this is viable but will confirm with a driller if I move forward. The islands I am looking at are all very close to mainland within maybe 3-4 miles. One more fall back option is rain catchment.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:09 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
For $250,000, that would buy a lot of extended getaways. Let's see at $150 a night for 30 nights is $4,500, round it off to $5,000 with food, that would by 50 one-month vacations. A person could take 3 of those a year for the next 17 years. i would opt for that. way too much work and upkeep otherwise.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I actually have taken one baby step in this pursuit - I have a hide-away place at the edge of the land. But apparently that is still not far away enough. Association says I cannot put up a fence because it blocks the view; govt says to build an ADU I need biological impact study. Forestry dept people, Fish and Game people, and other govt people are constantly out watching people go about their activities with binoculars.

What I do want, is a place that is free from all that.
If you intend on taking advantage of natural resources, those studies and the attention from forestry, state game, and other agency folks ensure that you continue to HAVE them long term. Do you seriously think what you do on your remote property doesn't affect it? The septic you want to handle your cr*&, the well you expect to drink out of, the squeaky clean air you expect to breathe, the unpolluted soils you want to grow your organic veggies in...humans are one of the few species that are insanely efficient at fouling their own nest unless someone else more knowledgeable makes them toe the line.

When the meth lab or marijuana grow house (yeah, they like remote places too!) down the lane decides you are a threat and decides to take you out you'll be sorry no one kept an eye on the neighbors.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Happy wife, happy life! Lol
Our “island” is a small farm in the South of France. We’re 15km from a small village (pop 300) and 45km from a city of any size (pop 88k). The solitude is nice, but if your not tempered towards being isolated for long periods it can mentally draining. This is something that both spouses need to be TOTALLY on board with doing. A big event for us is going to the farmers market in the village to socialize with our neighbors, or drive into the city for a movie or a meal. The good news it that we’re never bored because the work is never done. We grow our own fruit and vegetables, raise chickens and pigs for meat, poultry and eggs, and we have a couple of cows for dairy. ( we buy our beef from a local rancher), and spend a good deal of time canning, pickling, dehydrating and storing food. We are in the process of building a solar farm in order that we be completely off the grid.
We might venture into the city for some “essentials”... once a month, but other than that we are alone together the majority of the time. It’s a great relationship.... test. Lol And...it helps if your part farmer, rancher, carpenter, plumber, electrician and know some animal husbandry.
All this being said... I can’t think of any other place or lifestyle that I would personally prefer.
If you think you can hack it... I say GO FOR IT!
Your are living the best lifestyle in my view. To me, this is what it means to have made it. (I'm still working on it)

Last edited by RobertFisher; 06-28-2020 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
For $250,000, that would buy a lot of extended getaways. Let's see at $150 a night for 30 nights is $4,500, round it off to $5,000 with food, that would by 50 one-month vacations. A person could take 3 of those a year for the next 17 years. i would opt for that. way too much work and upkeep otherwise.
That is very sound analysis.

I will only throw in to the considerations mix, the investment nature of real estate in general, and the pride and satisfaction of ownership of such unique piece of the earth.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you intend on taking advantage of natural resources, those studies and the attention from forestry, state game, and other agency folks ensure that you continue to HAVE them long term. Do you seriously think what you do on your remote property doesn't affect it? The septic you want to handle your cr*&, the well you expect to drink out of, the squeaky clean air you expect to breathe, the unpolluted soils you want to grow your organic veggies in...humans are one of the few species that are insanely efficient at fouling their own nest unless someone else more knowledgeable makes them toe the line.

When the meth lab or marijuana grow house (yeah, they like remote places too!) down the lane decides you are a threat and decides to take you out you'll be sorry no one kept an eye on the neighbors.
Dang! Where’s my tin er....aluminum helmet!
We have a well and a natural spring that you can drink from right out of the ground. We also have a 60x40x10 foot greenhouse so that we can grow food year round. We only take the wild game that we need. ( a good size deer or boar will last for months). And yup.. the air is cleaner, the water is pure, and I am betting that a our carbon footprint is way smaller than yours. We care about the environment because we depend on it for a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology