Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:19 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr55662 View Post
Of course, women can but not emerging / young adults who are much more prone to social pressure. She makes a wonderful point in the video that in the first semester they were given lectures on how to protect themselves physically but there were no lectures on how to protect themselves from emotional manipulation.
And would the lecture on how to “protect yourself emotionally” be to benefit to the women as well, or would this one be more beneficial to the men? r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 02:26 PM

28 posts, read 26,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
And would the lecture on how to “protect yourself emotionally” be to benefit to the women as well, or would this one be more beneficial to the men? r
Wouldn't know because my woman protects me emotionally . I guess that's emotional security which I guess not valued too much these days.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:28 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Of course, women can but not emerging / young adults who are much more prone to social pressure. She makes a wonderful point in the video that in the first semester they were given lectures on how to protect themselves physically but there were no lectures on how to protect themselves from emotional manipulation.
So, it's feminist to say that someone, in this case educational institution, should protect women from manipulation? Therefore, it's feminist to proclaim equality and special treatment at the same time?

Old 12-07-2020, 02:38 PM

28 posts, read 26,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
So, it's feminist to say that someone, in this case educational institution, should protect women from manipulation? Therefore, it's feminist to proclaim equality and special treatment at the same time?
Sorry, you lost me there. There is the prevailing practice in every educational institution to teach how to protect against physical coercion. Why is that ok and not anti-feminist?

Old 12-07-2020, 02:43 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Good lord. I understood this when I was 15 years old.

Don't care about "feminism" or any other ism. Empowering myself means making my own choices, exercising my own free will, AND fully understanding that I also own the consequences of my actions. While I can forgive myself youthful mistakes that led me to pain and suffering, I also have to own my responsibility enough to learn and grow from them.

But what I'm talking about, isn't gonna be what you would think, OP. I had plenty of casual sex. That was not a mistake. I don't point to any of those couplings with regret and I don't feel diminished even the tiniest bit by any of that. No, the mistake, was the ONE relationship that I did the way that...I don't know, you? Traditional society?...would deem "correct." The 18 year marriage, the man who fathered my kids. All of my trauma, suffering, and ongoing problems I still struggle with, have their roots in my connection to him.

Not a single one of my casual sexual encounters caused me that kind of trouble. Nope. It took a man who wanted to commit for life, to drag me through hell and back.

But...I let him. Because I was "trying to do the right thing." One day after another for half my life (as of the point where I left him.)

I don't see any reason at all for "hookups" to be seen as such a huge problem. At least, by definition, they end and you can move on. Even if your got your feelings hurt or something, a broken heart doesn't have to be a terminal condition. And those little dust-ups are a lot easier to brush off than a long relationship with someone who isn't good for you.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:19 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Sorry, you lost me there. There is the prevailing practice in every educational institution to teach how to protect against physical coercion. Why is that ok and not anti-feminist?
I think it's perfectly ok. But I also believe women are on average weaker and more fragile sex. And, if women are taking this class, they themselves must believe that. How does that square with feminists claiming they're equal to men when they're being taught actions to protect themselves from those said men?

Old 12-07-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I think it's perfectly ok. But I also believe women are on average weaker and more fragile sex. And, if women are taking this class, they themselves must believe that. How does that square with feminists claiming they're equal to men when they're being taught actions to protect themselves from those said men?
Everyone should take classes on how to protect themselves against anyone.

Women might be more often, on average, physically weaker, but men are more often the victims of violent crime at the hands of other men, than women are. Not a really bad idea for anyone to be responsible enough to learn how to protect themselves, to at least have some common sense and situational awareness.

Bad stuff can happen to anyone.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Thank you. That's exactly is the primary thesis of the video that women are not making these choices out of free will but are being coerced into it due to prevailing culture.
They don't have to participate in it, though. The speaker gives the impression, that the only social scene on campus revolves around the fraternities and alcohol. That simply isn't true. In fact, at some campuses, most students laugh at the Greek scene, as an anachronism from a long bygone era, that's prone to lawlessness. The people not interested in it organize their own parties along their own interests. Some of those alternative social scenes forego alcohol altogether. Since this goes against the prevailing stereotype, you never hear about it.

Women opt out of hookup culture, and so do some men. Some of those people manage to find each other, and hang out together in groups, from which some couples form, eventually.

I wonder what college she's at, doing her psych program.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Everyone should take classes on how to protect themselves against anyone.

Women might be more often, on average, physically weaker, but men are more often the victims of violent crime at the hands of other men, than women are. Not a really bad idea for anyone to be responsible enough to learn how to protect themselves, to at least have some common sense and situational awareness.

Bad stuff can happen to anyone.
I agree, but we're not simply talking about self-protection, but rather an institutionalized indoctrination.

I've got four degrees, never in any of those did someone come to my class to teach strategies to combat "emotional and physical manipulation " at the hands of women.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I agree, but we're not simply talking about self-protection, but rather an institutionalized indoctrination.

I've got four degrees, never in any of those did someone come to my class to teach strategies to combat "emotional and physical manipulation " at the hands of women.
Maybe they should.

I think that maybe in today's age where people are so freaking disconnected and staring at screens all the time, we need more education on "how to human"...how to form healthy connections, set healthy boundaries, recognize red flags... Wouldn't that be nice? I think so.

One reason I do not use the "feminism" label, and I don't like it, is that it means certain things to various people and there are a lot of different schools of thought even among people who do identify as such. Way beyond the "waves" of historical feminist movements. I will often talk about things I believe, and someone will say, "you're a feminist, you just don't know it!" Ehm...I'll pass on whatever club membership that is about, thanks. Because there are plenty of people who hear that word, and bring their own set of assumptions on what it's about. I'd rather just think what I think independently of the label.

And what I think, is that many of the things we've treated as gendered, it's been harmful that way, and they should be approached in a more gender...maybe gender inclusive, rather than gender neutral...kind of way. Men and women being taught to respect each other's consent and protect themselves from abuse, as well as how to treat other people.

Now looking at "hookups"? Well, it's always a roll of the sexual health dice and we all need to be responsible in mitigation of that risk. A woman who consents to sex in a casual context needs to understand that she isn't entitled to anything else because of it. She is getting what he is getting, a sexual experience. And if it's not a good one, well, that is also a risk she accepted and took. It's simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology