Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 10:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

What do you want to eat?
I don't know.

Group -- Let's get Italian. Wanna come ?
I don't want Italian.

Group. —ok that’s too bad cause that’s where we’re going. See ya.

All this. stuff you listed giving choices....it’s trying to appease a whiner. Stop trying to appease such person. I guarantee you they will come eat Italian. And if they don’t.......you just got rid of 100-240 pounds of whine

Group -- How about Chinese?
I don't want Chinese?
Group (getting frustrated) -- Hamburger? Deli down the street? What?
None of those.
Group (really frustrated) -- fine, we'll just order pizza. What do you want on it?
I don't know.
Bold

This is no different than a little kid whining about what we’re eating for dinner. I learned fast. Hey you’re eating what’s there don’t want it...you aren’t eating. You learn fast that you’re eating what everyone eats. This idiocy of trying to appease people....if 7 of us want Italian and you want chinese...or don’t know go get chinese or sit there alone while you figure it out.

This applies to people who are late. Hey we’re leaving a 7. Then you leave at 7. The fashionably late or excessively late types....that just shows total disregard for other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 10:59 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I have never encountered such issue with anyone and I would not deal with it. My friends are all grownups and act grownup so stuff like that is not happening.

If someone says "I dont know" and then doesn't like my choice he either needs to suggest something or stay home. Period. End of discussion.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:59 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you think that some people are better at envisioning the food they want? While others don't know what they want until they actually see the food.
Well that would make eating out a bit of a chore wouldn't it? "Excuse me miss, could you please bring out everything on the menu so I can look at the food before I order?"

I have 2 friends who both do this annoying thing...

Me: "Where do you want to go for dinner?"

Friend: "Oh, I don't care whatever you want"

Me: "Okay, let's do pizza"

Friend: "No I had pizza yesterday"

Me: "How about the deli?"

Friend: "Sandwiches? Think of something else"

Me: "Tacos?"

Friend: "Nooo..."

Me: "Well you pick then!"

Friend: "I don't care let's go wherever you want."

Me: "Well I "wanted" 3 things and you said no to all of them"

Friend: "Well, whatever you want"

Me: "Okay, we're going to the fish place"

Friend: "eeeeewwww! Fish?"

At this point, I usually pull out a gun and shoot myself in the head.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:15 PM

484 posts, read 198,099 times
I usually suggest the person that initiated the lunch date, pick the time and place. Then the next time I will suggest a place and add, unless you had something else in mind. For the most part it works really well. My husband hates making decisions on what and where to eat. It used to bother me, I felt guilty for always making the choice. I finally got over it and decided at least one of us should be happy, so I pick, unless he wants to, then I let him.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well that would make eating out a bit of a chore wouldn't it? "Excuse me miss, could you please bring out everything on the menu so I can look at the food before I order?"

I have 2 friends who both do this annoying thing...

Me: "Where do you want to go for dinner?"

Friend: "Oh, I don't care whatever you want"

Me: "Okay, let's do pizza"

Friend: "No I had pizza yesterday"

Me: "How about the deli?"

Friend: "Sandwiches? Think of something else"

Me: "Tacos?"

Friend: "Nooo..."

Me: "Well you pick then!"

Friend: "I don't care let's go wherever you want."

Me: "Well I "wanted" 3 things and you said no to all of them"

Friend: "Well, whatever you want"

Me: "Okay, we're going to the fish place"

Friend: "eeeeewwww! Fish?"

At this point, I usually pull out a gun and shoot myself in the head.
it takes two to tango - why do you play that game over and over?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Passive Aggressive? They won't tell you what they want but no matter what, you make the wrong choice.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What is it with people who won't answer a simple question? Another thread got me thinking on this. We're not talking about deep, earth shattering things, but simple things like routine work questions or even things like "what do you want for lunch?"

Most of use have experienced it. Something as simple as a group lunch becomes a chore because one or more people refuse to say what they want, but then complain about whatever the rest of the group picks. The conversation goes something like this:

What do you want to eat?
I don't know.
Group -- Let's get Italian.
I don't want Italian.
Group -- How about Chinese?
I don't want Chinese?
Group (getting frustrated) -- Hamburger? Deli down the street? What?
None of those.
Group (really frustrated) -- fine, we'll just order pizza. What do you want on it?
I don't know.
I thought majority of married men had to go thorough this

Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
My experience has been more like, someone asks me to pick a place, and I do, and they shoot the idea down. WHY ask my choice, and then deny my choice? If someone were to say "You pick. Anything but Chinese" I could do that easily...but say that up front, instead of asking me, and then denying me. That annoys me quite a bit. LOL

Old 07-24-2020, 03:08 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Thus, the reason I eat lunch by myself anywhere I want.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:12 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
After reading all this I guess the answer to the OP is:

The question WASN'T "simple", was it? Also agree its not the question, its the decision.

I didn't always get sucked into the "what's for lunch game", but I finally realized part of the problem was me...I couldn't answer the question either! I was the one being indecisive and hoping someone else would take over that little task for me. The fix for that was to decide what I wanted and invite the other person to join me if they wish. Worked like a charm.

As for not answering a question in an email or conversation, it could simply be that the other person got preoccupied/focused on another topic. It seemed to be more important at the time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-24-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology