Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2020, 10:15 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times

Advertisements

Just watched this in its entirety (and I'm much of a book person than I am a devotee of YouTube University), and I found it quite a worthwhile watch. Would appreciate any feedback. My only criticism is that I think he speaks entirely from an academic perspective and as such does not exactly demonstrate much empathy for the depressed (the laughter of the audience at decidedly unfunny junctures does not much help), but this is still about as good an overview of the topic as one could provide, I'd say. And he does at least reiterate on multiple occasions the biological reality of the disease of depression (though somewhat needlessly, given the detail he goes into on precisely that topic for the duration of the lecture...well, sans the portion he devotes to the psychological-not-biological 'aspect' of the condition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc&t=4s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 12:49 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Thanks, Matt. Very interesting. And you are right...not the warmest touchy feely person...definitely more an academic/scientist. Interesting that a depressed person’s sleep cycles are so messed up and non-restorative, since we think of someone with depression as sleeping a lot, but the quality is lacking.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:27 AM

720 posts, read 429,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
My only criticism is that I think he speaks entirely from an academic perspective and as such does not exactly demonstrate much empathy for the depressed (the laughter of the audience at decidedly unfunny junctures does not much help), but this is still about as good an overview of the topic as one could provide, I'd say.
I've watched all of his lectures online and he is a brilliant and gifted professor. I believe on the contrary that he is a very empathetic person, he just knows how to separate his work from his personal feelings. When you are a professor in such a field I think it's important to be flexible and not be serious all the time. I think it helps the students also enjoy and actually learn easier. I kind of disagree that he speaks entirely from an academic perspective, cause it's not boring and straightforward like the lectures I have attended, but we probably have a different perception of what empathy is.

I don't think I found points in his lectures where I disagree with him profoundly and I have bought his book "zebras don't get ulcers" but I haven't gotten to reading it yet. Interesting nonetheless. I'd suggest you watch his lectures from the first one as sometimes they compliment each other.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:53 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
OP: It makes sense someone from Buffalo would start this thread. Isn't it gloomy there with many overcast days? I'd imagine people in Buffalo suffer from what the professor talks about more than some other cities. I heard the same thing about Seattle.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:14 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
OP: It makes sense someone from Buffalo would start this thread. Isn't it gloomy there with many overcast days? I'd imagine people in Buffalo suffer from what the professor talks about more than some other cities. I heard the same thing about Seattle.
Yeah, it is gloomy (with slightly less sunshine hours per year than Seattle if I'm not mistaken), but I've yet to see convincing evidence that geographical incidence of depression is significantly (or at all) higher in gloomy places. I've in the past seen data (of perhaps dubious quality) which list Utah as the state with the highest rate of depression (I believe the basis for this determination was rate of antidepressant usage/prescription in the population), and that's more in curiousgeorge5's stated neck of the woods. NY State also had the lowest suicide rate of any state in the nation in some recent year, although probably not by a statistically significant margin. Seattle used to be notorious for suicides but I'm not sure how much that still holds (and also how much if its past reputation was based on perception/Kurt Cobain/etc rather than hard data).

Also, my posting of this does not necessarily imply that I am depressed, although I will admit that I deal with depression. I guess I mostly object to your geographically based stereotyping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology