Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know why this would bother anyone. I'm actually 58, but sometimes I forget how old I am exactly and "fifty something" works too. I don't owe anyone an explanation one way or the other. I'm not ashamed of my age at all, and not trying to hide it, but it's also not a big issue to me one way or the other.

My daughter has a birthday in late December and she never knows how old she is exactly. (She's 30 something.) One year she went a whole year thinking she was a year older than she actually was!

My dad's birthday was also in December and he often forgot how old he was exactly. I mean, after a certain age, and this varies with people from my experience, it's just not that big a deal to be exact about one's age. I can tell people my birthday all day long if they want to do the math but so far I haven't run into anyone in real life who cares one way or the other.
LOL oops, I already answered this! At least both answers are similar which does indicate a level of honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:14 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Also, why do some people put the word “young” after their age instead of the traditional “old?” Twenty years old, thirty-five years old often becomes fifty-five years young or sixty years young.
Why?
Why not just stick to convention? To me, a person using “young” after his/her age has a bit of an age hang-up, which maybe is ok.
It's a coy or cutesy way of flattering an older person. No one uses "young" instead of "old" when the person is actually young. In my opinion, calling someone "seventy-five years young" defeats the purpose; the unconventional wording only emphasizes the age and the fact that the person is actually old.

If you say it about your own age, you appear to be in denial.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL oops, I already answered this! At least both answers are similar which does indicate a level of honesty.
Threads are twice as fun when answered the same way each time. Both honesty and consistency!

Being 53 myself, I find it a fun age to fess up to. No reason really other than my firm belief that I only have so many (figs) to give in a day, and that isn't one of them. Zero (figs) Given philosophy is serving me real well latter half of 2020 into 2021. Just sayin'.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've always wondered why the newspaper articles always state the person's age even when it isn't relevant to the story. People make judgments. I've seen incredibly idiotic stories that refer to a person as "elderly" and then in a subsequent paragraph say that the person is 61. 61 isn't elderly, but the use of that word just conjured up to the reader a frail, slow-moving human being when that might not be true at all.

So, often a precise age is obtained to slant an article to put a picture in a person's mind that might not really be accurate. Perhaps the "fifty-something" person did not want to be so pegged.
If the story was written by someone who is 22 in their mind 61 is elderly...

I enjoy seeing people’s ages on some of the reality style TV shows as it gives me a point of comparison. Either “I look pretty darn good compared to him” or “I need to hit the gym”.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:48 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

I enjoy seeing people’s ages on some of the reality style TV shows as it gives me a point of comparison. Either “I look pretty darn good compared to him” or “I need to hit the gym”.
How would a fetus even get a job at a newspaper?

Old 02-23-2021, 11:32 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Yeah, I like to compare. You can google ¨what does 65 look like¨, for example. Then I don´t feel too bad.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
As other have mentioned, I forget exactly how old I am. So, approx is good enough.

If I am filling out a form where accuracy is needed, I have to stop and think about it. I remember what year I was born, then I do some fast arithmetic in my head to come up with my age.

And the young kids today say there is no reason to have to learn arithmetic since they have their phones and calculators. Ahah! Here's a reason. Wait till they get old. Then they'll be sorry.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
One poster who is 58 suddenly now refers to herself as "I'm in my 50's"! ha ha ~ (saying 58 is too close to 60!)

This is after she realized most men want someone a bit younger than themselves. Like if a man is in his 50's, he often wants a woman in her 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology