Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 07:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Well how about John Doe? Bubba?
Do you know anyone who is really named either John Doe or Bubba? Because I sure don't. I do know some people named Karen though, as well as Sheniqua and Julio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh well. Thanks for the explanation.

I agree with KayeKaye though - now many legitimate complaints can be simply brushmed aside as "Karenesque" and more women can be ignored with impunity, or worse, made fun of. I don't care for it personally, and I find it borderline racist and sexist in general.
“Karens” are people who become unhinged about things most of us would leave alone. If others think that any woman who makes a complaint is a “Karen” then IMO, they need to be disabused of this notion. I do think unhinged, raving women do not do the rest of us women any favors. But reasonable people should be able to tell the difference. Others who claim not to, are probably looking for excuses.

Certainly claims about sexual harassment should never be brushed aside.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
“Karens” are people who become unhinged about things most of us would leave alone. If others think that any woman who makes a complaint is a “Karen” then IMO, they need to be disabused of this notion. I do think unhinged, raving women do not do the rest of us women any favors. But reasonable people should be able to tell the difference. Others who claim not to, are probably looking for excuses.

Certainly claims about sexual harassment should never be brushed aside.
I agree that people (male or female, of any creed or skin tone) who become unhinged about things most of us would leave alone do not do anyone any favors, but I still find it racist to single out a group of people of a certain age, gender, and race and label them, when there are clearly misbehaving people of EVERY age, race, gender, etc. out there and we're not calling others Sheniquas or Julios - because you know, that would be racist.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:55 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
HE was the one who started the entire incident by being petty. That makes him the 'Karen' here.

But it's not petty to have your dog on a leash. It's a safety issue, for one thing. How does he know if the dog is friendly or not?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I agree that people (male or female, of any creed or skin tone) who become unhinged about things most of us would leave alone do not do anyone any favors, but I still find it racist to single out a group of people of a certain age, gender, and race and label them, when there are clearly misbehaving people of EVERY age, race, gender, etc. out there and we're not calling others Sheniquas or Julios - because you know, that would be racist.

Felicias.

It wasn't that long ago that the buzz word was "OK Felicia".

Old 08-26-2020, 08:07 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Every time I see an article or thread about this topic my heart just sinks for women named Karen. I know a lot of them, and not one of them deserves to have her name associated with this type of behavior.
I know a lot of people named Karen, too, none of whom fit this description. Popular name in the late Fifties, apparently, even more than my own.

I don't know if anyone here remembers the old "Where's Herb?" Burger King commercials. My Uncle Herb hated them.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
HE was the one who started the entire incident by being petty. That makes him the 'Karen' here.
I disagree. If everybody is allowed to just disregard the rules about dogs in Central Park, it would ruin the place. It's not petty. It's a beautiful place, and it should be kept that way. She thought she was some kind of princess and the rules didn't mean HER.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Do you know anyone who is really named either John Doe or Bubba? Because I sure don't. I do know some people named Karen though, as well as Sheniqua and Julio.

My cousin is Bubba. It's not his birth name, but he's been Bubba since he was a baby. Kind of stood for "Baby Brother". But EVERYONE calls him Bubba.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Felicias.

It wasn't that long ago that the buzz word was "OK Felicia".
I never heard that one! Have a good friend named Felicia.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never heard that one! Have a good friend named Felicia.
OOPS, I was wrong. The saying is "Bye Felicia". And it comes from the movie "Friday".

Basically, it's a dismissive "Get out of my face and go away" phrase. "Bye Felicia".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology