Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Five second fantasies where I become someone else, like in a skit, for a few seconds. Letting my Glinda personality flow as I deal with other workers. Writing in my diaries, finding their pictures.

One thing I am about to do, though, is give up on the more or less interactive Net such as reducing my reading of FB; there are just too many people out there with their own agenda to publish. Turn away from the chat channels because there are still those out there who like to jerk people around and cheap.

Who needs that...especially in these times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Really there is very little difference for me. Restaurants are closed, but I do not eat out much. I do not normally use bars or health clubs. Our Kiwanis club has continued to meet. Work remains essentially the same except that we have no large meetings (which is better because nothing gets done in a large meeting). Back in April when we had to work from home, it was not too much different, just a bit nicer. I could go outside and chop wood whenever I took a break. Healthy and gets a chore done. The only real impact otherwise was that our annual family reunion was cancelled and we decided not to got to Texas for family thanksgiving or Christmas. There is not void. If anything I am a bit busier than normal.

Old 12-04-2020, 03:29 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
One thing I miss a lot is the freedom to go out and do creative things. I used to perform on stage in plays and do improv, and even write sketch comedy and I would meet the most amazing and interesting kind of people. I stopped for a few years to go to grad school and just last year, I was thinking of getting back into it because I miss it so much but the pandemic hit. I used to have these really fascinating dreams, some of them were like an art painting, most of them were weird, but I loved all of them. It was actually one of my favorite parts of being alive, to have a vivid imagination. Now my dreams are as dull as can be. Spending these last few years just worrying about work and money and trying to fit into the corporate world has really taken a toll on my dreams. I'm trying to find creative ways to fill this void and to get my dreams more interesting again. I've been watching a lot of movies, reading some books. I tried writing but I couldn't get into it because I also write for a living. I've never been into drawing, painting, or photography much. I do love cooking and I tried starting a cooking instagram but couldn't get into it. I don't want to dream about food anyway lol. Just wondering, how are you guys making up for what you used to do before the pandemic?
I feel a void also. More like an abyss. It's interesting that you mention dreams. I am also a creative person and I have also enjoyed and examined my dream life. Now, rather than pleasant and interesting, my dreams are disturbing. Sometimes they are nightmares.

A few long time friends and I have a zoom cocktail hour once a week on Fridays. It's fun, but not enough.

I have always been a writer, and I was published in my 20s and 30s, but I have never felt so dry and blocked as I have now. I have also found that where I was once a voracious reader, I feel distracted when I attempt to read anything longer than a magazine article. Losing my life long reader status is frightening. Books once opened other worlds for me. Now I feel so edgy and have a lack of focus.

I also watch a lot of movies. Probably almost every day. I miss reading and going to the library. I miss my whole life. I miss my tri-annual trips back to NY to visit friends. It's horrible really.

Since this isolation, I also missed my summer vacation - we always take a few short trips. I also miss travel to anywhere.

Since I live in a Four Season Climate, winters can be oppressive in normal times. This winter will be even worse.

I miss eating out, shopping - especially during this season, corporate Yoga classes, going to the gym. Really there is nothing left.

Mostly, I am currently dreading the Christmas holiday. My children are college graduates in their 20s and both live out of state. They will be unable to come home.

I've even thought of getting a third-degree online. Just for myself. It's something that would probably enhance my profession, but not something that I would probably do if not in this situation.
Money is not a problem - we have discussed it, and the tuition where I will be going is probably less than I'd normally spend in one year with travel, entertainment, visits to children and others, and just all of the normal things I do in the span of a year.

I am curious if anyone else has thought of doing that.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:52 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
I'm sorry. I've been experiencing the same thing as you, where the general monotony of life and reduced chances to interact with friends and meet new people have killed my motivation to do other things. Dopamine is key for motivation, and we've been deprived of this essential chemical for the better part of a year.

I've been in a COVID "bubble" consisting of me, my partner, his roommates, and two of our other friends who live alone. We've only been associating with each other, but the flip side is I've gotten to know them all a lot better. Watching anime and movies, cooking together, having philosophical discussions, going on trips --- weekend ones when we have time (Portland, Coeur d'Alene, the Olympic Peninsula), daytrips when someone's busy on one of the days (Olympia, Deception Pass).

Having things to look forward to is really helpful as well. So I've been planning out an extended trip to Estonia (and neighboring countries) --- looking into places to stay, learning some of the language, reading up on the history, picking out sites I might want to check out. Making progress on any of this stuff helps remind me that there will be an end to this isolation not too far off.

Finally, I'm looking into getting a happy light. I should've gotten one last winter, my first time experiencing this 4-month blanket of darkness and gloom in the PNW, but I think I especially need it now.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm sorry. I've been experiencing the same thing as you, where the general monotony of life and reduced chances to interact with friends and meet new people have killed my motivation to do other things. Dopamine is key for motivation, and we've been deprived of this essential chemical for the better part of a year.

I've been in a COVID "bubble" consisting of me, my partner, his roommates, and two of our other friends who live alone. We've only been associating with each other, but the flip side is I've gotten to know them all a lot better. Watching anime and movies, cooking together, having philosophical discussions, going on trips --- weekend ones when we have time (Portland, Coeur d'Alene, the Olympic Peninsula), daytrips when someone's busy on one of the days (Olympia, Deception Pass).

Having things to look forward to is really helpful as well. So I've been planning out an extended trip to Estonia (and neighboring countries) --- looking into places to stay, learning some of the language, reading up on the history, picking out sites I might want to check out. Making progress on any of this stuff helps remind me that there will be an end to this isolation not too far off.

Finally, I'm looking into getting a happy light. I should've gotten one last winter, my first time experiencing this 4-month blanket of darkness and gloom in the PNW, but I think I especially need it now.
You are right, "things to look forward to" are imperetive.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:43 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have always been a writer, and I was published in my 20s and 30s, but I have never felt so dry and blocked as I have now. I have also found that where I was once a voracious reader, I feel distracted when I attempt to read anything longer than a magazine article. Losing my life long reader status is frightening. Books once opened other worlds for me. Now I feel so edgy and have a lack of focus.

I've even thought of getting a third-degree online.

I'm in Michigan and feel very much the same way about the entire covid distancing. It's oppressive to us in the great frigid north, we already have 4 months of below freezing temperatures and day after day of gray.

As for being edgy about reading, I suggest you do something different to release some creative energy. Maybe try painting this winter, not your walls, but on canvas. Change your creative outlet since writing/reading isn't currently working for you. It may break that writer's block, or reader's block. You're definitely going to have to break any block if you're going to head back to university!

Old 12-05-2020, 08:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
A number of other things that I do....or don't do.

First, I don't watch TV all day. With everything canned, entirely closed circuit, I could but TV is reserved for the evening of one TV series episode and one movie. It is a nice escapism to look forward to, a nice closure of the day.

Another thing is that the computer is located in only one room of the house so it isn't with me everywhere.

Both these "functions", by design for other reasons, allow me to have living in another time, perhaps 1950s outback, perhaps the frontier in Breaker Morant, as a constant background theme in the house. Granted, I am constantly turning to the Net for someone to express my thoughts to other than my cats, but other than that....

Finally, while it is not yet a habit, when I am feeling slightly off key, I remember I have my porch to step out on, in any state of dress, and enjoy the forest which is mine.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Can you do some of those things online? I've seen some pretty creative people come up with ways to perform on YouTube, etc.

As to your question, a lot of my usual recreational activities work well in pandemic - hiking, birding, etc.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I'm in Michigan and feel very much the same way about the entire covid distancing. It's oppressive to us in the great frigid north, we already have 4 months of below freezing temperatures and day after day of gray.

As for being edgy about reading, I suggest you do something different to release some creative energy. Maybe try painting this winter, not your walls, but on canvas. Change your creative outlet since writing/reading isn't currently working for you. It may break that writer's block, or reader's block. You're definitely going to have to break any block if you're going to head back to university!
Plus 1 for your empathy and good suggestions. I bought paints and again I feel blocked. I took art classes as an elective when I was an undergraduate, like 1000 years ago. I am going to see if there is anything on Youtube that might help me get started.

Geographically, we are pretty much neighbors, so you know this is only the beginning of the Long Winter. At least historically, Christmas and New Years' gave me a boost, so January didn't suck entirely. To make things even more complicated, I suffer from SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder - and a trip to Florida is about as possible as having your family home for the Holidays.

I think if I like online learning, the best thing I will have to look forward to will be learning more deeply, about my field. Reading material in my field of interest is about the "easiest" thing for me.

This idea may seem extreme, but it gives me hope and a purpose that my life is sorely missing.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else thought of returning to college online?

Not interested in negativity. I can summon enough of that on my own.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've even thought of getting a third-degree online. Just for myself. It's something that would probably enhance my profession, but not something that I would probably do if not in this situation.
Money is not a problem - we have discussed it, and the tuition where I will be going is probably less than I'd normally spend in one year with travel, entertainment, visits to children and others, and just all of the normal things I do in the span of a year.

I've been reading scholarly articles and textbooks. The quiet is nice - I can concentrate & do math.

Today was opening day at Deer Valley. I skied a few hours basically to check out my equipment. Everyone is wearing a mask, so that part is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology