Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 03:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
[/b]

What I consider a more perplexing question is, why is anyone reading about these people? Why do you read about their minutiae?
I'm online WFH all day, and it's entertaining filler for my downtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm online WFH all day, and it's entertaining filler for my downtime.

thanks for the response. That sounds reasonable. Sort of why I'm on CD.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:54 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I have a friend that him and his girlfriend on social are constantly posting about how much in love they are with each other. I have seen other people who do this as well. I find it quite annoying but at the same time I am curious as to why they do it? And I am not talking about people who do it once in a while. I am talking about people who do it week in and week out and the posts are so over the top.

Why is it necessary that everyone knows that you are sooooo in love? I sometimes find these people some of the relationships that are the most volatile. The one friend I mentioned above his girlfriend actually once threw something at his face in anger and it cut his face. Other times his girlfriend has gotten so drunk that they get into insane fights. She actually blacks out drunk quite a bit and goes after him when she is drunk too.

The interesting thing is I have noticed the most stable relationships that I know of, never post stuff like that. They post about their lives, but they aren't trying to showcase their relationships, only on special occasions like birthday or anniversary or a holiday (like mother's/father's day).

I sometimes ask myself are they trying to convince everyone else or themselves that they have such a "great" relationship?

While this thread might sound more like me just complaining, I am really curious as to the psychological reasons that people feel the need to do this?
They haven't gotten enough attention in their lives, apparently. I 'feel sorry' for this type of person. Sometimes I also think maybe they are hoping to be 'discovered.'

Recently, took Doggo to a small waterfall nearby.....for a swim, before it got cold. There was only one other car in the parling lot and it was a young lady sitting in the drivers seat 'posing' at her phone...so I presume she was taking selfies or was talking to someone on FaceTime...but she was doing the hair thing, turning her head here and there....I found it flat out weird. Later, I thought she might be 'auditioning' to get some drugs. Man, have I turned in to a cynic!!! But as some point she sped off, so that was my impression and I usually have accurate gut feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology