Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,284,509 times

Advertisements

Is there any psychology profile for this type of thinking?

This doesn't mean desire to do something crazy like Ted Kaczynski; just want to be free from government regulations, police watching you, neighbors expecting you to behave a certain way, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:59 AM

61,420 posts, read 86,462,144 times
Well, here are few cheap islands for sale.
Follow your dream...
https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/a...ivate-islands/

Living by yourself in an isolated location effectively avoids the government. Take care not to fall ill or get injured, and if you do, do not call on the government to bail you out.

Don't want an island? Check on Slab City, CA...
I read that there people live off the grid and police themselve if any real policing is needed. It's pretty much Anarchy, as I understand it.

Last edited by elnina; 06-28-2020 at 04:19 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 04:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,047,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

This doesn't mean desire to do something crazy like Ted Kaczynski; just want to be free from government regulations, police watching you, neighbors expecting you to behave a certain way, etc.
It might be a reaction against where you live now.
No-one bothers us in north Maine.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 AM

61,420 posts, read 86,462,144 times
Quote:
It's called a sovereign citizen.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:02 AM

50,422 posts, read 36,095,389 times
Quote:

I don’t know if there’s a psychological profile, but I think in reality you’d want to have some civilization around. All I have to do is watch Tom Hanks knock out his own infected tooth in Cast Away to know that I would hate living alone and isolated, and I’m a very solitary person.

There are still plenty of places in this country will you can go and not be too bothered by people. Places like Idaho, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, you could never come in contact with a person again if you don’t want to. Of course the weather is brutal in winter which explains why there’s still so few people out in those places LOL.

Of course they’re still going to be government regulations, but I can’t imagine that they ‘d interfere with you much by yourself, and it’s very easy to not have neighbors around you too. It’s actually easy to live isolated from neighbors and many many many places probably every state in the union has places where you can get away from people altogether.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:54 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,647,959 times
OP: Make it come true and you won't need to wear a mask either.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,284,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Make it come true and you won't need to wear a mask either.
Haha I may actually pull the trigger. The opportunity is at the door. (Just that wife will not be too happy.)

Old 06-28-2020, 12:12 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,845,439 times
Quote:

It's a nice fantasy. But there's nowhere to run any more. Time to find like minded people to fight the surveillance state. It's a fairly small minority, but more people are waking up.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 PM

25,432 posts, read 17,114,229 times
Quote:

Read the story of Alexander Selkirk, who was the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe. There are many sources, so I won't pick one.

Selkirk voluntarily marooned himself on an island, and survived From Sep 1704 to Feb, 1709. I have a first person account of his rescue, and according to the captain who rescued him, Selkirk could not have cared less if no one ever rescued him. But he could no longer make himself understood, having not spoken to another human in years. He is described as being so "fleet of foot" that he could catch any goat on his island, and some of the dogs had trouble keeping pace.
Selkirk had lamed some of the native goats so that if he were sick or injured he could still catch one. His island, San Fernando, had some sort of wild berry growing that provided nourishment an water was plentiful.
Some sources say he disappeared into history, but others have him dying in a yellow fever epidemic.

I no longer sail, but I was a sailor of various sorts before I got married at the age of 45 and retired when I was 66.
Today, I satisfy my wanderlust cravings by venturing alone in my old pickup. My next trip is to uninhabited and undeveloped Cape Lookout National Seashore, where I will camp alone for a night or two.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,045,394 times
Wilson! Wilson!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology