Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:49 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,114,923 times

Advertisements

They were not "proved right," someone's been watching to much CNN and ABC. The odds of surviving COVID are astronomically in your favor unless in a risk group. This lock down is (bad word, self-censoring). But, the loons run the asylum at the moment, so: so be it, reap the whirlwind people.

It was an "asinine over reaction," by your employer; well-said actually. Of course, if it was or wasn't may be a function of POV, politics, etc. as-well.

I'm not qualified to comment on (your) anxiety, as someone who might have a few neuroses of my own. I don't have clinical training in counseling that.

Bottom line: you cannot affect what "they" do in terms of lockdowns. The amount of so-called news out there RE COVID is crazed. I turned it off months ago. Plus the pseudo-science on C-D, FB, and etc. which is nothing more than opinion. You'll need to look at the data, preferably from the CDC in Atlanta, and check their methodology. Not WHO, whom are mouthpieces for filthy totalitarian regimes. If it seems believable, believe it then ...and only after you're satisfied.

It IS all an INTOLERABLE HYPOCRISY ...pardon for shouting in emphatic agreement, but welcome to it! I think we all need therapy post-pandemic...and when, btw, will that occur according to those freakin' quacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 04:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
I don't think that sounds like PTSD.

I have PTSD. It started in 1994; after 4 firefighters had to pry my dead child, who had suffered an adverse reaction to her vaccines, out of my arms as I was trying to resuscitate her.

It's finally simmered down to a "chronic" presentation versus the quite terrifying "acute" presentation I suffered from for 20 years. The difference means that while I still have anxiety when I hear sirens, or struggle with intrusive thoughts of impending doom; I do not wake up screaming & thrashing while dreaming about running through the night holding a dead child. It means I am no longer afraid to fall asleep.

PTSD can be exacerbated by stress though. That happened to me 8 years ago when I had to evacuate from a forest fire. My neighborhood was mislabeled on a FEMA map as "commercial" so we never got the order. I was alone with my three youngest children. My son is disabled; he was 9 years old but weighed over 100 lbs. My little girls ran along side of me as we ran for our lives to our car, holding wet towels over our heads as huge chunks of flaming debris rained on us from above. I carried my son; I honestly do not remember him feeling heavy. It was surreal using windshield wipers to knock flames off my window so I could see.

That caused a flare up of the "old" ptsd that I wasn't prepared for. I felt disappointing in myself. Nobody died (in my family, although that fire did cause fatalities). We didn't even lose anything in the fire, while some of our friends lost everything. What right did I have to start having problems again? It was because of what had happened in 1994.

Telework ...? How?

I disagreed with my diagnosis at first. I thought PTSD only happened to war veterans.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:06 PM

18,529 posts, read 15,510,571 times
Thanks for all the replies. I suppose I do not have clinical PTSD but do have anxiety issues. Some here have said they are also have some anxiety and some here are puzzled how my mental health could be suffering. I think I will try relaxation techniques for now, and if these issues persist post-pandemic, I may need therapy.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I suppose I do not have clinical PTSD but do have anxiety issues. Some here have said they are also have some anxiety and some here are puzzled how my mental health could be suffering. I think I will try relaxation techniques for now, and if these issues persist post-pandemic, I may need therapy.
You absolutely do not have PTSD.

Get a high speed internet connection, keep your house clean, and put on a sweater if you are cold.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 PM

16,449 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Quote:
To me, forced telework feels like an intolerable invasion of privacy because the employer is effectively imposing requirements on where you can live, in the sense that you have to have enough space for a home workspace, fast internet, and comfortable climate control on all day, plus accepting the possibility that you have to show co-workers the inside of your own home and the possibility of misplacing work-related items in your home .
Personally, I love teleworking. I'd be happy if I never went back to the office.

Home workspace? I've got a den. You surely have at least a kitchen table, which really is all you need.

Fast internet? If you don't have it already, you really should get it. It makes non-work internet usage so much more enjoyable.

Comfortable climate control? I love being in control of the climate, being able to set it where I want it (well, where my wife and I want it) instead of being at the mercy of whatever the building superintendent wants to give me.

Co-workers seeing the inside of my house? All they see is me and the window behind me. I draw the blinds so it's easier for them to see my face instead of the light glare. You can aim your camera at whatever part of your house you'd like to show them, even if it's only a blank wall.

Misplacing work items? Everything I'm doing for work is online, so there's nothing to misplace. If you need to handle physical items, you could get a box or clear out a drawer for your work stuff.

Oh, and on top of all that, I get to sleep later, avoid the commute, wear comfortable clothes, eat whatever food I have available at home instead of packing a sandwich, use my household bathroom instead of share the office one, and be available to help my kids with their homework.

Come on, OP, this work-from-home stuff is awesome! Take advantage of it!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 33,397,843 times
Quote:
Back in 2019, the employer once told us to telework so they could renovate the office, and I had a noticeable anxiety attack in the meeting room due to not knowing if my internet at home could support it or if I would just have to burn through my vacation time. Though they did eventually let me stay, this left somewhat of a scar on me.

Then in March of this year, when there were only about 1,000 cases of COVID-19 in all of America, my employer was already starting to talk about telework. For those couple of weeks between then and when everything closed down, I thought it was an absurd over-reaction because I expected this to die out like SARS and Ebola, and that it was just another media brouhaha . Though they proved right, the anxiety I suffered for that fateful week or two, and anger at what I believed was an asinine over-reaction, has continued to take a toll on me. I find myself suffering bouts of anxiety at the thought that when this pandemic is over, they are going to shut things down the next time there is a Swine Flu/Bird Flu/Ebola scare even if it does not become a pandemic.

To me, forced telework feels like an intolerable invasion of privacy because the employer is effectively imposing requirements on where you can live, in the sense that you have to have enough space for a home workspace, fast internet, and comfortable climate control on all day, plus accepting the possibility that you have to show co-workers the inside of your own home and the possibility of misplacing work-related items in your home .

I also find myself suffering anger whenever business executives eat at a dangerous restaurant while simultaneously telling employees to telework because of COVID-19, which due to my psychological problems, feels like an intolerable hypocrisy. Last weekend I almost went into a rage and had to talk to a friend to calm myself down.

Can this pass, or will I need therapy post pandemic?
Sounds like your house is not on the same level as your co-workers and it stresses you out. Just make sure the area where you're working is clean. You can make a fake back drop by hanging a curtain with thumb tacks if you need to.

My daughter and grandson used to live with us, I was always picking up after them. When grandson had to start remote learning, I cleaned off the island for him (it was a dumping ground), he had the pantry door behind him.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:47 AM

908 posts, read 957,994 times
You can download a background to use. Many of my coworkers use this. Maybe ask your HR for a stipend for working at home. My company started doing this to help w/ internet costs. But yeah, you're totally overreacting.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 AM

898 posts, read 671,675 times
I say find a good therapist now. Working at home can be very stressful and present its own mental challenges. Feeling your environment has changed completely due to forces outside of your control--super stressful.

It doesn't have to be PTSD to need help, and you sound very anxious. That in itself is reason to get help now, so that you can deal with things and start to feel better.

I second the Talkspace idea, and of course use your employer EAP if you have it.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
You can download a background to use. Many of my coworkers use this. Maybe ask your HR for a stipend for working at home. My company started doing this to help w/ internet costs. But yeah, you're totally overreacting.
FYI- not every company uses Zoom. I am in government and we do not use that. When we have meetings, we just have the regular background. I have to move my laptop for meetings because I don’t have enough space for it on my desk. My camera is only about a foot from the wall. If the OP has a laptop, she can also do the same to have a better work area during video calls. A lot of people don’t even care that much. I know I’ve called my supervisor and she has been in (modest) workout attire or wearing a baseball cap. Yep, you probably should upgrade to something above pajamas, but unless is some high level call, I can’t see any place requiring full makeup and a house that looks like it came out of a catalog.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:18 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,919,710 times
Quote:
Back in 2019, the employer once told us to telework so they could renovate the office, and I had a noticeable anxiety attack in the meeting room due to not knowing if my internet at home could support it or if I would just have to burn through my vacation time. Though they did eventually let me stay, this left somewhat of a scar on me.

Then in March of this year, when there were only about 1,000 cases of COVID-19 in all of America, my employer was already starting to talk about telework. For those couple of weeks between then and when everything closed down, I thought it was an absurd over-reaction because I expected this to die out like SARS and Ebola, and that it was just another media brouhaha . Though they proved right, the anxiety I suffered for that fateful week or two, and anger at what I believed was an asinine over-reaction, has continued to take a toll on me. I find myself suffering bouts of anxiety at the thought that when this pandemic is over, they are going to shut things down the next time there is a Swine Flu/Bird Flu/Ebola scare even if it does not become a pandemic. To me, forced telework feels like an intolerable invasion of privacy because the employer is effectively imposing requirements on where you can live, in the sense that you have to have enough space for a home workspace, fast internet, and comfortable climate control on all day, plus accepting the possibility that you have to show co-workers the inside of your own home and the possibility of misplacing work-related items in your home . I also find myself suffering anger whenever business executives eat at a dangerous restaurant while simultaneously telling employees to telework because of COVID-19, which due to my psychological problems, feels like an intolerable hypocrisy. Last weekend I almost went into a rage and had to talk to a friend to calm myself down.

Can this pass, or will I need therapy post pandemic?
No offense, but sounds like you need some therapy now. You should be thankful you have the opportunity to work from home instead of being out of work, like so many others. My daughter in law has been on furlough for months and may never be called back, as the convention industry has taken a nosedive. My son owns a small restaurant and has been struggling to keep his head above water. I feel lucky I was able to transition to a WFH environment and keep a steady paycheck coming in. Try to see the positive side of your situation and you'll feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology