Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 06:27 PM

28 posts, read 26,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Maybe they should.

Now looking at "hookups"? Well, it's always a roll of the sexual health dice and we all need to be responsible in mitigation of that risk. A woman who consents to sex in a casual context needs to understand that she isn't entitled to anything else because of it. She is getting what he is getting, a sexual experience. And if it's not a good one, well, that is also a risk she accepted and took. It's simple.
Thanks, Sonic_Spork for sharing your wisdom. I totally agree with your assertion. Now the question remains that at 18 years of age do young women actually have the life experience and framework to objectively evaluate the risks of the endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 PM

20,389 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr55662 View Post
Thanks, Sonic_Spork for sharing your wisdom. I totally agree with your assertion. Now the question remains that at 18 years of age do young women actually have the life experience and framework to objectively evaluate the risks of the endeavor.
I felt that I did, even earlier than that. The one area I didn't really get, was that when getting mixed up with older guys, I could tell them six ways to Sunday that I didn't want to be serious, but they'd be pushing their way into my life and trying to make it permanent, and often wouldn't go away when I wanted them to.

I was fully able to manage my STI testing and prevention, knew the risks and felt able to take ownership of any consequences... Except for that. What to do when an attempt to break up with some guy has them threatening suicide, getting their Mom involved to guilt trip me, or later, basically holding our kids hostage.

I mean, when I hear y'all talk about risks of emotional manipulation in a casual, hookup context, I'm just (maybe wrongly) assuming you mean things like guys who string women along with promises of love and leave us crying and alone or whatever. That ain't nothing, to me, I learned I could get past that by what... 15, I'd say.

It's just as a sexually active teenager living in my mom's house, it wasn't hard to keep guys expectations of commitment in check. Later, though...

That's one reason I'm very against stereotypes about men just wanting easy sex and women always wanting commitment, because, though I said many times I didn't want it, these men really thought that they were being good and doing what was "right" for me and I just didn't know it. But like in some Hallmark movie, my heart would thaw and I'd learn to appreciate it, since after all... It's what all REAL women need and want, right? Twue wuv and happily ever after? It wouldn't have been a problem if we'd just had a few good times and then went our separate ways.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:54 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
In college in the '70s, the message I got through songs, pop literature, and conversation with peers was that we didn't need committed relationships any more, and only an old fashioned, uptight, frigid woman would hold out.
Love the one you're with!

As I matured, I realized that the message was really "women should want the same things as men," and I recognized that I wanted something else, AND that it was okay to be myself and ignore that message.

But maturity takes time, and being on your own in a new place, surrounded by other young people is the perfect environment to make mistakes you might regret later.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Watching the video and her comments about hookups being for the men's pleasure, I have to wonder how many orgasms she has a week. Repressive indoctrination has prevented young women from exploring their own pleasure. The women I know who have moved past that seem to have drama-free sex as often as they like.

Party traffic, like frat traffic or bar traffic, is its own social pathology. If you need drugs or alcohol to have a good time, you are indeed at risk, but that has nothing to do with feminism. The real social pressure comes from demographics. There are far more female undergraduates than male undergraduates. Women are ejected from high school where the numbers are nearly equal, and the expectation that their only suitable partners are other college students. Anyone who has gone to college knows a university is a ghetto separate from society as a whole.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:02 PM

With due respect Sonic_Spork my life experience is totally opposite of yours. I am living the Hallmark movie. I am not going to die wondering what it feels like to love and be loved unconditionally. I think the following article explains way better what I am trying to say.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-gratification

Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Watching the video and her comments about hookups being for the men's pleasure, I have to wonder how many orgasms she has a week. Repressive indoctrination has prevented young women from exploring their own pleasure. The women I know who have moved past that seem to have drama-free sex as often as they like.
Just like the message I got in the '70s, if a woman doesn't want what a man wants, she must be uptight and frigid.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr55662 View Post
If they were sexually active in high school, why wouldn't they? The same issues exist there.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:14 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Just like the message I got in the '70s, if a woman doesn't want what a man wants, she must be uptight and frigid.
What does what a man wants have to do with it?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If they were sexually active in high school, why wouldn't they? The same issues exist there.
Absolutely with the minor difference that they may have higher adult supervision and support and hence probably better decision making. The risk/reward picture is not symmetric between men and women. Women carry almost all the risk. Even though the unwanted pregnancy rate has come down it still highly concentrated in low-income women.

https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/def...es/462-502.png

1. In 2011, there were 98 pregnancies for every 1,000 women aged 15–44 in the United States.

2. In 2011, there were 45 unintended pregnancies for every 1,000 women aged 15–44 in the United States. In other words, nearly 5% of reproductive-age women have an unintended pregnancy each year.

3. The unintended pregnancy rate is significantly higher in the United States than in many other developed countries.

4. In 2011, nearly half (45%, or 2.8 million) of the 6.1 million pregnancies in the United States were unintended. Specifically, 27% of all pregnancies were “wanted later” and 18% of pregnancies were “unwanted.”2

Old 12-08-2020, 11:14 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Meaty subject, no pun intended.

She is going to have so much data to sort through.

I like where she's going with the study and I think it's important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology