Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 06:38 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times

Advertisements

No. But I enjoy spending time with them, even if it's not real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
It’s a dream nothing more he moved on you need to also

Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Back in about 2007, my dad was in the nursing home with Alzheimer's for many years. I never saw him for much of my life, even as a child, because they divorced when I was a toddler. I dreamed I was outside in the yard and he pulled up in this old car from the 50's, rolled down the window, and said to me "There's so much I want to tell you, but now there's no time." He looked sad and drove away leaving me standing there. I told my husband about the dream because it was so vivid. About 3 days later I got a call from my half-brother's wife. They lived near our dad in Alabama, and she said that he was dying and wouldn't make it more than a couple days. Of course he passed away. So I thought that was really weird, and like a visitation, because I didn't have any idea how he was doing, or that he was near dying, and in my dream he was basically saying goodbye, with regrets. I always had a feeling over the years that my dad didn't care for me as much as he did the older kids, and it was pretty hurtful. I had my suspicions why.

Fast forward to 2019, I did DNA test with my older brother, and the test proved that we were in fact not full siblings, but that I had a different father. I've since found that I have younger half siblings from my actual biological father, and we've met and they are great.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:21 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times
No, it's just a dream of someone who's been in your life in the past. If that person were still alive and you dreamed of them does that also mean they are visiting you? No, so the same logic would apply if the person you dream about is dead.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:14 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
I’m my case a friend who died young at 42 of cancer 2 years ago. Last night in my dream. Her hair was long like it was before chemo and she just stared at me. We were all sitting on a bed (me, and other people who I didn’t know). I don’t know if I believe it. Sometimes I think it’s just if you are talking or remembering that person recently. I have friends that strongly believe it’s them visiting. I had another friend who died young many years ago in her 20’s. Soon after I had a dream I was sitting in a circle and she leaned over and waived at me and I remember she had a bright blue shirt on. A friend of mine at the time said that’s her visiting you and telling you she is ok. She knows it would freak you out if she appeared to you while you were awake so she did if in a dream.
It is usually your subconscious. It is said that every person in your dream represents an aspect of one's own personality. I believe this to some extent. I also believe that in dreams, we work thru our relationships with others in our life. That is why significant people may appear repeatedly in our dreams.

Keeping a dream journal can be helpful if you truly want to explore yourself. After three months you will see a pattern emerge, particularly when it comes to individuals who have passed on.

Since I said that dead people who appear in dreams are usually a manifestation of one's own subconscious, I also think that occasionally, loved ones who have passed on DO appear in dreams - and while we are wakeful, to deliver a message - one of advice, caution, or encouragement.

I think a better place to discuss this aspect would be on the pagan religious forum or on unexplained mysteries and the paranormal.

ETA - Dreams in which the spirit of the dread appear, frequently have an intense quality to them.

It is often reported, as you have, that they wave. Your story rings true to me.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:50 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
My mother came to be when I was awake. I know that as sure as I am sitting here and she might have been (still be?) tethered to her house, though I never believed in such things before.

I felt her there after she died, in a general but very real way. When I laid down there crying over her, she touched me, stroked my arm to soothe me, and the effect was as instant as if she were there in person.

I continued to feel her there and only there until my brother left the home and it was sold. Perhaps she stays near him, I don't know. I haven't gone to the house since.

I rarely dream about her, to my dismay. Though more lately.

There is no advice or encouragement. It's standard dreams.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I lost my DH 5 years ago. I have dreams where he is still alive and I am worrying about things like giving the life insurance back. Or he is doing something obnoxious. Those are not visitations. I have had 2 or three very vivid dreams, where we were in each other's arms, so close, so happy. I could feel him slip away as I woke up. I believe those are visits.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My mother came to be when I was awake. I know that as sure as I am sitting here and she might have been (still be?) tethered to her house, though I never believed in such things before.

I felt her there after she died, in a general but very real way. When I laid down there crying over her, she touched me, stroked my arm to soothe me, and the effect was as instant as if she were there in person.

I continued to feel her there and only there until my brother left the home and it was sold. Perhaps she stays near him, I don't know. I haven't gone to the house since.

I rarely dream about her, to my dismay. Though more lately.

There is no advice or encouragement. It's standard dreams.

I dreamed about my dad once.

The dream started that 2 friends of mine were killed in an accident. I went to go visit them, as they had passed to 'the other side'. All these passed people were living on a big huge rock, but it was a staging area. This rock would not be their final place. I found my friends, and we chatted, and then I saw my dad. My dad was 78 when he passed, but in the dream, he looked to be about 30 yrs old. We were happy to see each other, but my dad was worried about where he was going to go, when it was time to leave the rock.

I didn't really know what to tell him. Then I glance away a little, and standing behind my dad is a Native American man, dressed in pure white buckskins, with long black hair, and he was radiant...I mean he practically glowed. I took this man to be Jesus Christ. He never said anything to me, but he kind of nodded to me, which let me know that my dad was going to be OK. He would leave the rock to go to a good place. So I told my dad it was going to be ok.

Interestingly, at the time, I was dealing with a situation at work, where I was dealing with a stalker. He really freaked me out, and I was unsure how to deal with this guy.

So I'm emailing a friend of mine, who knows this guy, but I'm telling her about my dream. I say something about my dad being on this rock, and not knowing where he's going to go. The phrase "between a rock and a hard place" pops in my head, which then triggers my mind to realize I'VE been between a rock and a hard place for a few months, and somehow it gave me the courage to report him. It was weird how that all worked out.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
I’m my case a friend who died young at 42 of cancer 2 years ago. Last night in my dream. Her hair was long like it was before chemo and she just stared at me. We were all sitting on a bed (me, and other people who I didn’t know). I don’t know if I believe it. Sometimes I think it’s just if you are talking or remembering that person recently. I have friends that strongly believe it’s them visiting. I had another friend who died young many years ago in her 20’s. Soon after I had a dream I was sitting in a circle and she leaned over and waived at me and I remember she had a bright blue shirt on. A friend of mine at the time said that’s her visiting you and telling you she is ok. She knows it would freak you out if she appeared to you while you were awake so she did if in a dream.
No, but if others do believe it and it gives them comfort that's great. I don't believe in the hereafter.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 AM

793 posts, read 331,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No. I usually conclude it's because my mind is playing around with my memory of them or wrestling with something left unresolved about that person.
I agree with this. I'm not even sure I believe in an afterlife, so how could I believe they were visiting me. I've dreamed about my Dad quite a bit, probably because I think about him often. I've dreamed about neighbor who was like a second mother to me. I don't know if its unresolved issues, although could be with my dad. More like things I never told him like how much I appreciated him and the regret I feel over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology