Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 11:51 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yes, perhaps so. I can see how 50's might be a transitional time. But I've seen videos of 'Karens' who seem somewhat younger...like one I saw, a woman was having a fit over some Black kids swimming in the neighborhood pool. Never mind, the kids belonged to the neighborhood. That woman seemed to me, to be in her late 30's +/- a couple of years. And the lady who called the cops on the Black guy who asked her to put her dog on a leash, she seemed far younger than 50's to me.

But heck, I'm no expert on the subject. I DO think some of these people who act this way, DO have some racial bias. The lady and the dog...fear of the big scary black man. The lady who had a fit over a black family taking baby pictures on a pretty sidewalk, the lady who had a fit because black kids were swimming in the neighborhood pool...but then there are those who just like to push their supposed authority around. "I'd like to speak to the manager" types.
Please don’t misunderstand me. I am in no way condoning racism. All I’m trying to point out is that women of a certain age have a lot of their plates, and it can be completely overwhelming. Sometimes the pressure just builds up, and we lose it. I had a “karen” moment a couple of years ago when I blew my lid over something fairly minor involving my kid. I took it out on people who did not deserve it, and looking back I feel a great deal of shame over my behavior.

When I see women acting crazy now, I find myself thinking back on that day. I don’t think I’m a terrible person, but if someone knew me only through watching me throw that embarrassing adult temper tantrum, I’d understand why they might think I was. I’m just glad nobody had a cell phone pointing my direction because I’m sure the recording would have ended up online. What was going on with me? I have no idea. I just know that I was on a runaway train emotionally. It was definitely not one of my proudest moments.

I’m almost grateful for the social isolation of the pandemic. It’s keeping me out of trouble. My family, though, is taking it on the chin.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-27-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 12:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I’m a white woman in my 40’s ( I consider myself middle aged). My apartment overlooks a small public park and the lake. Last night at dusk, someone shot a gun off, five successive shots loud and clear gunfire. This is less than 50 yards from my apartment.
I called the police. Does this make me a “Karen”?
Well, according to some people it does. I don't think so, though. But I don't like the idea that someone can "never" get police involved, or else they're being a Karen or racist.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Please don’t misunderstand me. I am in no way condoning racism. All I’m trying to point out is that women of a certain age have a lot of their plates, and it can be completely overwhelming. Sometimes the pressure just builds up, and we lose it. I had a “karen” moment a couple of years ago when I blew my lid over something fairly minor involving my kid. I took it out on people who did not deserve it, and looking back I feel a great deal of shame over my behavior.

When I see women acting crazy now, I find myself thinking back on that day. I don’t think I’m a terrible person, but if someone knew me only through watching me throw that embarrassing adult temper tantrum, I’d understand why they might think I was. I’m just glad nobody had a cell phone pointing my direction because I’m sure the recording would have ended up online. What was going on with me? I have no idea. I just know that I was on a runaway train emotionally. It was definitely not one of my proudest moments.

I’m almost grateful for the social isolation of the pandemic. It’s keeping me out of trouble. My family, though, is taking it on the chin.

Hey, I caught some kids making fun of my son, and I told one of the boys that he shouldn't make fun of others seeing as his face was a walking volcano. I get it, we can ALL (men and women) have our moments where we're glad no one pointed a camera at us.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lol, the term "Karen" goes back a number of years, it was a "can I speak to your manager" meme even, complete with the haircut.

It did not start as you said, maybe that is when you heard it, but the term goes back a ways, and has nothing to do with race except in your head.
Yes, I saw posts that characterized irate white women as “Karens.” No need to be insulting. I did not invent the term. The posts I have seen have been about race, absolutely.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I’ve had my moments. But with phones that can record someone having a meltdown over a perceived minor offense, you would think these people who lose their minds would be able to control themselves. In my earliest posts, I also mentioned women who have lost their minds over masking up. My initial query was not solely about race. It was about grown women who lose their minds over small infringements on their entitlement. At least that is how I view their outbursts.

I hope this discussion continues, and that it generates more light than heat. I’ve gotten out if it what I need to.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:15 PM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If someone set up a lawn chair in your front yard and sat there all day, drinking beer and reading their cell phone, and you asked them to leave, and they didn't; then you called the cops on them. Would that make you a Karen?

I'm just curious.

Because I've had to ask people to get off my front yard before. I didn't know who they were and didn't want them on my private property. One time there was a woman smoking a cigarette on my front lawn, and flicking the ashes into my garden. I asked her to leave. I guess that makes me a Karen. But its' my house and my yard.
You are very nice. I would have just fired up the garden hose.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 PM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Someone just randomly set up camp in your front yard? People are weird. On a business trip maybe ten years ago, a woman sat down next to my husband while he was eating lunch on a restaurant patio. She grabbed food off his plate and then picked up his drink and took a sip while rambling incoherently at him. He still laughs about it today. Maybe a year ago, I was sitting on the patio of a coffee shop enjoying a drink and a danish when a man walked by with a dog. The dog lunged at the table and inhaled my danish while the dog owner looked on. He did not say a thing. Just kept walking. It was totally bizarre, but I don’t consider that “karen” behavior. I just think some people are not all there.
I am sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing. That is truly bizarre. Sorry about the danish, but at least you were left with a story to tell.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:21 PM

Right? He just pulled his dog to heel and kept walking. Not a word of apology. It was the strangest thing!

Old 08-27-2020, 01:25 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Alright, I didn’t read all 18 pages – but (for me) it’s not the extreme examples given here that are the norm…although they are newsworthy. A more typical example is this:

“Karen” comes into a busy upscale restaurant. She plows right past the hostess….and says to her friends, “This table looks good…” and sits down.
The hostess says, I’m sorry, ma’am, but did you have a reservation?
Karen: “No, but my husband’s attorney is friends with the owner’s wife, so I’m sure he won’t mind. Can you get me a gin and tonic?”
THAT is entitlement – and it is unrelated to “having a bad day” or age or race.

Countless more examples along those lines, unrelated to the emotions of COVID. As others have mentioned – it’s the age-old psychology of the “entitled” – no one ever tells them no, so why would they change?

Old 08-27-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Alright, I didn’t read all 18 pages – but (for me) it’s not the extreme examples given here that are the norm…although they are newsworthy. A more typical example is this:

“Karen” comes into a busy upscale restaurant. She plows right past the hostess….and says to her friends, “This table looks good…” and sits down.
The hostess says, I’m sorry, ma’am, but did you have a reservation?
Karen: “No, but my husband’s attorney is friends with the owner’s wife, so I’m sure he won’t mind. Can you get me a gin and tonic?”
THAT is entitlement – and it is unrelated to “having a bad day” or age or race.

Countless more examples along those lines, unrelated to the emotions of COVID. As others have mentioned – it’s the age-old psychology of the “entitled” – no one ever tells them no, so why would they change?
It’s weird that anyone would associate the kind of behavior outlined above with the name Karen, as it’s very much a working class name. Karen is usually a waitress or a kindergarten teacher or a shop girl not a socialite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology