Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:23 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Lots of people live beyond their means, and honestly I'm not sure if it's more common among low income, middle, or upper-middle class Americans.
The state of Illinois for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:25 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
What is this??? I dont get it..
It’s another we need to bring everyone else who is more successful way down to my level because that’s the only way I can compete and life isn’t fair i want free stuff and someone else who has money should pay for it statement. Why oh why god is life unfair. I want what everyone else who works hard has but I don’t wanna work for it.
As far as the poor....there will always be poor people. Plenty of poor people make something of themselves.

If you’re so in love with how other countries are ran.....go apply for citizenship there and go live there.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:31 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you’re so in love with how other countries are ran.....go apply for citizenship there and go live there.
They won't do that. Instead, they want to turn America into those other countries.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:48 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s another we need to bring everyone else who is more successful way down to my level because that’s the only way I can compete and life isn’t fair i want free stuff and someone else who has money should pay for it statement. Why oh why god is life unfair. I want what everyone else who works hard has but I don’t wanna work for it.
As far as the poor....there will always be poor people. Plenty of poor people make something of themselves.

so...communism?

Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHunter2018 View Post
Nobody even seriously believes that whole nonsense about people "living beyond their means". It's just a cowardly way of saying "let nature weed out the poor" without actually having the adequate pair bolted on firmly enough to come out and say it. No one wants to come out and say "let the poor go homeless and starve so we can control the population" because that doesn't sell so well to the public the way that "you're poor because you did it all wrong" does. It's called economic eugenics and social cleansing and is rooted in social Darwinism. We've seen this mentality in Spain and all over Latin America and as far back as Rome and in religious ideologies like Calvinism and also well-known secular causes like population control.

Back in the day they used to just massacre peasants, herd Jewish, gay and Romani people into gas chambers, or massacre native Americans. Nowadays the eugenics crowds have a new tactic: they don't use guns or biological weapons or any direct means of mass murder. They much prefer the appearance of blamelessness. "I didn't shoot that homeless person, Tuburculosis killed them" or or "I didn't bomb that poor child, cancer killed them" or "I didn't gas that low wage Starbucks worker, Coronavirus killed them." Everyone knows that poor people stand a much higher risk of death. It's written right into Capitalism. It's why America has such a crappy lifespan compared to other countries that have things like socialized health care. When was the last time someone in Canada was denied a heart transplant because they couldn't afford it? The whole idea of our modern economic system is to engage in an intentional culture of negligence in hopes that a whole slew of issues aggravated by poverty will cut down on the population of poor people while leaving no one person at fault for their death. And when questions arise, the perfect response comes forth from those who secretly hold economic eugenics beliefs: "Well they lived beyond their means // they got a feminist dance studies major and had no skills // their tech job got outsourced overseas because they couldn't read and write at a college level // they bought too many Lattes." The dead giveaway here is that these people will never allow any scenario where poverty was caused by factors beyond the control of any given poor person. To these people even an orphaned kid on the street should have done better with his life because... <insert story of ten year old orphan millionaire here> and <I was a poor orphan kid on the mean streets of Urban Junkpileistan and look at me now with my yacht>. The other 7 kids out of 10 who either died or are still living in poverty were just pathetic losers.

My point here is when you read someone telling you that the reason someone is in economic dire straights is because they were living too high on the hog and not saving for a rainy day, and you are thinking of refuting their dishonest narrative - stop immediately. The narrative they're throwing at you is not what they are really arguing. They are wanting to tell you "...and I hope this poor fool dies because the poor are a drag on society" but they don't want to catch a forum ban, which if it isn't a guaranteed banning offense right now it certainly will become so once too many people start coming out openly with that line of thinking. They also subconsciously know that if more people start openly saying "poor people should just die" then it really will spark a social democratic revolution in this country, complete with a basic guaranteed income and a health care Public Option.

So please stop it. It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

LOL!!!! You're so funny! Where do you do your stand-up routines???

Old 09-08-2020, 12:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
What is this??? I dont get it..
Neither does the OP.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
so...communism?
Or some form. Communism sounds great on paper or listening to some fool who is as clueless about communism. Most people who live here are clueless as how communism actually works. You can see it in other countries or read about it. Go live it for 5 years then come back and tell me how great it is.
There are enough communist or dictatorial countries out there...it shouldn’t be a problem finding one to immigrate and apply for citizenship.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:09 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I had a woman referred to me who needs work. She said she's on a small pension for having been a schoolteacher, though she is not of retirement age, so IDK.

Anyway, I didn't ask her how much, but she lives in a two bedroom townhome for $1100/month by herself. Most would live in a one bedroom apt. One doesn't have to live among crime to lower that to $700 here, so I feel like well, yeah, living above her means.
$ 700.00 mo rent? Maybe in 1975.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:11 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I've never heard anybody say "Poor people should die!"
You won't. That is OP's point. People may see them as vermin, or a drain on society, but it is more socially acceptable to blame them than to say what they really feel.

"Let them die and decrease the surplus population." Dickens - A Christmas Carol

Old 09-08-2020, 12:45 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Noone feels this way. I have not achieved some indeterminate success that makes me superior to anyone else.

But my mother did die when i was 13. I did grow up in foster care. I did turn 18 and get thrown out on my butt with a GED and $2000 and told good luck. I did get hooked on drugs. I did have a child out of wedlock at 20 years old with no home of my own. I did fall down again and again. And now Im 33, own a home, married, have a beautiful famliy and me and my husband are on track to make over 200k this year.

Cant blame other people when things are hard and you cant make it work.

But NO ONE wants poor people to die. HOnestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology