Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 06:47 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm male and I see nothing wrong with asking for the manager. A few weeks ago I installed the Gulf (a brand of gasoline) payment app, and I was supposed to get $0.10 per gallon off the first month it was installed. I had no idea how to do this and I asked the woman working the cash register. She spoke little English, so I asked for the manager. She dialed some number on her cell to no avail. I called the company and the woman answering the phone wouldn't help. When I got the manager I was mailed a $5.00 gift card.
Update: I received the following reputation comment: "yeah. if the employee is bad at his/her job or doesn't have the authority, ask for a supervisor or contact the company another way - better than being a pushover." It made my point better than I did; anyone want to own it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 07:09 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Since the USA is so PC, then why is the name Karen being used for these situations? It's rather insulting to every woman named Karen including my sister. Surely another type of name could be used.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since the USA is so PC, then why is the name Karen being used for these situations? It's rather insulting to every woman named Karen including my sister. Surely another type of name could be used.
I think it was given by a Millennial person, who looks down on Boomers. You see this attitude a lot now. It is as if Millennials have discovered the world, and the rest of us are ignorant fools. Remember how Boomers used to fight with their elders? It is a generational thing, as much as anything. I doubt there is any real reason for choosing the name Karen except that is a common name of the older generation.

If it is any comfort, they could have chosen my very common first name as easily as Karen.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7aDstrDMf0

She wants a car with a cup holder armrest
She wants a car that will get her there
She's changing her name
From Kitty to Karen

She's trading her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron
I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket

Old 11-28-2020, 09:36 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Why do Karens have to be white? I've had my fair share of black women who were strangers say things to me on the street.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:12 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why do Karens have to be white? I've had my fair share of black women who were strangers say things to me on the street.
Maybe because you are Karen?

Old 11-28-2020, 10:29 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Karens are an attitude, typically white females but they can be any color, gender, age, or ethnicity.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:30 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Maybe because you are Karen?
Nah i was minding my own business.

Personally i never say anything to anyone. Maybe if someone literally got in my space I would. I see people doing all sorts of things and wonder why.

The other day in the park for example there were lots of kids and all were wearing a mask except for two little girls. It was a bit annoying...like why did the mother think they don't have to wear a mask when every other kid was wearing one. Would I have been a karen to have said something? The mother also gave them cheetos and sour cream chips for a snack.

I did live in a neighborhood once where loud music was played after 11pm. I knew that talking to the people would do nothing and felt like I could be in danger if I said anything as they were a rough group so I called the police. Apparently calling the police is a very Karen thing to do...but I need my sleep.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
In a society where we're all judging each other much harsher than in the past, now there's a name for this type of person. That's worse than the person with this type of personality. Such a shame. I didn't read all the pages, but I assume the male Karen is Kevin? That's what I'm going to start using.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Karens are an attitude, typically white females but they can be any color, gender, age, or ethnicity.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology