Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
But the fact is that the above is simply true. If a guy cares deeply about his wife, then the above is absolutely, 100% true. It is not a control thing, it is simply life- if my wife is not happy, then I am not happy. I want to do all I can to make sure she is happy- if she is happy then I am happy.

Sure it probably goes the other way, too- where if I am really grumpy about something it brings her mood down, too. But what I control is doing what I can to make the person I love happy and comfortable.
You missed my point.

If your happiness does not depend on your wife, that will actually be better for her.

When she is not happy, you can offer her your independently high happiness and that will lift her up.

If her bad mood tanks yours too, it's going to be harder to lift you both back up.

Being happy independently of others is absolutely something anyone can learn to do. It offers you more internal strength and gives you more to share with those around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:50 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
The phrase is a throwback... but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm a husband and a father. Frankly, I'm not happy most of the time, as this year has just been one big mess after another. But I continue to go to work, support my family, and I don't complain about it... there's no point, it is what it is.

My wife on the other hand, if she's not happy, she'll complain from sunup to sundown. Not all women are like that, but I would say as far as gender goes, men are much less likely to complain about things than women. My wife is also a mother, and she shoulders a much bigger responsibility for our child than I do, and thereby has a greater affect on our child's happiness too. If she's happy, most likely our child is happy, and if both of them are happy, that's one less thing I have to worry about. If I'm happy, it doesn't make a difference, life goes on.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The phrase is a throwback... but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm a husband and a father. Frankly, I'm not happy most of the time, as this year has just been one big mess after another. But I continue to go to work, support my family, and I don't complain about it... there's no point, it is what it is.

My wife on the other hand, if she's not happy, she'll complain from sunup to sundown. Not all women are like that, but I would say as far as gender goes, men are much less likely to complain about things than women. My wife is also a mother, and she shoulders a much bigger responsibility for our child than I do, and thereby has a greater affect on our child's happiness too. If she's happy, most likely our child is happy, and if both of them are happy, that's one less thing I have to worry about. If I'm happy, it doesn't make a difference, life goes on.
Don't take this the wrong way, but reading this post made me very sad.

Can you imagine how much better everyone's life would be if BOTH of you were happy?

Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Being happy independently of others is absolutely something anyone can learn to do. It offers you more internal strength and gives you more to share with those around you.
This is so so so true.

Being cognizant of where your emotions come from...that they don't come from someone else...is the greatest skill one can learn.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
my wife users that saying to win arguments. e.g.-
i like the house in this neighborhood since it's closer to my job. happy wife, happy life.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:51 AM

644 posts, read 307,308 times
Haha, the longer I'm married the longer I think this is true. I hate to admit it, but I seem to set the emotional tone in the family a lot. If I'm happy I can smooth over tensions and cheer everyone up. If I'm miserable, it's not long before everyone starts losing it on each other. Not to mention I start to drive my husband batty with my complaining.

Not that I complain about small things, but this year it's more big things than usual. We had a giant argument about child care this August and wanted to do completely opposite things. When I tried to respect his decision, I got so stressed imagining the consequences that I could not eat or sleep for two weeks until he relented. Of course, as much as I tried to contain my feelings, no one in the house was happy then.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
happy spouse, happy life.

however, the wife usually exposes the underlying problem issues in a marriage, in my experience, because wives are more vocal and emotional than husbands if unhappy. not always the case obviously.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-21-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 12:44 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I was going to post in one of the relationship fora, but wasn't sure. So move if necc., mods.

I find that cliché to be long past its expiration date, and yet I hear it used a fair amount still, and without apology.

Do others still hear it a lot, and why hasn't it gone by the wayside like other gender stereotype clichés?
It IS a cliche and I throw up when I hear it, but I wouldn't call it a gender stereotype. It's just that "husband" or any other terms for a married male don't rhyme with much.

If one person is routinely unhappy in a relationship then its unlikely that the other is particularly happy either, unless that person is totally out to lunch (which happens) or separated by distance/circumstance (like travels a lot for work.)

Being married means that one will invariably have to make the decision to put the other person's happiness/desires/preferences ahead of their own.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but reading this post made me very sad.

Can you imagine how much better everyone's life would be if BOTH of you were happy?
You aren't wrong, but your statement seems to imply that his wife has a direct causative effect on his unhappiness. There are a lot of things that are making me less than happy lately, and my wife doesn't come into play on any of them, really. They aren't her fault, she can't fix them, and she can't do much to make it easier/better.

Here's a silly example.

My wife wanted another dog. I didn't want another dog. I didn't hate the idea of it, just would have waited a few more years to get another one. My reasons for not wanting one weren't that big of a deal to me. We got a dog.

My wife wanted to go on a cruise, us and some other couples. Nope. No way, no how. They aren't fun for me, and I'm not spending that money on something that I'll viscerally NOT like while simultaneously consuming vacation days. We didn't go on that cruise.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
This is so so so true.

Being cognizant of where your emotions come from...that they don't come from someone else...is the greatest skill one can learn.
IDK...I've heard that, but it doesn't make much sense to me in terms of a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology