Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 10:28 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times

Advertisements

I feel like I've read too many articles on people saying they paid for their husband's or wife's student loans, most of them $25-50k or even more, only to have their partner leave them after they get their degree! Maybe I'm too selfish or individualistic or not old-fashioned enough, but I never understood why anyone would do that (agree to pay for it or agree to let their partner pay for it). I'm all about emotional support but when it comes to finances and debt, I like to keep that separate. I just don't understand why the other person would agree to pay for it. Some sort of insecurity perhaps? Maybe they think it would lock their partner in? (Esp if they end up leaving after.. ) the things people do for love.. or would it be insecurity in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 01:54 PM

23,282 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Might as well ask why one spouse/life partner chooses to do anything for the other...

Old 11-12-2020, 02:06 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
For some stupid reason if the wife has outstanding debt the husband is responsible in the eyes of the law. So it's better to pay it off.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:33 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I feel like I've read too many articles on people saying they paid for their husband's or wife's student loans, most of them $25-50k or even more, only to have their partner leave them after they get their degree! Maybe I'm too selfish or individualistic or not old-fashioned enough, but I never understood why anyone would do that (agree to pay for it or agree to let their partner pay for it). I'm all about emotional support but when it comes to finances and debt, I like to keep that separate. I just don't understand why the other person would agree to pay for it. Some sort of insecurity perhaps? Maybe they think it would lock their partner in? (Esp if they end up leaving after.. ) the things people do for love.. or would it be insecurity in this case?
Why would they pay for the student loans BEFORE The person gets the degree? The student loans are not due until after graduation. I have one friend who got a degree with student loans and then she and her husband had to get those loans down in order to qualify for a mortgage. My friend got a divorce about a year later. Another friend was married and they agreed to pay off her husband’s student loans first. I assume his had higher interest. I think she ended up waiting a while to get a divorce due to financial reasons. Ultimately the debt affects the couple, even if only one person took out the loan. It is still considered debt when you buy a home, car, etc.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:43 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
For some stupid reason if the wife has outstanding debt the husband is responsible in the eyes of the law. So it's better to pay it off.
Except that's not true.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Presumably, they think the household will bring in more money with the degree.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
If this question needs to be addressed, why bother getting married.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
For some of us, when I married him, his bills and my bills become our bills. We worked together to build a life together, and it worked perfectly for 40 years. With one person at the helm of the money, we always knew everything got paid. There were systems in place.

However, it is seen as old-fashioned. The new way to do it is you pay yours, I pay mine and we come to an agreement about what’s joint. Either way you do it, there has to be a lot of trust and discussion between the two of you. Because when you’re making a life together you owe it to each other to save for retirement, save for joint vacations, that sort of thing common living stuff...

Although my late husband did love the joke of what’s mine is hers...and what’s hers is hers! I miss that man.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 11-13-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-13-2020, 05:25 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Most couples work together to get on firm financial footing. This would include helping each other get rid of debts, assuming that they are both working towards the same goal.

I can see a couple keeping assets before marriage separate, or keeping things separate if one of them is financially irresponsible, but otherwise no.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:51 AM

9,864 posts, read 4,638,421 times
On one hand with a 50% divorce rate at times and 'oh by the way I have 50K ' in student debt paying someone else's debt is not the best idea. On the other if one is getting married it's 'share and share alike' .

Unless both have the same attitude towards that debt it wouldn't be smart to get married let alone pay that debt because money can wind up being a huge issue leading towards divorce. Perhaps one spouse did play/abuse the other's finances intentionally. But they still got married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology