Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Laugh Out Loud
I laugh freely and easily daily 47 54.65%
I laugh a few times a week 18 20.93%
I laugh a few times a month 10 11.63%
I laugh a few times a year 5 5.81%
I rarely, if ever, laugh 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:18 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

I laugh out loud a lot, and find humor in a lot of things....and enjoy people who make me laugh....there was this gal at work, she had such a beautiful, loud contagious laugh that made me laugh every time I heard her...she was a riot....

People at work used to tell me I was always smiling, never realized it, I fell asleep once after eating Turkey at my parent's home and my step dad told me I smile when I sleep.

I do so love to laugh and enjoy people who have the same sense of humor.....sometimes I get those giggles, something strikes me funny, and I cannot stop laughing and people look at me....lol

my now ex, at one time, started his own business....he had sent a quote to a company in NYC and they called him to come in and give his selling points to the board of directors....now this is embarrassing....

So, there were approximately 8 suits sitting around the table, and when we walked in, they all greeted us and shook hands....we sat down and in walks this little man who spoke broken English...of Mexican decent....

As he went around the table passing out their specks on paper, to each of us, he said, "one for ju" then he....stepped to the next person and said again, "one fo ju"... and kept doing this all around the table while putting the specks in front of each of us....

Well, unfortunately something inside of me triggered and I got the worst case of laughs and couldn't stop....and I kept apologizing but could not stop and it was the laugh out loud belly laughs, while getting I these terrible offensive looks from everyone sitting around the table, which only made me laugh more....Good God, and my ex kicked me under the table which of course made me laugh even louder.

Needless to say, he never got the job....and all the way home, I heard, "I'm never taking you along again"....and of course I laughed again and again....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-19-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
An old saying popped into my mind that hits home: "Sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from crying."
you betcha....

Old 08-19-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK y'all made me do it. (I really enjoy reading the responses to this question, by the way!)

Here are the two most memorable "laughs" to me:

In the first one, my mom and my first baby (who was about a year old) and I found ourselves in the midst of a tornado warning - and an imminent tornado seemed to be bearing down on us. I mean, it was intense, so we ran down to the root cellar and donned football helmets that my mom bought at a garage sale, and pushed the baby under a table down there, and grabbed hold of each other. Outside the wind was howling and we could hear SOMETHING hitting the sides of the house! It was the classic sound of "a freight train" and our eyes were as big as saucers. Suddenly, my mom and I looked at each other - both of us standing over the small table with our arms linked and those stupid football helmets on - and we just burst into gales of laughter! (In a few minutes, it all calmed down outside and we ventured out and only a few limbs were down in the yard.) Anyway, I don't know why that struck us as SO funny but it just did.

Another, much more inopportune time, was at my grandfather's funeral. Listen, my dad's dad was not a great guy. He was a flat out heathen, and the pastor didn't even know him (no surprise there) but my grandfather wanted to be buried in the same cemetery as his two parents, in a little country church yard, so there you have it. So our family was sitting on the first row, and I was sitting there listening to this country pastor try to act like he knew my grandfather, and suddenly I realized that the pastor had this really odd voice inflection - and that he would go "up" at the end of sentences in some sort of singsong way. Well, naturally, this struck me as funny, though I was able to control myself - but I told myself, "Don't look over at your son, don't look over at your son." See, my teenage son, who was sitting right next to me, has the same perverse sense of humor that I have, and I knew it would be potentially disastrous to catch his eye. So of course, that's what I was compelled to do after a few minutes.

And when I did, he cut his eyes back at me and it was GAME OVER. Both of us started laughing - but of course we were on the FRONT ROW of a funeral, so we had to laugh as silently as possible. And every single time that pastor would use that voice inflection, we'd start to shake with suppressed laughter! Shoulder to shoulder of course, so that made things worse. And of course, the pastor would not just SHUT UP.

It got so bad, that I started silently reciting the Lord's Prayer to try to make myself quit laughing, which of course was not effective.

But the coup de grace was when suddenly, my cousin, who was sitting at the end of the row, thought we we CRYING, and she passed down a box of tissues. OMG. It was all I could do not to begin to literally howl with laughter!

(Side note - it was hotter than a pistol in there, so the tissue actually did come in handy - to pat down our faces.)

Speaking of howling, finally I managed to get myself under control, just as the pastor told the family to solemnly walk past the casket for a final look. Then we were supposed to exit left, into a little room where presumably the immediate family would gather before walking over together to the graveyard. I'm sure we were supposed to be grief stricken as well, having just said our final farewells to the deceased.

Did I mention that my mother was not particularly affectionate or empathetic? Well, that's the case. So I managed to walk past the casket and into this little room, and as soon as I walked in, my mother held open her arms to me and said, "Oh, my poor baby."

OMG. That's when I lost it! And I don't mean I started crying. I had to kick the door shut so other funeral attendees didn't hear my howls of laughter!

That's me - socially inappropriate, all the way live.

The good news is - I really think my grandfather probably approved - and got a big kick out of the whole thing.

this made me laugh, thank you for sharing.....lol

Old 08-19-2020, 12:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
this made me laugh, thank you for sharing.....lol
Haha, you're welcome!

Old 08-19-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All the time.
I mean, ALL the time! I make my wife laugh, too.

Does this make you laugh?
lol, awesome.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I laugh out loud a lot, and find humor in a lot of things....and enjoy people who make me laugh....there was this gal at work, she had such a beautiful, loud contagious laugh that made me laugh every time I heard her...she was a riot....

People at work used to tell me I was always smiling, never realized it, I fell asleep once after eating Turkey at my parent's home and my step dad told me I smile when I sleep.

I do so love to laugh and enjoy people who have the same sense of humor.....sometimes I get those giggles, something strikes me funny, and I cannot stop laughing and people look at me....lol

my now ex, at one time, started his own business....he had sent a quote to a company in NYC and they called him to come in and give his selling points to the board of directors....now this is embarrassing....

So, there were approximately 8 suits sitting around the table, and when we walked in, they all greeted us and shook hands....we sat down and in walks this little man who spoke broken English...of Mexican decent....

As he went around the table passing out their specks on paper, to each of us, he said, "one for ju" then he....stepped to the next person and said again, "one fo ju"... and kept doing this all around the table while putting the specks in front of each of us....

Well, unfortunately something inside of me triggered and I got the worst case of laughs and couldn't stop....and I kept apologizing but could not stop and it was the laugh out loud belly laughs, while getting I these terrible offensive looks from everyone sitting around the table, which only made me laugh more....Good God, and my ex kicked me under the table which of course made me laugh even louder.

Needless to say, he never got the job....and all the way home, I heard, "I'm never taking you along again"....and of course I laughed again and again....
yes that is funny, interview stories crack me up.
it's like i tell my kids, same with dates, even if it's a bad date, it makes a really funny story

my soon-to-be-ex considered himself hilarious, and laughed loudly at his own jokes, which he made frequently, regardless of whether anyone else around him even responded at all to his "jokes." He stated (again, often) "I laugh at my own jokes even if no one else does" which was often the case.

anyway he went for a hot shot job interview, they flew him to the East Coast to meet with a team of 6 including executive leadership of an international firm. A very big deal. I did not go with him, but was mentally cringing wondering in what ways he would create "situations" during the interview.

He related at one point when they were touring the research lab and talking about various contracts and projects, one of the vice presidents mentioned with some concern a recent project that they paid $1.8 million dollars for, and the prototype created did not work at all, it was completely non-functional. So they had high expectations for whomever filled the position to see that did not happen again. To which he replied laughing uproariously, "Heck, I can guarantee to make you a non-working prototype for much less cost than that, I can easily bring it in at $1.2 million."

He did not get the job offer.
Now I still laugh at that story, because he was so clueless as to why that was not something you say in a job interview.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:43 PM

on the other hand, one of his totally bizarre comments at an inappropriate time and place turned out to be well received and became a family classic.

My dad was hospitalized for colon cancer and had surgery and everyone was walking on eggshells because to put it mildly he was "not a good patient" as they sometimes say in the hospital world. Very cantankerous even in full health, worse when he was sick or ill with anything. So he gets out of surgery and people are visiting him at the hospital and in walks my not-yet-ex who says loudly, "So they took out part of your colon?" (no sweet pleasantries for him like "good to see you" or "great that you will be going home soon"). No, he says with his trademark laugh at his own jokes, "I guess that means now you have a semi-colon."

my dad decided that was the funniest thing in the world and for years, for DECADES he told that story everywhere.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:11 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes that is funny, interview stories crack me up.
it's like i tell my kids, same with dates, even if it's a bad date, it makes a really funny story

my soon-to-be-ex considered himself hilarious, and laughed loudly at his own jokes, which he made frequently, regardless of whether anyone else around him even responded at all to his "jokes." He stated (again, often) "I laugh at my own jokes even if no one else does" which was often the case.

anyway he went for a hot shot job interview, they flew him to the East Coast to meet with a team of 6 including executive leadership of an international firm. A very big deal. I did not go with him, but was mentally cringing wondering in what ways he would create "situations" during the interview.

He related at one point when they were touring the research lab and talking about various contracts and projects, one of the vice presidents mentioned with some concern a recent project that they paid $1.8 million dollars for, and the prototype created did not work at all, it was completely non-functional. So they had high expectations for whomever filled the position to see that did not happen again. To which he replied laughing uproariously, "Heck, I can guarantee to make you a non-working prototype for much less cost than that, I can easily bring it in at $1.2 million."

He did not get the job offer.
Now I still laugh at that story, because he was so clueless as to why that was not something you say in a job interview.
I actually had an interview about 5 years ago when one of the panel members asked me to tell them the last funny joke/story I heard as part of his closing questions. It was weird and it put me on the spot as I started to sweat in anxiety. I didn't get the job but got a job offer for another position a week after that.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I actually had an interview about 5 years ago when one of the panel members asked me to tell them the last funny joke/story I heard as part of his closing questions. It was weird and it put me on the spot as I started to sweat in anxiety. I didn't get the job but got a job offer for another position a week after that.
those panel interviews do have some strange questions at times.

at one of the panel interviews (in a series of four interviews that day) it was winding down and one of the final questions they asked me was, "For pot lucks at work, what type of food can we look for you to bring?"

i thought it was kind of a throw away question because it just sounded so silly. I answered it very seriously though, as i would any other question with a couple different scenarios, to address and appease both the "home cooked" crowd and the "store bought" items, including back-up plan in the event of unexpected obstacles or barriers.

turns out it was a VERY serious question. I got hired and they were VERY serious about the food at their potlucks I found it. They literally considered it a factor to consider in hiring. So I'm glad I didn't give a flip answer. A couple people after I was hired even talked with me seriously about my answer and parts of it that impressed them and that it worked in my favor. I kid you not. A less than stellar candidate at that place was hired based on her chocolate creations described during interview.

And no this was not a food-related industry. It was an education department with national and international online learning. They considered food and potlucks a valid "quality of work life" area and "important for morale, employee satisfaction, and retention."

Old 08-19-2020, 03:10 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Laughter is medicine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology