Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:08 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Okay, this is ridiculous. Most people in my family have high arches, because it's genetic. Has nothing to do with actual tip-toe-ing around. All it means is that we have a hard time wearing boots that slip on, because our feet won't go in.

As a person whose family has the congenital liar gene here and there, and being heterozygous for that trait, myself, I have more than average insight into this stuff.

For reasons stated previously, I do not trust people with high arches. The theory worked for me for over 40 years with multiple people. Take it or leave it.

btw, I used to have to help the crook get his damned cowboy boots off. Wasn't easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 03:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I give you Trump by way of example. He makes no attempt to hide that he encompasses some basket of psychopath, narcissist, et al. Other have described him as a fraud, a charlatan (very charming, very enticing, snake oil salesman sort of person), a cheat and a scam. Yet, somewhere around one-third of the US population have fallen for his shtick. And they would even go so far as to argue that he is the best thing since jesus walked the earth. Maybe even better. To an outside observer, that is absolutely remarkable.
Never underestimate the propensity for someone to take any topic and turn it political. Usually these guys come from the P&C slum sub-forum of hysterics and partisanship. The obsession is almost - "psychophathic".

Regardless, we are throwing around the term "psychopath" too loosely in this thread (the humorous statement above excepted). Most have never met one, most likely have other people in there lives that likewise unfairly label each of us as a "psychopath" due to some slight that occurred in the past. Estranged family members, ex-friends and ex-lovers usually fall into that category.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:24 PM

4,026 posts, read 3,303,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
It's been noted anecdotally and empirically that women raise the pitch of their voice when interacting with a man they find attractive. What I find interesting and maybe a bit troubling from the study was that women tended to respond this way to men who exhibited affective symptoms of psychopathy, such as being emotionally shallow, callous, and unconcerned with the welfare of others. So those are qualities at least some women seem drawn to? WTF?
There is a bunch of research done on the the five factor model of personality. One of the traits in this model is Agreeability. Women overall test higher in traits associated in Agreeability then men. It is hypothesized that since women historically spent more time dealing with infants who couldn't communicate their needs well, that this was a trait that was positively selected for in women. But men tend to have lower levels of Agreeability vs women and the men who have the lower levels of agreeability tend to negotiate higher salaries, get promoted faster and tend to do better in competitive fields like sales. People who score too high in Agreeability tend to do poorly in measures of leadership and decisiveness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fi...onality_traits

What most women are looking for is a guy strong enough to defeat anyone who threatens a woman and her kids, but so in love with her and her kids, he would never hurt her nor their kids. Think about the appeal of cops to badge bunnies.

https://www.policemag.com/373887/the...lster-sniffers

When the psychopath love bombs these women, in some sense he seems like the perfect man. He is dangerous and he seems to love her. A dangerous man who really loves her is an asset to a woman and her children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Never underestimate the propensity for someone to take any topic and turn it political. Usually these guys come from the P&C slum sub-forum of hysterics and partisanship. The obsession is almost - "psychophathic".

Regardless, we are throwing around the term "psychopath" too loosely in this thread (the humorous statement above excepted). Most have never met one, most likely have other people in there lives that likewise unfairly label each of us as a "psychopath" due to some slight that occurred in the past. Estranged family members, ex-friends and ex-lovers usually fall into that category.
Psychopath has two different meanings. To be clinically diagnosed as a psychopath you need to score a 30 in the US and a 25 in the UK. But there is a distribution of people who have traits associated with psychopathy but are subclinical in their diagnosis. There are people in the US who score say 27 on the Hare test, who in the US are not clinically psychopaths, who if they have been diagnosed in the UK would be considered psychopaths.

Their is a range of estimates for the rate of psychopathy in the general public anywhere from 1-4%. If you start including people who are subclinical meaning that they are under 30 in the US, but still scoring above average, the share of population that is in that situation is much higher than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_Checklist

Additionally certain careers tend to have a higher share of psychopaths. So anything involving blood such as surgeons and operating room nurses. Both CEO's and lawyers much more likely to be psychopaths. Actors and performers. People employed in sex work.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:54 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I don't know if blood attracts all sociopaths but I do know that they can make good surgeons and law enforcement officers. Things that would shake some of us to our core they can manage without getting ruffled. They're great war heroes also. Can run in and save people without the kind of fear that would freeze us in our tracks. I've often thought there is a place for them in our society.

A word about psychopathy and honesty. A very, very psychopathic individual can be disarmingly honest. Remember, they have their own moral code and often don't care what others think of them.

Go watch an interview of some of the more notorious psychopaths and marvel at the things they will admit to. Of course that also creates the problem of determining if they are boastfully exaggerating.

I met so many SPDs with a certain somewhat odd ear type that I came to silently label that a "Sociopathic ear." But it's still a good idea not to assume that everyone with that ear type has sociopathic tendencies. That would be judgement prior to experience, wouldn't it?

Old 10-02-2020, 10:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
As a person whose family has the congenital liar gene here and there, and being heterozygous for that trait, myself, I have more than average insight into this stuff.

For reasons stated previously, I do not trust people with high arches. The theory worked for me for over 40 years with multiple people. Take it or leave it.

btw, I used to have to help the crook get his damned cowboy boots off. Wasn't easy.
Oh lordy, high arches run in my exes family, both my kids inherited it. It has to do with with short tendons, not lying. The tiptoes is a result of the tightening of the tendons, not lies. AND if caught soon enough the tendons can be stretched and the tiptoeing alleviated. Medical, Not because they 'quit' lying... mind-boggled.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Psychopath has two different meanings. To be clinically diagnosed as a psychopath you need to score a 30 in the US and a 25 in the UK. But there is a distribution of people who have traits associated with psychopathy but are subclinical in their diagnosis. There are people in the US who score say 27 on the Hare test, who in the US are not clinically psychopaths, who if they have been diagnosed in the UK would be considered psychopaths.

Their is a range of estimates for the rate of psychopathy in the general public anywhere from 1-4%. If you start including people who are subclinical meaning that they are under 30 in the US, but still scoring above average, the share of population that is in that situation is much higher than that.
You are missing the point, the term "Psychopath" is used so frequently as to have no meaning. Yes there is are clinical test used as assessment tools in the criminal justice system. And now of course we have idiots on the internet that adapted into into a checklist ("click on this site, check this box to see if you or someone you know is a psychopath"). Nonsense.
The Hare test and similar tests are usually given to someone that already is incarcerated (i.e. already has a history of violent and criminal behavior) and should be given only, obviously, by a professional in the field and in a controlled environment. What's the purpose? To see if a criminal can be rehabilitated or not.
It's not really intended for the general public as some measure of psychopathy.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:55 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Best to use the term "has sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies." But thanks to the internet everyone is a diagnostician these days.

And lots of diagnosticians get it wrong upon first meeting. Some patients have a potpourri of diagnoses in their charts. A safer comment, when unsure, that I've seen is, "has the flavor of. . ."

There was a time when clinical staff became cautious of sticking people with a label which may follow them for life.

But. Just realized I'm off topic.

Here's a physical characteristic that is more common in sociopathy. They are often mesomorphs which makes them a well-proportioned and attractive body type.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:10 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's not at all what the studies are saying. Did you read them?
First of all, narcissism is not the same as psychopathy and don't go together usually.
Also no one said psychopaths are better looking asa rule. The studies say psychopaths appear to have higher social intelligence and other similar traits, which are not exclusive to psychopaths, and have always been an attractive trait for both men and women. To equate a study that says psychopaths share certain traits that women find attractive to mean one should "act like a psychopath" to attract women is silly. Do you really think only psychopaths have high social intelligence? Is it really news that traits like confidence, good social skills and charisma are attractive to the opposite sex?

The point of the article wasn't to help non-psychopaths alter their behavior to pick up women, it is simply a study that shows many psychopaths share similar personality traits that made them more attractive to people who watched a bunch of 2 minute videos of a variety of people answering the same questions, then checked whether or not the person was attractive to them and why. The interviewees with higher social intelligence and charm, not surprisingly, were ranked more attractive, which again should not be news to anyone. It just so happens that these traits are shared by many psychopaths.

None of the respondents had any idea who they were looking at on the videos or that it was a study that involved psychopaths. None of the women knew whether the men had lack of emotion or not, the questions asked of them did not involve emotional response, they were casual conversation questions. Nor would you know that if it were your neighbor who was boy scout leader by day and killer by night. Again, these traits and high social intelligence are what allows them to hide their fatal flaw and lead double lives and blend into the community without anyone ever suspecting they might be someone other than they present. The Golden State killers daughter lived with him her entire life and never had a clue, he was a good dad to her and a respected cop, and they lived a seemingly normal suburban life.

I find it odd to interpret articles you haven't even read. What are you basing the interpretation on if you don't even look at them? You don't have to read every word, but it seems to me that to comment on them in an effective way you should at least have a sense of what they say and the conclusions they drew.

PS I did not mean to quote myself, lol.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-03-2020 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-03-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
It's been noted anecdotally and empirically that women raise the pitch of their voice when interacting with a man they find attractive. What I find interesting and maybe a bit troubling from the study was that women tended to respond this way to men who exhibited affective symptoms of psychopathy, such as being emotionally shallow, callous, and unconcerned with the welfare of others. So those are qualities at least some women seem drawn to? WTF?
Which of the studies showed that the men exhibited those traits in the experiments? Every one that I looked at only referenced the 2-minute videos, where 50 men were asked benign questions such as what they liked to do on a date. How would the women know from a 2 minute video of a normal conversation whether any of the men were unconcerned about the welfare of others? Not doubting you, I just didn't see anything in the links that said any of the men displayed any of the above traits in the videos, and curious which one had that info.

None of the 50 men were actually diagnosed psychopaths or had criminal records, btw. They were all Canadian university students, and all were given a psychopathy questionnaire before the videos, and it turned out that the men who scored higher in the questionnaire were also the ones ranked most attractive.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I don't know if blood attracts all sociopaths but I do know that they can make good surgeons and law enforcement officers. Things that would shake some of us to our core they can manage without getting ruffled. They're great war heroes also. Can run in and save people without the kind of fear that would freeze us in our tracks. I've often thought there is a place for them in our society.

A word about psychopathy and honesty. A very, very psychopathic individual can be disarmingly honest. Remember, they have their own moral code and often don't care what others think of them.

Go watch an interview of some of the more notorious psychopaths and marvel at the things they will admit to. Of course that also creates the problem of determining if they are boastfully exaggerating.

I met so many SPDs with a certain somewhat odd ear type that I came to silently label that a "Sociopathic ear." But it's still a good idea not to assume that everyone with that ear type has sociopathic tendencies. That would be judgement prior to experience, wouldn't it?
Actually sociopaths do not fit in society well. It is psychopaths who are well able to hide their tendencies and blend into society, while sociopaths do not so easily. Sociopaths tend to be hot headed and people can see they're not right, while psychopaths can hide who they really are for their entire lives.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-sociopath-380184
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology