Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I find it easier to keep my temper even if things are frustrating if I remind myself that low-level employees aren't responsible for corporate protocols, and that in the majority of cases they didn't cause the problem I'm bringing to them, and they may not have the authority to solve it to my satisfaction. It helps that I worked customer service myself for a while.

I've found that if I start off with something like "This problem isn't your fault, but I'm hoping you can help me solve it" I often get faster, better results, and makes it clear that if I'm a little aggravated it's not directed at them. When asking for a manager I also make it clear it's not to get them in trouble - "I know you have to follow the rules, and other people are waiting - may I speak to a manager?"

Service work is a thankless job, no reason to add more aggro to a person's day unnecessarily.

This is my mindset as well. Back in the day, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. It only took one customer to ruin my day, so I truly appreciated the nice, kind customers who had a kind word or a friendly smile. I try to be like that when I'm shopping and checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 08:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But that is their job. I was taught the customer is always right so I never took it personally. I understand why people are annoyed when they do not get what they pay for and it is part of the CSR job to smooth that over. Not the customer's job to make the worker feel good, that is backwards.
But the customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is very wrong, and it's not a minimum wage employee's job to take abuse because the customer is on a power trip and lacks empathy.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
But that is their job. I was taught the customer is always right so I never took it personally. I understand why people are annoyed when they do not get what they pay for and it is part of the CSR job to smooth that over. Not the customer's job to make the worker feel good, that is backwards.
I was once in a fast food place, waiting for my order, and a man came in, and THREW his bag of food at the cashier, and started cussing out the cashier because his order was wrong. So OK, the order was wrong, and it's certainly within the man's rights to get the order corrected. But it's abusive to THROW the bag of food at the cashier.

I was in another restaurant, where an elderly man berated the cashier because he couldn't read the menu very well, and cashier was trying to answer his questions, but she was soft spoken, and he was hard of hearing, so he decided to yell and scream at her.

When I was a cashier at a grocery store, I was checking this one lady out, and her credit card would not go through. Then she got out another credit card, and it wouldn't go through either. She started calling me names and creating a scene. I was newish, and getting mortified. The manager saw the commotion and came over, so the lady yelled at him. He offered to run the card himself. It didn't work for him either. She loudly cussed us both out, and left.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:11 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I can tell a million stories of PITA customers too. You just need to not take it personally. If people are too sensitive to do that type of work now, then it is a good thing robots will take over most of those jobs. Perhaps the robots can be programmed to deal with these "Karens" using laser technology.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
With all due respect, I feel like you're conflating "Karen" behavior with white supremacy. Every racist white woman isn't a Karen, and every Karen isn't a racist. In fact in the link you provided the psychologist sees it (Karen behavior) as a group of personality traits, including excitement-seeking, neuroticism, lack of warmth. Racism is not a personality trait and the term "Karen" too soft IMO to use to describe entrenched racism as you did above. Call racists what they are. Unless those women acted out like the women in these videos, they are racists and perhaps white supremacists but not Karens. I feel like it's important distinction. "Karen" sounds too benign to use to describe white supremacists to me.

Also, a preference for dating within your race does not make you racist. People can't control who they are attracted to. Some black women are sexually attracted only to other black men, some white women are only sexually attracted to white men. That does not make either a racist. Racism is a set of beliefs and behaviors stemming from the thought that one race is inferior. to another. That has not one thing to do with who you're sexually attracted to.
Thank you.

It has been my experience that everyone has dating/romantic preferences. How many men can honestly say that they prefer women with thick waists and thick legs, for example, and how many women can say they prefer dating very short men? It might not be fair, but it is simply a fact that not everyone views everyone equally and impartially when it comes to potential sexual partners.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:59 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I agree. I start out nice but if I'm getting repeatedly dismissed I'm going to get angry. Like the time I paid for Walmart to deliver groceries to my mother, and they left a bag on the truck. Then when I tried to get the bag redelivered tried to tell me A. "You can come pick up the bag and take it to your mom yourself" (hello, I paid for delivery) and then when I balked at that, B. "We use a contractor for deliveries, you'll have to call them" (No, I paid Walmart and ordered from Walmart, it's not up to me to call your sub-contractor). I had to ask several times for a manager before they'd put one on the phone, and I had to get loud to finally succeed in that. In the end they re-delivered the bag they forgot, which they should have just done in the first place. I don't think I was abusive, but I did raise my voice and made sure she knew I wasn't going away till she put the manager on. I shouldn't have to ask this 3 or 4 times.

I have always worked in customer service type jobs, and I always went above and beyond. So when I experience poor customer service it makes me angry. Just like a waitress will have less patience with an ill-mannered server or one who does a poor job when they go out to dinner.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:08 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is my mindset as well. Back in the day, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. It only took one customer to ruin my day, so I truly appreciated the nice, kind customers who had a kind word or a friendly smile. I try to be like that when I'm shopping and checking out.
The thing is, no one is always only one thing. There are tons of cashiers who would say I was nice and kind and they wished more were like me. And a couple of others where I was angry and would say I'm a b***h. Is either of them 100% right in their assessment? No, people are different things in different moments. Both statements are true about me at different times and under different circumstances.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
The customers 'job' is to act like a rational human being toward his fellow beings.
Last night I had the police ban a customer for employee abuse at the chain store I work in, customers aren't allowed to call us _itches, use foul language, or behave in an inappropriate manner just because they're upset.

There's an old, old saying about how it's easier to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar, it still holds true.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:16 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The customers 'job' is to act like a rational human being toward his fellow beings.
Last night I had the police ban a customer for employee abuse at the chain store I work in, customers aren't allowed to call us _itches, use foul language, or behave in an inappropriate manner just because they're upset.

There's an old, old saying about how it's easier to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar, it still holds true.
How do the police ban a customer? They can make them leave but the store bans the customer from returning. Half the time they come back anyway.

We used to just try to calm the angry people down, and some of the reps were really good at it. I do think it is a skill. I had a friend go nuts at a car rental agency for a mistake they made, and the agent ended up chilling her right out and even made her smile. She later felt foolish for flipping out but the agent who wasn't even a manager, had excellent people skills, didn't take it personally, and did more than de-escalate. That is how you do it.

However if anyone gets physical, then it's line crossed, game on.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:29 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
How do the police ban a customer? They can make them leave but the store bans the customer from returning. Half the time they come back anyway.

We used to just try to calm the angry people down, and some of the reps were really good at it. I do think it is a skill. I had a friend go nuts at a car rental agency for a mistake they made, and the agent ended up chilling her right out and even made her smile. She later felt foolish for flipping out but the agent who wasn't even a manager, had excellent people skills, didn't take it personally, and did more than de-escalate. That is how you do it.

However if anyone gets physical, then it's line crossed, game on.
The police issue a tress pass notice at our request. If they come back they can be arrested. We don't do for customers who are simply loud and angry (usual Karen mode), but when they become belligerent and threatening because of that anger... buh-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology