Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 03:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm past middle age and into Crones of Anarchy mode (that's actually a FB group, lol).

But listen. Back in my 50s, a cop friend told me, "Women your age are invisible. You could drive down the street with a joint in one hand and a can of beer in the other, and our eyes will glaze right over you."

I found out that this is true. Yes, it was disconcerting to realize at first, but you know what? USE IT. Use your invisibility to your advantage. No, I'm not going to test the exact situation the cop gave me, but I have found I can sit somewhere and eavesdrop and nobody notices me. Things like that. It's kind of cool to be invisible.

I will second this.

I feel like I can step out on my front porch without a bra on, or makeup on, with impunity. And lately, working from home and all, I even go out in public (to the grocery store) without make up on. (GASP!)After all, who really cares and who am I trying to impress? No one at the grocery store. That's for sure. (I DO wear a bra to the grocery store though. LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 03:32 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I think I got invited to the Crones of Anarchy. Although I haven't found out if I was accepted or not. I'll have to look them up.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:34 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I will second this.

I feel like I can step out on my front porch without a bra on, or makeup on, with impunity. And lately, working from home and all, I even go out in public (to the grocery store) without make up on. (GASP!)After all, who really cares and who am I trying to impress? No one at the grocery store. That's for sure. (I DO wear a bra to the grocery store though. LOL)
Okay, that made me giggle. I put on a bra for the first time in months — seriously, months — and my nineteen-year-old son exclaimed aloud when I came downstairs, “OMG, mom, you’re actually dressed!” Make-up? What’s that? I mostly live in pajamas. Haven’t put on a pair of jeans since February.

Back on topic, though, do you think that invisibility is part of what makes women blow their top in public? Maybe we just want to be heard again! The whole “karen” thing is like hearing “Okay, Boomer.” It leaves me wanting to slug someone. Hmmm. Maybe I should take up kickboxing. That might scratch the itch to beat up snotty and dismissive 20-somethings.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-26-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-26-2020, 09:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I didn't know this. Liberals seem to be pretty much all pro-mask and a lot of the Karen videos are of women who won't wear a mask. Can you point me to a citation?
You didn't know it because it isn't true. Liberal women are far more likely to wear a mask than right-wing women, in general. And the same goes for men.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree that people (male or female, of any creed or skin tone) who become unhinged about things most of us would leave alone do not do anyone any favors, but I still find it racist to single out a group of people of a certain age, gender, and race and label them, when there are clearly misbehaving people of EVERY age, race, gender, etc. out there and we're not calling others Sheniquas or Julios - because you know, that would be racist.
Irate “Karen” posts started by exposing white women who were harassing blacks. So, you know, that is the point of them. I think later, “Karens” and “Ken” posts started showing up exposing entitled people of both sexes. The idea is that some white people do feel threatened or entitled.

I don’t think it hurst me as a white woman to see the ugly face of racism exposed.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:39 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You didn't know it because it isn't true. Liberal women are far more likely to wear a mask than right-wing women, in general. And the same goes for men.
So now we are moving from raging white women to Conservative non mask wearing right-wing white women? Yeah I just want to keep up here with the labeling and canceling...

Old 08-26-2020, 10:41 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
I haven’t read the whole thread but it isn’t lost on me that the second lady, is named Karen. Karen Pence.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Irate “Karen” posts started by exposing white women who were harassing blacks. So, you know, that is the point of them. I think later, “Karens” and “Ken” posts started showing up exposing entitled people of both sexes. The idea is that some white people do feel threatened or entitled.

I don’t think it hurst me as a white woman to see the ugly face of racism exposed.
Would you be as comfortable using the term “Karen” to describe entitled and racist behavior if your name was Karen? It strikes me as a way for the actual perpetrators of that kind of behavior to escape accountability. Why dismiss them as Karens rather than call them out by their own names?

Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Lol, the term "Karen" goes back a number of years, it was a "can I speak to your manager" meme even, complete with the haircut.

It did not start as you said, maybe that is when you heard it, but the term goes back a ways, and has nothing to do with race except in your head.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:18 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
No, I disagree. The term Karen is now moving beyond women who become unhinged to anyone who simply speaks up. You don’t believe it? Try speaking up in public next time and see how it goes.
Or posting on FB or even here. If you post something that doesn't agree with someone's viewpoint, they post a dismissive "Ok Karen". Moreso on Facebook, they like to use the "Ok Boomer" comment if you don't agree with something posted. It's the new FAKE NEWS!!! Basically it's a way for them to dismiss opinions that don't agree with their opinion.

As for the use of the name, most Karens I know are not offended by the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology