Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Also, OP, you are playing a passive victim.

Create the life you would love and stop waiting for things to please you.
LOL really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 08:22 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I suppose it would never occur to you that there are people who are very content, very comfortable and even happy who ask themselves, like myself, quite often: Isn't it time to leave?

I envy those that die instantly, like in a fatal car accident where the report says: they died instantly! Not one more minute to torture yourself about what the afterlife may be like.
Nope, guess I can't fathom it. I was raised to always have a positive outlook on life. Life is short & we only get 1 life, so we better make the best of it. When things don't work out, there's always other ways. I believe in God too & I pray for His blessings & strength. I personally want to live for a LONG, LONG time.

I'm not going to be moping in some corner, afraid to live or hate living. Now for those who feel this way due to some mental illness, depression, etc. that they can't help, then I feel for them. I don't know anything about that kind of thing, so I can't comment on that aspect.

Now regarding having some long, drawn-out painful months or years before actually dying, I don't know anyone who wants that.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroauc View Post
I'm 29 and I don't particulary enjoy living. However, I have absolutely no intention of taking my own life. It takes someone very brave to do that and I certainly don't fall into that group.

I live a relatively normal life but I do wish life would go by faster. I do not find life a blessing or enjoyable most of the time. It's a huge succession of troubles, failures, disappointments, plans gone wrong, missed goals...

We hear stories about people dying in the most random accidents everyday and sometimes I think "why couldn't it be me?". You, just getting hit by a truck while crossing the street on the way to the grocery store. My family could be sad for a while but everyone would accept it was an accident that can happen to anybody.
You need to make a change. The present plan is not working. Change everything, your job, expand your social circle, take up new hobbies, travel, and give of yourself, and your time. What you don't think is possible will become possible, and after that your attitude about life will change.

Life only gives back what you put forth.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:20 AM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
I'm 29 and I don't particulary enjoy living. However, I have absolutely no intention of taking my own life. It takes someone very brave to do that and I certainly don't fall into that group.

I live a relatively normal life but I do wish life would go by faster. I do not find life a blessing or enjoyable most of the time. It's a huge succession of troubles, failures, disappointments, plans gone wrong, missed goals...

We hear stories about people dying in the most random accidents everyday and sometimes I think "why couldn't it be me?". You, just getting hit by a truck while crossing the street on the way to the grocery store. My family could be sad for a while but everyone would accept it was an accident that can happen to anybody.
It's kinda sad, what you are saying.
For me what is brave is to live despite the pain. Despite the sadness. Working your way through it all. Sometimes crying and other times smiling. Baby steps till you're out of the darkness.

Family and friends don't simply forget a person who has died. They may not remember the person every day because that person isn't in their everyday life physically, but even if you touched them once in their hearts, you're there.

Who is the person dearest to you? Imagine if they died from an accident today. Would you just raise your shoulders? No.
I think you could start appreciating the people close to you more. And let them in a bit more too. Maybe they can help you remember what it's like to cry from laughing too hard. You don't have anything to lose anyway.

Good luck ^^

Old 08-04-2020, 12:49 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
On the edge of another hot summer in Tucson, I ask myself: Do I want to go thru the effort of going through another summer on this dying Planet? And then winter rolls around, and: Do I want to go thru the effort of going thru another winter on this dying Planet?

Just before one of these hot summer or cold winters (yes, Tucson can get cold in winter) I may just say Adios!

Currently, what keeps me going is the 60 plants in my yard, which would miss me, and my ferret and my roommate of 21 years.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been evaluated by physician, counselor, or psychologist for depression? What you are describing sounds a lot like that to me. Often those who are depressed fail to see how the treatment could help them. With many the effect of such treatment is profoundly positive.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:

"Bad" is a subjective thing. What you think of as bad, someone else might not.

Dying by accident could be very painful. Then there's the problem that you wouldn't die, but be left disabled or disfigured. I can't imagine anyone wanting to die by some random accident.

I've never heard of anyone wanting to die because they don't "particularly enjoy living." Usually it's because of something more definite than that. Surely you can find some enjoyment....ice cream? A beautiful garden? State or national parks? Good movies? Pizza? A ripe apple? A brisk walk on a nice day? Your job? Electronic devices? Maybe you need some purpose to your life?

Old 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Hope OP returns soon to answer our questions & comment more.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:17 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
"Bad" is a subjective thing. What you think of as bad, someone else might not.

Dying by accident could be very painful. Then there's the problem that you wouldn't die, but be left disabled or disfigured. I can't imagine anyone wanting to die by some random accident.

I've never heard of anyone wanting to die because they don't "particularly enjoy living." Usually it's because of something more definite than that. Surely you can find some enjoyment....ice cream? A beautiful garden? State or national parks? Good movies? Pizza? A ripe apple? A brisk walk on a nice day? Your job? Electronic devices? Maybe you need some purpose to your life?
Just as you've never heard of anyone wanting to die because they 'don't particularly enjoy living', I've never heard of anyone wanting to live because of a ripe apple. Well, except maybe the figures of the Christian creation myth.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:16 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Quote:

I feel the same way especially with the covid-19 stuff going on. My life is lonely. And yes, I've tried putting myself out there. It just hasn't worked well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology