Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 4,066 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this occurs many societies around the world, however; since I live in the United States I'm going to ask this in reference to what I see here in the U.S.A.

In our current culture here in the United States I often hear people complaining about various topics in their lives particularly in the area of politics. When you ask these people what their plan is for a better alternative or course of action to replace or improve the current state of affairs they are unhappy with, the complaining individual or individuals often does not have a plan or course of action. It is as if this person or group is simply complaining just to complain, but doing so w/o a reasonable solution.

This same type of person or even group will also fail to "step up to the plate" when offered the chance to take a position of responsibility that would allow them to take action that would help correct the issues they are often complaining they are unhappy with.

I realize I may not be communicating my thoughts and questions here in the best manner, however; I feel you all are sharp enough to figure out the type of behavior I am speaking about here.

When you have time could you please give me the psychological terminology and explanation for this type of behavior in individual or groups of people?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
You are right...there IS a term for this. I read it somewhere, not too long ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it is. LOL

However, it had to do with individuals who behave this way consider themselves semi experts on politics, and they're political junkies. It's their hobby, so to speak.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Non-voters?

Old 07-24-2020, 09:04 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave702 View Post
I'm sure this occurs many societies around the world, however; since I live in the United States I'm going to ask this in reference to what I see here in the U.S.A.

In our current culture here in the United States I often hear people complaining about various topics in their lives particularly in the area of politics. When you ask these people what their plan is for a better alternative or course of action to replace or improve the current state of affairs they are unhappy with, the complaining individual or individuals often does not have a plan or course of action. It is as if this person or group is simply complaining just to complain, but doing so w/o a reasonable solution.

This same type of person or even group will also fail to "step up to the plate" when offered the chance to take a position of responsibility that would allow them to take action that would help correct the issues they are often complaining they are unhappy with.

I realize I may not be communicating my thoughts and questions here in the best manner, however; I feel you all are sharp enough to figure out the type of behavior I am speaking about here.

When you have time could you please give me the psychological terminology and explanation for this type of behavior in individual or groups of people?

Thank you
So...unless I become a politician and can DIRECTLY take action I'm not allowed to complain? Certainly I'll vote, but I'll complain as much as I want.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 AM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
I don't know if there's an official term, I sometimes call it intellectually inert.

Although to be honest, politics is a really complicated idea, because if it basically involves the whole planet.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It just sounds like chronic complainers to me.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:49 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
I'm not sure there's a clinical term that applies. In everyday terms complaining and not offering a solution or not being willing to participate in someone else's solution sounds like whining. Not taking the time to consider solutions sounds like intellectual laziness.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Oh...I think I misunderstood what was being asked. I have lots of friends who love talking about politics, and are pretty knowledgeable on the topic. Actually, my oldest son worked for years in the political world, and always has lot of insight in to who is who, and why something happens the way it happens, etc.

But to complain just to complain...if it wasn't politics, it'd be something else.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:09 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Well, I would be pleased to just hear hypothetical solutions, but I can't even get those from the chronic complainers.

I do complain, but I have theoretical ideas on solving stuff, even if none of it could ever happen due to entrenched politics.

But I think it's helpful and constructive to at least toss around ideas...."how could that hypothetically be put into practice?"

I think there is a term for this, but I don't know it either.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:02 PM

12 posts, read 4,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Oh...I think I misunderstood what was being asked. I have lots of friends who love talking about politics, and are pretty knowledgeable on the topic. Actually, my oldest son worked for years in the political world, and always has lot of insight in to who is who, and why something happens the way it happens, etc.

But to complain just to complain...if it wasn't politics, it'd be something else.
You are correct in that, however; politics in my experience seems to be one if not the most prevalent topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology