Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 08:24 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times

Advertisements

Social media is the yearly xmas card/novel year round. At least one doesn't have to read a diary once a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
I'm glad I never had a Facebook account.

The vanity, the PC and cancel culture.

Way too much weirdness for me. Something important going on? Give me a call or send an email.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
IMO, they are trying to make up for the actual lack of whatever they brag about.

I think the situation is the opposite of whatever they are bragging on. Trying to convince themselves.

Part of the reason FB has never held the least appeal to me.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:58 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Fiance' & I have talked about this from time to time. In our opinion, it's a combo of:

- attention-starvers
- a facade to appear happy, but really not with each other
- a level of narcissism

If it was up to me, I wish FB would shut down for a FULL month at the least or heck, a whole year to know that many of these kinds of people will squirm in a frenzy because they won't have a way to show off to anyone anymore & get the accolades anymore. Oh boo-hoo!

I posted already, but to add more, my fiance's stupid, a-hole, narc(issistic) b@$t@rd of a brother cheats or his 2nd wife left & right, degrades her, mocks, & devalues her, yet on FB, he's said, "I love my wife unconditionally, big, fat, short, tall, bald, doesn't matter..." Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. the lousy thing is, their FB public doesn't know the real truth so they're giving the thumbs up, high fives, heart emoticons, accolades, saying what a great husband he he is, etc. Even their own mohter's fooled & he doesn't treat her right either. IN fact, he's stolen money from his own mother, but she keeps up appearances too to appear like the stellar mother who raised some stellar kids.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Before Facebook, this stuff wasn’t so in your face. I’ve known people who act like they are in the best marriages, and have the best children, and are living the best life ever… And it’s all a sham. All before FB.

There’s a difference between not airing your dirty laundry and basically trying to make everybody think that everything is just amazing and wonderful every single day. And the opposite, I see it here and other places where everything is just awful every day all the time for people and I don’t believe that either.

I think there is too much made of social media, and there is a problem with it. Some people apparently no longer feel they have a life unless it is on social media which ever one they choose. I mean there are people who are making living off of YouTube videos. They’ve monetize their lives, which OK I guess but seems like a horrible way to live. With the second you post something the haters show up and start ripping you to pieces.

But frankly, if it’s that bothersome to you, you can snooze him for 30 days. Maybe a break will help you deal with the fact that they’re doing this. You can’t control them, you can only control yourself. Make yourself happy.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:31 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Perhaps they are a very attractive couple and think their photos are a form of entertainment for the masses -- the likes are reinforcing that notion. By and large they are emulating reality TV stars.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:01 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
For the same reason anyone plays up any aspect of their life-- how much they love their job, how big of a deal a hobby is, etc.

Maybe they're really gung-ho and/or obsessed with it. Maybe they're trying to convince themselves they're happy. Maybe it's the only thing going right in their life so it's what they post about. Maybe they're trying to stick it to someone else.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:14 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Narcissism, insecurity, overcompensation.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:36 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,210 times
For some people it may just be extreme extraversion, maybe a bit of exhibitionism.

I dont use facebook now but when I did I had a friend that did this. She is just an extremely outgoing and extraverted person. She did post a lot of gushy posts about her husband, bragging about romantic things he did for her, flowers, roses on the bed, Valentines surprises, balloons delivered to work, etc. Photos of their vacations.

I care about my friend so it made me happy to see her happy. If she were someone I disliked, then it probably would have annoyed me. But she was a lovable person and it just created feel good vibes all around to see her happy, for those who also love her and care for her, of which there are hundreds.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:44 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
I know a number of people who are constantly posting - where they went, what they ate, a picture of a beer they drank, the street they walked on with graffiti on a building, something they purchased, going somewhere with someone, a dessert they ordered, etc, etc...It's never ending.

Not sure why they think the world really cares about such minutiae and not sure if they are really living "in the moment" if they're thinking about and bothering to take pictures and posting, instead of just enjoying whatever it is.

I don't ask why they're doing this, but they must get something out of it or else they'd stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology