Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 03:28 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,811,469 times

Advertisements

I'll just live the best & happiest way possible w/ a good amount of caution. Honestly, I won't feel fully safe until there's an effective vaccine or cure. In the meantime, I used to get takeout/fast food a LOT, go to the movies, & shopping malls quite often, so those have stopped cold turkey & I miss it a lot! I may get food here & there, but nowhere near what I used to, which is a real bummer.

I never cared for the beach & I don't swim, but that may be the safest outing these days...to get off to an early start to avoid more people & just stroll along the shore or bicycle along the path.

I think going to outdoor malls will be OK as long as I get there at opening time on weekdays to avoid as much of the crowd as possible. I've always liked being at home, so having to stay at home more often doesn't bother me! I never get bored!

The carefree days of browsing the stores for fun are over for now. Now it's about getting in & outta there.

I've always tried to avoid crowds as much as possible BEFORE COVID. Now who knows when high-public OUTDOOR events will reopen, such as fairs, festivals, zoos, & amusement parks. I just hope they allow in many less people.

BTW, it's starting to show that a person can get COVID again & again like the common cold. I heard it just on the news the other night & then on this discussion board, someone said was was talking to one of her Respiratory Therapist friends who works in a hospital outside of the hot zone that still got hit hard. They were finally down to zero Covid patients until 1 patient came back this month. She was positive in March & very sick. She spent weeks in the hospital, was discharged & now is back in the hospital positive for Covid again & very sick, again.

So we're obviously seeing that people can get it again...doesn't matter HOW. As long as we're seeing that the same person who's had it before got it again is enough for everyone to be extremely careful. That's like getting repeated chances of dying all over again from just a few seconds of catching it. Oh, I HATE this virus!

I wonder if each time a person gets it, is it more severe each time they get it OR less severe each time? I'm sure that's different for each person. That means until there's a vaccine or cure, people can be in the hospital back & forth for the rest of their lives! Disappointed

Last edited by Forever Blue; 07-24-2020 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-24-2020, 03:36 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Many think they are healthier than they actually are and may actually have risk factors that make a COVID infection worse.

I'm fit, middle aged, yet I have hypertension. Well managed, but it is still there.

Additionally, I am a person of color and my demographic has been hit hard by COVID-19.

I don't "fear" this virus, but merely giving it respect. In one month, my state has tripled the number of cases and doubled the number of deaths. What is disconcerting though is that the number isn't going down or leveling off - it just keeps increasing without let up. Right now, we are 376k cases, while New York has gone down in cases. Deaths are over 150 most days. Yeah, I can get hit by a bus, or whatever...but there's no encouragement to take more risk here.

Further, the lack of real leadership at the federal and state level is troubling. Our country has totally bungled the handling of the virus and the reopenings have so far proved to be a total fail. If we had sensibly locked down and gradually reopened, we would be a lot better off. The political aspect is nauseating, particularly here in Texas. When we should be coming together under a strong governor so that businesses don't have to fold and we can reopen sensibly, we're instead divided as ever with the same D and R BS over wearing a damn mask. If people were wearing masks responsibly in the beginning, we could take more risk.

Lastly, many people are just downright disgusting. Don't give a crap about others, cough with impunity without covering it, don't bother to wash their hands...totally failing hygiene 101. It's not the virus itself, it's the people that are "scary". Wearing a mask that covers the nose but not the mouth.

As for the low mortality rate, that's deceiving. Sure, it isn't ebola or plague level, but it is more easily transmitted. The fact that in one month, infections tripled is sufficient proof for me. Whether I die or not doesn't matter, I don't want to deal with anything that with F up my lungs and possibly make me susceptible to breathing issues down the road either.

I also have an elderly mother and my MIL has lupus, so as much as it pains us, there's no way we can risk transmitting anything to them while the infection rate continues to increase. Our friends aren't exactly rushing to visit us either.
Agree with this 100%! I can't tell you how many people I see all the time walking around without masks, coughing without covering (seen this so many times!!!!), not respecting social distancing, etc. And prior to the pandemic (and I'm sure the same now), there is a segment of the population that will not wash their hands or practice good health hygiene. It's really odd and sad at the same time. It's for these reasons that I am for the strict mandates. If people were more respectful and regularly followed good basic public health practices (covering when they cough, frequent washing hands), there wouldn't be the need for these mandates and I would probably be able to keep living "normally." But I have fully adapted the new normal given that so much of the public doesn't seem to follow basic health principles.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 PM

6,805 posts, read 10,445,113 times
To me it is illogical to set a cut-off date. We do not dictate how this unfolds, we only control our own response. Live your life within the bounds of whatever safety guidelines you are given and don't have the attitude that you're waiting to live. Adapt.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:32 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,342,824 times
re: When will you allow yourself to live again (w/Covid ) ?

I went out of my comfort zone last night and went to a wedding. It was originally scheduled for April 2020. I felt like I had to go--a woman, 52 years old getting married for the first time. Old friend of 20 years.

Pretty disappointed by the lack of social distancing. Chairs were up against each other during the ceremony. Reception still eight chairs to a round table. Wedding party did not wear masks. Lots of people during the reception had their masks down. I stayed for about an hour.

i work for a large Company, I have now lost count of how many positive cases we have had. It is getting too real for me. I don't know when I will live a regular life again. I do remind myself that my ancestors lived through the Pandemic of 1918--it took some time, we have only been doing this for four months or so.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:33 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,342,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
To me it is illogical to set a cut-off date. We do not dictate how this unfolds, we only control our own response. Live your life within the bounds of whatever safety guidelines you are given and don't have the attitude that you're waiting to live. Adapt.
I do agree with you. I am learning to adapt.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:13 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,727,185 times
There are things I will not do, like eat inside a restaurant. It's ridiculous that you have to wear a mask to enter and then take it off to eat. Do you think the virus just stays at your table? This is airborne, and sharing the same indoor air space it too much of a risk. Ditto for going to a movie theater.

We used Instacart and Prime Fresh for groceries before my surgery. We grocery shopped an hour and a half away out of the hot zone up until June. I would try to buy enough to fill the freezer for a month. I always wore gloves and an N95 mask, and later, a surgical mask over the N95 when I could get them in the stores. We found a clean county reporting zero Covid to shop in, but that no longer exists.

I have one more appointment with my surgeon next week and I'll be 6 weeks post op, but a new situation has arisen. Our tenants are moving out by the end of the month and that means rehabbing and going to stores. I'm dreading that. Our cases are steady but still rising here. That's to be expected as things start opening up. Getting this property out of our lives is our next priority, then repairing our basement that flooded in May. We should be working on that just as the second wave of Covid starts in the fall, or ramps up again because we haven't gotten through the first wave yet.

With only two used and one new N95 mask? It's going to be an interesting fall and winter. I really did not want to have to go anywhere but to the grocery store a couple of times a month for at least another year. That has now become unrealistic.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:51 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,396,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauix View Post
I dont listen to the media which is lying to people in order to further some agenda....

I live the same way I always have........

IF YOU TURN OFF THE STUPID MEDIA BOX YOU WONT BE SCARED......... -- They want you scared and living like they want you living!!!!
Wow Mauix this is a really strong statement.

Why does the media want us to be scared and living like this ? Can you please state the reasons and the theories behind it ?

What agenda is being proposed HERE in the USA while not being proposed elsewhere while the virus has spread to different continents ? What sets America apart from the rest of the world in how we need to confront this virus?

I don't deny agendas but I hear and read a lot about these abnormalities yet nobody has been able to explain them to me in a logical manner........weird.

Last edited by CNYC; 07-25-2020 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2020, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 1,428 times
Well there is a huge political agenda in the US right now

To destroy the election year....... They are misleadingly ramping the #s up to keep fear and control........

If people would turn off mainstream TV they wouldnt have such power/control over people......

Old 07-25-2020, 04:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
There are things I will not do, like eat inside a restaurant. It's ridiculous that you have to wear a mask to enter and then take it off to eat. Do you think the virus just stays at your table? This is airborne, and sharing the same indoor air space it too much of a risk. Ditto for going to a movie theater.

We used Instacart and Prime Fresh for groceries before my surgery. We grocery shopped an hour and a half away out of the hot zone up until June. I would try to buy enough to fill the freezer for a month. I always wore gloves and an N95 mask, and later, a surgical mask over the N95 when I could get them in the stores. We found a clean county reporting zero Covid to shop in, but that no longer exists.

I have one more appointment with my surgeon next week and I'll be 6 weeks post op, but a new situation has arisen. Our tenants are moving out by the end of the month and that means rehabbing and going to stores. I'm dreading that. Our cases are steady but still rising here. That's to be expected as things start opening up. Getting this property out of our lives is our next priority, then repairing our basement that flooded in May. We should be working on that just as the second wave of Covid starts in the fall, or ramps up again because we haven't gotten through the first wave yet.

With only two used and one new N95 mask? It's going to be an interesting fall and winter. I really did not want to have to go anywhere but to the grocery store a couple of times a month for at least another year. That has now become unrealistic.

Yeah, going to medical appointments is scary right now, but you've got to do what you have to, especially since you're recovering from surgery. Best of luck.

This winter will be downright scary! With flu and common cold mixed in, people with just general colds will be paranoid and need to be tested just to make sure. Things won't be pretty.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:55 PM

14 posts, read 2,992 times
No I think your right........ I hope not but you might be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology