Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times

Advertisements

Being alone with your own thoughts???

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...oughts/373936/

I've met people that seem to hate their own brain. Think thats what at least some use alcohol and other drugs for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 05:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
This is so silly.

You will still be "alone with your brain."

Old 09-22-2020, 06:22 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,516 times
Somebody with a lot of meditation experience should chime in here. Sitting alone with your thoughts, and practicing "mindfulness' is not easy. I've done it for 5 minutes, even that can bring on impatience for it to end.
I don't know about drug users or alcoholics, I'd be curious to know though if they felt that way.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Being alone with my thoughts is actually one of my favorite things in the world. I get so much inner work accomplished. I can literally stare at a wall for hours, just thinking, and building...

As an old saying goes "It's hard to improve on silence".

Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 AM

798 posts, read 502,458 times
I enjoy living with me myself and I

It is better to be alone than in bad company.

I pick up on other peoples energy and it disrupts my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0_ZKmTySo

Old 09-25-2020, 12:04 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Somebody with a lot of meditation experience should chime in here. Sitting alone with your thoughts, and practicing "mindfulness' is not easy. I've done it for 5 minutes, even that can bring on impatience for it to end.
I don't know about drug users or alcoholics, I'd be curious to know though if they felt that way.
I’m the same way with meditation. I try to do it but I only set the timer for 6 minutes. If I try to make it for longer than that, I won’t do it at all and I figure some is better than none.

I don’t drink but I have done my share of recreational drugs. Not because I don’t wanna be alone with my thoughts, it’s actually the opposite I’m usually in my head all the time even as a child that was true. Even when I’m around a room full of people, I’m off and in my head. It’s mostly due to a myriad of mild neurological and psychological issues, such as ADHD, OCD (mild) and anxiety. In my experience, most people who have issues like this and are unmedicated, tend to subconsciously medicate themselves in an attempt to feel “normal” through various means, whether drugs or even substances such as caffeine and cigarettes.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:52 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
They simply need a diploma.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7DMCHQJZY

I often want to ask some people I encounter, "What would you do with a brain if you had one?"
Just to see if they'd start singing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs

Old 09-25-2020, 09:51 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
A recovering alcoholic was my yoga and meditation mentor. I wish that I could remember what he told me about mindfulness. It helped. I could do it.

I can no longer manage to do that because it's very easy for me to visualize things which have happened in the past and that gets in the way. The cat that we had when I was five years old walks in. I loved that cat.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:49 PM

101 posts, read 49,523 times
While doing a quick online search of Electric Shock Therapy for depression, I came across this on magnetic brain stimulation.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/three-...tudy-1.3904034

Old 09-27-2020, 06:07 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,156 times
"Mindfulness" meditation is really focused on the "here and now" experience, and how our senses interpret our surroundings. Hearing, vision, smell, touch, etc. It's a method to avoid always being focused on the future or the past, a way to appreciate the people around you at the moment, the small things that you probably overlook in your busy life, a way to get away from preoccupation with obsessional thinking. It's not a new technique, it's been around for decades, "take time to smell the roses" is a perfect metaphor.

Meditation involved with sitting quietly, eyes closed, and focusing on one specific thing is another way to quiet the mind and is not really involved with your own thoughts. It's a form of "sensate focus". Your own thoughts are typically the problem when you turn to meditation. Obsessive thinking, predicting failure, misinterpretation of your surroundings that causes anxiety and depression, ruminating worry about real stressors and sometimes, overblown perceived stressors and the list goes on. Focusing on one specific thing can involve thought or vision.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is another way to step back and analyze your thought process and learn to identify maladaptive thinking that causes stress. You learn to recognize "OK I'm doing it again, I'm predicting that I'm going to fail, this is a bad habit of mine and not based in reality." And you start competing with those thoughts with healthier thoughts. Another example could be "OK, my boss didn't say hello to me in the hall, I did something wrong, he/she doesn't like me, oh no." An alternative reaction can be "this is a bad habit of mine and I need to consider my boss is having a bad day, is preoccupied, and that it has nothing to do with me."

These are just a few examples of how to get away from your inner thoughts. Sitting quietly and dwelling on your own thoughts is probably wasted energy. That's not to say you shouldn't spend time thinking things through, pondering decisions, doing your pro and con list, basically doing your homework, you should. But to "meditate" with the purpose of sitting with your own thoughts is not the typical approach to meditation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology