Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Just an FYI, no I do not like it when humans lose their lives to natural disasters, that is a very sad and unfortunate result of many disasters. It may sound twisted, but I love it when hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters, even pandemics impact human populations in first world countries. My reasoning for this is that in my view many, but obviously not all humans in first world countries have become very spoiled by technology science has produced and the societies they live in. When a natural disaster impacts these human populations, it makes many humans shy away from the usual trivial things they argue/worry about, and makes them focus on real issues that can directly impact their survival. As much as it is sad and tragic that many humans have lost their lives to CV-19, the impact it has had on our society at least here in the US is that in my view it has made many people in the population realize how spoiled they are w/ common goods and services that they used to take for granted. Even though the goods and services have been impacted, we are still very spoiled, however; I believe there are many things that humans in US society used to stress about that haven't been brought up as significant issues lately. I'll admit that the current debate some humans in our society are having about wearing a mask is what I would view as a true "1st world problem" in that the humans who are so up in arms about it obviously aren't short on food, water, or shelter, or they would be worried about that vs. a very trivial thing like wearing a mask. Of course, my views on all of this are subject to my own life experiences and my own level of self-responsibility. I am very blessed in that so far as I know I don't have any major medical issues, I have clean water to drink, good food, and I am mobile w/ all of my major senses. Although I'm not a rich guy, I am very blessed to have all of these things. I would love to hear your all's views on these ideas. Thank you
I seem to have heard, that the virus does not care if you are rich or poor, black or white, tall or short, young or old, 1st or 3rd, bla bla bla....

Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I get it. Natural disasters, pandemics, etc... are Nature's only way to hit the reset button on humans.

C19 has obviously been a game changer for the entire world, but we have people who think it's some Democrat hoax and they somehow got all the other countries in the world to follow along and ruin their economies... to what end???

So yeah, when viewed in that light, my hope is that the people who don't understand this pandemic will continue to not take precautions, not wear masks, etc, and when they get it, perhaps their stupidity dies with them. Even just a 100 years ago, if you were born with a health issue of some kind, your life expectancy was greatly diminished. Fast forward to now though, and we have medicines, surgeries, etc, to prolong your life. But what we're seeing now... is people who have a mental issue. Whether they simply don't possess a high enough IQ to listen and understand what the experts are telling them to do, or their ego prevents them from "giving up their freedom" by wearing a mask to reduce C19 spread... they're helping the gene pool IMO.
Yes, it is extremely disturbing to see what a large percentage of the population this is. Before this, I would have guessed less than 10%...at least before 2016. Now it's more like half. Really shocking.

Then inevitably, I wonder, how do these people have jobs? With these mental issues? Isn't that cognitive dissonance?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:17 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Modern society has worked very hard for decades to ignore natural law and predictable human behavior. It's a flaw, I think, generally of those who are idealists, who want something better, want more freedom than being human affords. It's also a flaw of the deviant and criminal minded. Maybe it's just a universal flaw of humans for different reasons.

Ironically the only way to make those things even appear to happen is with a lot of force because very little change happens unless people are rewarded for it or are punished for not doing it. And changing natural law, of course, is folly but every generation has made an effort. Humans really do hope to be a universal controlling force. It makes life less scary.

I had to learn these lessons as a young person and they are painful ones indeed. But in doing so I learned more acceptance of life that is sometimes cruel and that trying to force ideals on others is either frivolous if gentle or brutal if forceful. Each must come to his own reckoning about how much personal power he has in the world.

Whether it is true or not I like to think that in my changes to adjust to that which can't be changed I have provided some ideas to people in my life on how to live well in a world that isn't always what I want it to be. I'm glad I wasn't blind to the message.

And, in a sense, I think I understand what the OP may be saying. Defeat is an opportunity for change.

A lot of times it is only when we have had our defenses removed and feel defeated that we are able and willing to find other ways to look at life and to operate within it. All tragedies are transformative experiences. Either for the better or for the worse.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:28 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, it is extremely disturbing to see what a large percentage of the population this is. Before this, I would have guessed less than 10%...at least before 2016. Now it's more like half. Really shocking.

Then inevitably, I wonder, how do these people have jobs? With these mental issues? Isn't that cognitive dissonance?
Not only how do these idiots somehow have jobs, but how do they manage to do things like taking care of their children, taking care of their property, avoiding various mishaps, etc...? I've come to the belief it's simply due to pure luck. By sheer luck, they don't have a disaster befall upon them, but it's no thanks to planning, precaution and mindfulness.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:23 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So what you actually love is when people are forced to reprioritize their lives.

It just sounds weird the way you wrote it ... "I love it when hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters, even pandemics impact human populations in first world countries." That on its own sounds cruel.
Exactly. It was worded poorly.

I have often thought that spoiled entitled youth of your country worrying about pulling down statues might do good with a rude awakening like a 911 or a WWII to understand what people had to sacrifice for their right to protest and march in the streets. But I wouldn't go so far as to say "I enjoy seeing people suffer'.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:56 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
1 in 100 people are psychopaths. That seems the most likely explanation for your behaviour.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:57 PM

355 posts, read 225,579 times
COVID-19 is wreaking havoc in 3rd world countries as well; it's just that in 1st world countries, we have the resources and capability to:

1) distinguish COVID-19 deaths from other deaths (starvation, war, HIV/AIDS, etc.)

2) actually treat patients in hospitals and not be dragging unnamed corpses out of the streets

Old 07-05-2020, 03:44 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Just an FYI, no I do not like it when humans lose their lives to natural disasters, that is a very sad and unfortunate result of many disasters. It may sound twisted, but I love it when hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters, even pandemics impact human populations in first world countries. My reasoning for this is that in my view many, but obviously not all humans in first world countries have become very spoiled by technology science has produced and the societies they live in. When a natural disaster impacts these human populations, it makes many humans shy away from the usual trivial things they argue/worry about, and makes them focus on real issues that can directly impact their survival. As much as it is sad and tragic that many humans have lost their lives to CV-19, the impact it has had on our society at least here in the US is that in my view it has made many people in the population realize how spoiled they are w/ common goods and services that they used to take for granted. Even though the goods and services have been impacted, we are still very spoiled, however; I believe there are many things that humans in US society used to stress about that haven't been brought up as significant issues lately. I'll admit that the current debate some humans in our society are having about wearing a mask is what I would view as a true "1st world problem" in that the humans who are so up in arms about it obviously aren't short on food, water, or shelter, or they would be worried about that vs. a very trivial thing like wearing a mask. Of course, my views on all of this are subject to my own life experiences and my own level of self-responsibility. I am very blessed in that so far as I know I don't have any major medical issues, I have clean water to drink, good food, and I am mobile w/ all of my major senses. Although I'm not a rich guy, I am very blessed to have all of these things. I would love to hear your all's views on these ideas. Thank you
Emkay, well I am a 1st worlder, like you. Im also in the healthcare field, and survived being in the Epi-center of the outbreak in New York City.

I agree with you on the issues of mask wearing, and also social distancing. We are obviously brats in regard to giving up the things we want to do. We are not shying away from danger. We are not shying away from arguing. If we were, a better time would have been chosen to assemble in mass allover the country to protest just about anything we can think of.

I don't think anyone that cares a hoot about anything is going to be out in the street, throwing caution to the wind, and not caring about their own protection, nor the protection of others. I know if you are young enough, you can lull yourself into believing that nothing is going to happen to you - other people will get the virus, you wont.

I don't agree that wearing a mask is trivial. When people don't know how fast Covid can make a healthy-appearing person into a dead person I guess they can take that stance. But, Ive seen it for myself. Three hours. That's right! Before you even know you are dieing, or anyone can try to get a ventilator to you, you can be gone. That makes that mask more important than food, clean water or anything else on your list.

I am not rich either, but that doesn't mean that I don't have it better than a great deal of people worldwide. I always count my blessings, mainly because I realize I can lose them so very easily.

I once saw an eye-opening show where a professor explained to a group of students that just being in the US - with nothing, homeless - you have it better than 90% of the people on the planet.

I cant agree that people realize how spoiled they are. If you look at the worldwide birth rate, and compare it to the worldwide death rate its obvious that people are leaving our overpopulation problem in the hands of God.

Even people who should have a clue - the exceptionally wealthy in the world - are just focused on how to keep their fortunes growing. I guess they haven't thought about how meaningless their bank balance is going to be when the planet refuses to support our lives anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:26 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
PARAGRAPHS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I give up after reading few lines of the wall block of words.
Yup.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:45 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
PARAGRAPHS!!!

Yup.

Agreed. Very tough to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology