Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 12:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 647,489 times

Advertisements

I have changed the way I do some things but still living my life.
I have never been a bar person but I do miss restaurants . Still not comfortable in one so lots of takeout.
I hate shopping with a mask so less shopping trips and more online. I also never realised before covid how much touching I do when I shop. Picking things up to read labels, feel fabric, etc. I am better now at catching myself.
Vacations have been camping instead of hotels. It has been really fun and I didnt even realize how much I had missed camping.
We have been doing outside gatherings with friends and family. Im wary about the food served at those if there are to many hands touching.
Hobbies are gardening, reading, crafty things so no change.
We are grillling more, drinking more on weekends and I have gained 10 lbs.
This will suck more when the weather gets cold again but for now not so bad.
It's funny because I have always been kind of a germ phobe but compared to some people here I'm real good.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,849,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I don't have symptoms, I'd not go anywhere if I did.

However, my parents are in the "older' category, but this was their decision to do this, not mine. I think my folks see it like this - the pain of not doing this is greater than the small risk of contracting covid. If I wimped out now telling them that I couldn't "take the chance" - they'd be majorly disappointed.

My sister is a bit of a social butterfly - it's just a matter of trust that she's been keeping safe.

In the end, if the people in any social gathering trust each other, then it's okay to hang together. This applies with my next door neighbor, the in-laws, etc.
I feel exactly the same way. I take a calculated risk when it comes to socializing in these Corona'ed times. The damage to mental health from living in a 2-year self-quarantine, and not seeing friends and family, is far greater than whatever this flu bug could do, provided that the person is otherwise healthy. My like-minded friends embrace the same mindset: socializing is as much a human need as eating, sleeping, and defecating. We meet that need by meeting in safe ways, like having a picnic in the park, although the 6-foot thing kind of goes out the window.

One thing I take strong precautions with is visiting elderly family members. I limit my visits to about an hour, spend time with them strictly in their backyard, and mask up when going inside to use the bathroom. (In the Midwest, that's sustainable thru October or November.) I want to make them happy by seeing them in person and bringing them food, but I also don't want to infect their home, in case I'm asymptomatic. Outside, I trust the wind to carry away whatever I might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
I have never been a bar person but I do miss restaurants . Still not comfortable in one so lots of takeout.
Are you comfortable with patio dining? Perhaps that can be a middle ground for you. It's really no different than getting takeout and eating it as a picnic. Something I mentioned in another thread is that Corona singlehandedly created an al fresco dining culture, which the US never had before, unlike much of Europe. When the liberal governor presented outdoor dining as the only restaurant option, people universally embraced it, which is easy in Illinois summers. That's the only thing I hope continues into 2021. Sidewalk dining under the warm glow of the setting sun or the amber streetlights is truly amazing!

Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,340,450 times
I choose not to live in fear. Worrying never does anyone good. I do wear a mask where a business requires it. Social distancing is the least of my concern. IMHO, if masks are supposed to work to slow the spread, then what’s the purpose of trying to keep a safe distance?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
IMHO, if masks are supposed to work to slow the spread, then what’s the purpose of trying to keep a safe distance?
So glad you asked.

You need BOTH the mask and the distance so the Covid droplets don't get into your system.

Mask+ No Distance = NO GOOD

Mask+ Distance = EXCELLENT

Old 08-02-2020, 04:36 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,340,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
So glad you asked.

You need BOTH the mask and the distance so the Covid droplets don't get into your system.

Mask+ No Distance = NO GOOD

Mask+ Distance = EXCELLENT
I never noticed anyone’s spit traveling out of their mask when they talk, laugh, or sneeze. Besides, in most places, it’s almost impossible to socially distance. For example, in the grocery store, mall, beach, popular tourist designations, etc. I choose not to stress over it when people come near me.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:50 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,849,372 times
Quote:
I choose not to live in fear. Worrying never does anyone good. I do wear a mask where a business requires it. Social distancing is the least of my concern. IMHO, if masks are supposed to work to slow the spread, then what’s the purpose of trying to keep a safe distance?
Good point. Something else I've been wondering about.

If masks work, why the social distancing?
If social distancing works, why the masks?
If both work, why the Corona?
If neither works, why bother?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Both you and happy farm need to reassess the public school curriculum in your area. From the few examples I am seeing not working to the communities' advantage.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Wow so many responses on this thread so I'll try to respond the easy way.

2Sleepy
Your story is unfortunately all to common. Covidiots with their all about me and my fun mentality are fueling this disease. I wondering how much they read? Trying to rationalize it through religious beliefs? SMH.

Blues4evr
I totally agree with you about the protestors and spreading Covid. It makes me cringe when I see small children brought to these events. What kind of a moron puts their child in harms way like that? It's irresponsible. So was Trump holding a super spreader Covid rally during a pandemic. Bruce Dart is the executive director of the Tulsa Health Department and he told reporters that there was several large scale events in Tulsa, one of which was Trump's rally, which contributed to a surge in Covid cases. You can read about it in Tulsa World.

So we know that large gatherings are dangerous and irresponsible. Even Trump's mouthpiece Birx was on TV saying that recently, but when you have a president with total disregard for human life holding a super no mask, no social distancing ego boosting flop of a rally? Add to the mix a signed document that you won't sue if you catch Covid? I mean come on. You have to be 45 degrees below stupid to risk your health to go to a protest or a rally. Even outside with a mask on in large gatherings is not safe. To see unprotected children there makes my blood boil.

CNYC
I hear ya about the nut case shooting his gun in a lobby because people aren't social distancing. I'm glad he's taking it seriously, but that's just a tad over the top.

Thank you for the compliment, but I just read and research. We can all do that. The more you read, the more you understand. I also have a health care background and have dealt with highly infectious diseases for 25 years, and that gives me a leg up understanding what Covid is and how to deal with it. There is so much disinformation out there and a lot of it is coming from our president. It makes it twice as hard to negotiate through the muck. It also resonates with the stubborn and stupid I'm going to party no matter what because it is all about me after all crowd. You see it here all the time. They don't read and rely on emotional click bait rhetoric for information. It's dangerous as well as irresponsible and keeps us in this nightmare far longer than we should be.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:22 PM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

It's called mitigation. You and everyone else is just doing what they can. Nothing is 100%. But the big 3 have shown to greatly reduce the chances. That's all we can hope for.

Would you not get your cancer treated because you weren't assured it was 100%?

Why bother to wear your seat belt? You could crash into a tree....or lake.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:27 PM

740 posts, read 451,940 times
Quote:
I never noticed anyone’s spit traveling out of their mask when they talk, laugh, or sneeze. Besides, in most places, it’s almost impossible to socially distance. For example, in the grocery store, mall, beach, popular tourist designations, etc. I choose not to stress over it when people come near me.

It is just to maximize your safety. I've seen a crap load of people who don't wear mask properly and several of them suddenly sneeze standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME . Their germies flying every freaking where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.