Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 02:29 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times

Advertisements

Since early November, I have made a quite-deliberate effort to watch no news. Zip, zero: no network TV, no YouTube by pundits on (any) side of a national issue or the plague. I was becoming too wound up, too militant around issues of the day, and plague news...we all know about that. Then I realized that though the issues do matter, to this nation and our collective future, becoming wound up and stressed out solved nothing.

I had a couple professional colleagues become noticeably irate around that time, one erupting in curses which I believe was a response to events...we got through that, I gently chided her in a supportive way that perhaps we could take that offline . Only one, a very wise person, remarked to me in a meeting that she "....had no time for the distraction." As a team we were very busy indeed Nov-Dec. She nailed it. I think I did, too, by partially unplugging at that time. It's a new year, will keep all that out of mind best I can.

Since, I focus on books (again), reasonably calm forums like C-D, certain subject-specific groups on (social media), and new to me since mid-year 2020: vastly improving personal fitness, nutrition, and weight loss. On weekends I have resumed hiking, as the PacNW is a wonderful place for this year-round with sufficient gumption and preparation. I see snowshoeing in my imminent future.

Curious if anyone else has decided to cut way back on news consumption, thus removing a lot of the unnecessary distraction from their lives in this time of crisis and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 03:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
Yes, took a break over Christmas and didn’t watch news. It was becoming too stressful and was spoiling the holiday spirit. Watching It’s A Wonderful Life, was more fun than constant updates on the fate of the country. Of course that’s important, but none of us are in a position to do much about the way things are going to fall. At the end of the day, everyone has a life that has nothing to do with national issues or politics.

Speaking of hiking, I got trekking poles and am anxious to try them out. Health and hobbies are better than TV, too much current events can be consuming and stressful. The New Year is a fresh start for everyone, and Washington DC isn’t responsible for your happiness. If a favorite movie comes on, it’s ok to tune in and miss a news segment.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:26 PM

438 posts, read 269,375 times
Absolutely! I quit watching the news a couple years ago, and it really has made a difference in my contentment with life. I'm old enough to remember when journalism meant presenting an informative news story that was fact-checked and as impartial as possible. No such thing anymore, so if I want hysterical drama, I can watch the daytime soaps. Sure, I can't help but hear little snippets of the crisis du jour, but only turn on the TV for the weather forecast. I highly recommend it!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:57 AM

433 posts, read 532,068 times
CC--Agree 100%. I got rid of the cable a couple of years ago and OTA doesn't work here. Use the tv to play DVDs from the Library (occasionally.) I DO use the computer quite a bit, however. Generally, I go to the foreign broadcast channels on YouTube--Deutsche Welle, BBC, and some foreign language channels. I don't even have to go to the tv for weather. Accuweather does fine coupled with my barometer and a glance outside.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:14 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
When my mother in law retired, we used to visit her home in Scottsdale and I observed that she rarely watched any TV; instead, she played classical music from the local FM station all the time.

She did not get the paper and she ignored the world. At first I thought it was peculiar but she did seem so relaxed.

I think her goal was to relax and to enjoy her retirement. She realized that getting all riled up about things over which she has no control just creates stress.

As for me, I cancelled cable TV 10 years ago. I've never missed it.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:35 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When my mother in law retired, we used to visit her home in Scottsdale and I observed that she rarely watched any TV; instead, she played classical music from the local FM station all the time.

She did not get the paper and she ignored the world. At first I thought it was peculiar but she did seem so relaxed.

I think her goal was to relax and to enjoy her retirement. She realized that getting all riled up about things over which she has no control just creates stress.

As for me, I cancelled cable TV 10 years ago. I've never missed it.
Life seems a lot calmer. There seems to have been a ruckus recently, I can't quite avoid it but it sounds "important..."

...to someone. I wouldn't know, and truly don't care.

Pass. Just doing my work (career), and focussing on the hard tasks the personal trainer has me doing. Feeling rather monk-like and I like it. Lots.

Thanks for replies thus far.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:45 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
I quit about a year and a half ago and started to listen to true crime podcasts. They were less distressing. Heh.

Now the true crime podcasts are beginning to sound partisan and I'm searching for new interests for my listening hours. I enjoy a lot of the TED Talks.

The world seems to run about the same whether I pay attention or not. When I need news to make decisions I dip my toes in to check some opposing viewpoints and steal away again.

Between noticing my frequent sense of dissatisfaction and the tension in some of my acquaintance's lives it seemed like it was time to do something about my daily need to check.

It's made a very obvious difference in my attitude and my health. I don't miss feeling driven to rant by noon every day.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,335,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I quit about a year and a half ago and started to listen to true crime podcasts. They were less distressing. Heh.

Now the true crime podcasts are beginning to sound partisan and I'm searching for new interests for my listening hours. I enjoy a lot of the TED Talks.

The world seems to run about the same whether I pay attention or not. When I need news to make decisions I dip my toes in to check some opposing viewpoints and steal away again.

Between noticing my frequent sense of dissatisfaction and the tension in some of my acquaintance's lives it seemed like it was time to do something about my daily need to check.

It's made a very obvious difference in my attitude and my health. I don't miss feeling driven to rant by noon every day.
I really enjoy The Moth podcasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology