Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:03 PM

10,035 posts, read 17,981,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
There’s a very logical place to put a dishwasher. And everybody puts their dishwasher there. Trouble is that isn’t where they put the dishes. ...
This is why I made SURE when I remodeled my kitchen (started late 2018, mostly finished 2019, still has a few minor things left ) that my dishwasher was in the best place it could be. AND I made sure that most dishes would go in the cabinet right above the dishwasher, and the glasses would go in the cabinet that's basically just to the right of the dishwasher. So emptying the dishwasher takes maybe 2-3 minutes tops. (I swear I haven't timed it ...)

And OP, that is kind of my point. I too have chores that I loathe, like scooping my beloved cats' not-so-beloved waste, but I actually DID time it at one point and it was literally less than 1 minute per litter box. Once I realized that, it became easier to just DO it because I knew each box would be done in <1 minute.

Sometimes I think that we hate certain chores so much that it makes us VASTLY overestimate the time it takes to DO such chores. So actually timing them can work. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 07:05 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,747,986 times
I don’t mind emptying the dishwasher or putting laundry away but for some stupid reason I despise transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer and let things go sour more than once. I solved that by getting rid of the dryer and hanging my clothes on a clothesline or drying rack, and believe it or not I really enjoy that task. It’s my zen moments and I love the smell of my clothes when I bring them in.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:01 PM

11,236 posts, read 19,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I feel the same way, with the addition of putting away groceries. And like you, I don't mind doing the laundry, and I actually find washing dishes and grocery shopping to be relaxing. Just not putting things away.

I think it's because putting things away is like a "Part 2" of a chore your brain thinks you've done already!

You need to train your brain into thinking of the putting away part as a separate and distinct chore, not an extension of one that you've already done. When I make my "to-do" list, I list "laundry" and "put away laundry" as two separate chores, so each one gives me satisfaction when I get to cross it off the list!

Oh yeah I forgot that one! Putting away the groceries too! Though since I moved into my new house, somehow that one is not as annoying. In my apartment, oh how I loathed putting away the groceries. I think because I don't put groceries in the cupboard any more. I just have an open 3 tier shelving unit where all the cans and jars and boxed goods go.

Thanks to everyone else who shared that they have this thing too. It's comforting to know I'm not alone and some of the posts really have me laughing.

I did wonder if it had something to do with my childhood chores, but I had to do all those other chores too as a kid, and it's only these, so it's got to be some weight psychological thing about putting things away in cupboards and drawers. But knowing I'm not the only one helps a lot.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:04 PM

11,236 posts, read 19,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I despise brushing my teeth and cleaning my house. I have to force myself to do it. Been like that forever.

The Teeth Brushing is BRUTAL. 3 times a day. I feel like I live in the bathroom.

I feel that way about flossing.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:44 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,223,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I don't like to listen to music in the house. The only time I like music is when I'm driving. I do usually have a dvd on in the background when I am doing these kind of chores at night. I have a few complete sets, Friends, Mary Tyler More, stuff like that, that I cycle through,to distract me.

I just find it so odd, that it's just these two things, and I've been like that my whole life.
I also hate emptying the dishwasher UNLESS it's first thing in the morning when I wake up. It's part of my morning routine. I feed the pets, put the water on for my tea and then empty the DW. I hate putting clothes away because of all the back and forth with the drawers and such. If I fold them on my bed and put them in piles depending on which drawer they go in, it's not as bad. I hate taking them out of the dryer because I have a crummy dryer and the minute it shuts off I have to bolt to it to get the clothes out.

I think dusting is my least favorite household task because two days later the dust is back.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:33 AM

3,577 posts, read 1,556,822 times
I hate making the bed.

I look forward to the day you can buy a robot to do these tasks.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:03 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,309,885 times
Weird. I HATE cleaning. Putting things away though soothes me. It’s the easy part. If it wasn’t the pandemic I’d tell you to pay a neighborhood kid to do those chores. But my advice is to make it rewarding. Find a podcast you like to listen to or put out a plate of cookies to munch on while you work. Watch a show after or read a book. Whatever you enjoy you should do while you are doing these chores and after.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:19 AM

4,130 posts, read 2,431,730 times
I don't like putting away dishes or clothes, seems silly since I use the same ones over and over again. Almost the same thing with my home office, I use to let the papers pile high. Then I realized I was spending more time thinking about putting them away than it took, so my rule of thumb now is if I think about doing something three times, I do it, otherwise I would be spending more time thinking about doing it than it really takes.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:52 AM

6,761 posts, read 4,748,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
All my life. I hate to put the clean dishes away, and I hate to put the clean laundry away. What IS that? I've always been like this. It was kind of a family joke even, when I was a kid, when it was my week to do the dishes (whether it was washing by hand or when we had a dishwasher, I HATED unloading the dishwasher) or my week to do the laundry. Now I'm 60 years old and I STILL hate to empty the dish drainer (I don't have a dishwasher) or take the clothes off the drying racks (I don't have a clothes dryer), fold them and put them away in the drawers.

I don't mind doing laundry. I don't mind washing dishes. I don't mind cooking or cleaning or picking up the cats' toys and putting them away. I never leave dirty clothes lying around, they always get put in the basket. My shoes are taken off and put where my shoes go, my coat is hung up where my coats go, hats and mittens are put where they go.

Papers are filed. Books are put back in the bookcase. DVDs and cds are put back into their proper cases and put back in order on the shelf.

But the dishes sit in the drainer until I am about to wash dishes again, and then I grumble and moan because I can't wash the dishes until I put the clean ones away. Laundry hangs on the drying racks until I do a wash, and need to clear space for the new wash. I'll take the clothes and fold them and want to just set them somewhere, I have to force myself to put them away, right then and I am always grumbling and moaning to myself as I do it.

I can't figure out what that is all about. It doesn't seem, at this late date, that I will ever change. But I wish I could get over it. It's annoying, all that negative energy.
THE DISHWASHER! You made me laugh. I thought maybe you were a long lost relative! I have always claimed it was genetic. My Mother hated it and I hate it. The gene seemed to bypass my sisters.

I was so surprised by this thread. I didn't realize how many people were put off at having to put the dishes away. It's a quick and easy task - but aaaggghh!

Folding and putting away laundry takes longer but I don't mind it.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,244,439 times
Things that need doing - I can't say I hate them but some take more effort than others to stay on top of.

I always feel better when it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology