Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
At any rate in my case it's a definite yes , which I think ( on the whole ) stems partly from my upbringing and partly from my nature/the fact that I still haven't fully adopted a " grown up " attitude about many things .
Quote:
Why do you seem to think I react to issues I have with authority figures in a childish manner though ?

What have I ever specifically written that even implies that ?

I'm genuinely curious .
from the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 03:17 PM

724 posts, read 503,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
from the above?

That's the implication ?

Even after I've gone into detail as to what I mean by that ?

Hey whatever floats your boat man , but I must say that that is what's silly .

Of course so am I for replying to this , but I suppose that makes us even .

P.S. Oh wait question mark ...

The point is I'm puzzled why people assume I do things I haven't written about doing , especially on an essentially nameless/faceless forum like this where all you can assume about a person is what they write , but methinks I need to get some fresh air now .

Old 10-21-2020, 03:33 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Why do you seem to think I react to issues I have with authority figures in a childish manner though ?

What have I ever specifically written that even implies that ?

I'm genuinely curious .
Well, let's see here...

In your OP you implied that you would prefer to "thrash" an opponent instead of call some neutral authoritative mediator to settle an altercation. Making it physical to get something you want is by definition, childish.

Regarding all police as potentially bad because you've run in to problems with them before is blaming them for something you probably created for yourself. Refusing to place responsibility where it belongs is childish.

You could have gotten drunk and cranked up the music at home instead of making it public. You wanted the reaction. Knowingly annoying innocent people with obnoxious noise and drunken behavior just because you need to be entertained is selfish, inconsiderate, and, BTW, childish.

You also implied that you'd deliberately do something you knew wasn't going to be tolerated by someone in authority. Its an open challenge and thumbing your nose at them. Waving a red shirt in front of a known bull in a field is also childish.

You probably started this thread to start a fight. Looks like you have a desperate need to be considered a bada$$ because you're insecure. Its juvenile.

What more is there to really say?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-21-2020 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 04:33 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Authority figures? That's why I am self employed.

I don't have any problems with being considerate of my neighbors, though.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-21-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, let's see here...

In your OP you implied that you would prefer to "thrash" an opponent instead of call some neutral authoritative mediator to settle an altercation. Making it physical to get something you want is by definition, childish.

Regarding all police as potentially bad because you've run in to problems with them before is blaming them for something you probably created for yourself. Refusing to place responsibility where it belongs is childish.

You could have gotten drunk and cranked up the music at home instead of making it public. You wanted the reaction. Knowingly annoying innocent people with obnoxious noise and drunken behavior just because you need to be entertained is selfish, inconsiderate, and, BTW, childish.

You also implied that you'd deliberately do something you knew wasn't going to be tolerated by someone in authority. Its an open challenge and thumbing your nose at them. Waving a red shirt in front of a known bull in a field is also childish.

You probably started this thread to start a fight. Looks like you have a desperate need to be considered a bada$$ because you're insecure. Its juvenile.

What more is there to really say?
Ah I see ...

It's truly a shame to see people making posts like this , but I see no point for a rebuttal since my posts speak for themselves and I'll let the readers make up their regarding the truth .

Anyways there is indeed nothing more to say and I wish you a pleasant evening/day/ whatever applies in your time zone regardless .

Last edited by Lionel Fauquier; 10-21-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Here are some other aspects of this issue to discuss , that will hopefully get things back on track :

Do you think that following the lead of authority figures gets easier or harder as one ages ?

Does one's upbringing play a minor or major role in one's attitude towards authority figures ?

Is one better off adopting a go along to get along attitude or not ?

Old 10-21-2020, 07:03 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,654 times
Well, the OP asked a question. He didn't ask for his words to be critiqued, did he? Too many busy-body's and know-it-all's on here for me.

I'll answer for me. Yes, I still have issues with authority, moreso as I've gotten older and wiser

Old 10-21-2020, 08:54 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
My boss and I have come to an understanding but we have fought in the past because of the big wig. It's the big people that have issues with me, like when I was in school most of my teachers liked me while the principal always had daggers for me. I also used to have vocational coaches that didn't like me (my current ones seem nice though..just impatiently waiting to get work done with them). I have a sore spot with the police so I don't really like them either. One of my favorite shows ironically is Brooklyn 99. If the cops were like them IRL I would love them but unfortunately a lot of them aren't. I feel like I'm similar with doctors but I ditched my former doctor so the doctors since then I find to be okay for allopathic doctors.
There were also a few sites with moderators/owners that had issues with me (most of them were about earning extra money) but I probably do better online than IRL with conflict.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
to answer directly- Sure there are some Persons granted positions that are authoritative in nature. Who really did not understand how to treat or address another human being during a "difference" of regulations.

I sense OP that you are not so much against authority figures as you are against "the rules apply to others, yet not Moi!". I respect that ambition to be your own person and test the waters. Where I find you in the scope of growth and maturity is , you will progress in either being challenged for your obstinate nature or you will come to an understanding that to get along, you have to concede to a more amicable existance . You are not so unique in wishing to challenge a system you rebuke.....its a transistion that most come to terms with and grow from. I do hope you pass this phase with flying colors and learn to be apart of solutions and not the problem. In your original posting you mention in the "adult" mindset, which I dare say, to what extent are you an adult if your still traveling thur the Teen angst years of behavior and attitude?

Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,090 times
Quote:
I was raised among people who considered it improper to ( say ) call the cops to resolve a dispute with your neighbor and proper to thrash said neighbor if the fellow couldn't come to terms with you.
A mentality that is (arguably) much more commonly associated with lower/working class urban areas , but nonetheless still exists in rural ones ( or at least the one of my formative years ) and while I've mellowed out a lot since becoming an adult , it's still extremely hard for me to even think about calling the police for any reason.

In fact I've actually never called the cops for any reason to this very day and I still automatically tense up when I see cops, partly due to both past and present experiences/the lingering suspicion of anyone with a badge that everyone who grew up in the community I did probably has
I think that it's sad that there are whole communities out there where kids grow up being suspicious about or tense around police officers

Just a different way of life, I guess... Although I am sure it goes both ways, but it's probably making it harder for police officers to work efficiently in those areas, possibly having to act with more force and be more "jumpy" overall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology