Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM

439 posts, read 289,794 times

Advertisements

Lots of "widely known facts" out there that are completely wrong.

Such as:

1. Peeing on a jellyfish' sting stops the stinging; which can actually make it worse,

2. After eating, don't swim until 30 minutes after, which makes no difference at all.

3. Don't go outside with wet hair you'll catch a cold.

4. humans swallow 8-10 spiders a year while sleeping.

5. You must wait 24 hours before filing a missing persons case.

6. The five second rule wherein if you drop something on the floor if you pick it up within 5 seconds it's okay, despite it has just as much germs regardless.

7. If you swallow gum it takes 7 years to digest.

Why are such obviously wrong and stupid things considered so mainstream?

Moderator note: Tread lightly, people. I've cleaned this thread up and deleted numerous political and off-topic comments. DO NOT bring politics into this discussion. Save it for the Politics forum. Thank you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 11:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Looking into a broken mirror brings 7 years of bad luck.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:57 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Because we tend to believe what is repeated most often. That's something to keep in mind for more important issues than the ones you listed.

And it sort of makes sense. We don't have the time and resources to investigate and verify everything. We have to make some shortcuts or assumptions. Otherwise, we'd never get anything done. Unfortunately, this tendency is well understood and used by elites to manipulate us.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:30 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Bigfoot. How does anyone believe THAT? Yet, one of my closest friends does and many others as well. There's tv shows on it and recently saw that someone in Oklahoma wants to have a Bigfoot hunting season.

I just have to put it down to there's something in the human biology that allows one to believe in magical, fantastical things and leave it at that.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:13 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Lots of "widely known facts" out there that are completely wrong.

Such as:

1. Peeing on a jellyfish' sting stops the stinging; which can actually make it worse,

2. After eating, don't swim until 30 minutes after, which makes no difference at all.

3. Don't go outside with wet hair you'll catch a cold.

4. humans swallow 8-10 spiders a year while sleeping.

5. You must wait 24 hours before filing a missing persons case.

6. The five second rule wherein if you drop something on the floor if you pick it up within 5 seconds it's okay, despite it has just as much germs regardless.

7. If you swallow gum it takes 7 years to digest.

Why are such obviously wrong and stupid things considered so mainstream?

Sometimes there is a seed of truth in the sayings or had some logic at one time do to limited circumstances/technology. Sometimes people are too lazy to look it up, or just don’t see the need to disbelieve since the likelihood of being stung by a jellyfish is zero.

Like many I thought if someone got bitten by a rattler then trying to evacuate the venom, sucking it out, would help. After to moving to a place with rattle snakes and learning what to do and not do that old adage is a no no. https://www.webmd.com/women/news/200...ck-snakebite#1

For example not swimming for 30 mins after eating makes sense if you want to avoid possible stomach cramps. However it’s not going to be life threatening or make much difference otherwise.
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...-after-eating/

Swallowing gum is a folkloric warning and makes sense only if a person has a habit of swallowing large amounts of gum that can lead to a blockage
https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...take-to-digest

Old 01-24-2021, 07:50 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I couldn't care less about don't go outside with your hair wet or swallowing gum

Do we need anything more than recent reminder that we have a lot bigger issues when it comes to people being duped into believing lies as truth or "facts."

We have half the country believing Mod cut. that's not true. And we see the consequences of that.
THAT is what could affect my life -- literally my LIFE.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2021 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language; circumventing the filter.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:04 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Simply said - some people easily accept/believe in some statements, because they aren't smart or curious enough to question them or verify. They follow the herd. If others say something is true, then it must be true.
Their judgement and opinion-forming is based on herd behavior.
Probably lack of curiosity, logic, common sense, education or prospects of personal gain makes them choose and follow the "anti science" herd.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

We have half the country believing [bleep] that's not true. And we see the consequences of that.
THAT is what could affect my life -- literally my LIFE.
The individualism-obsessed culture seen today encourages people to only think of themselves when it comes to decisions and not to worry about how it might involve someone else. But regardless of the degree, we are always affected by the choices of others. It's a self-centeredness through ignorance.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 08:27 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Simply said - some people easily accept/believe in some statements, because they aren't smart or curious enough to question them or verify. They follow the herd. If others say something is true, then it must be true.
Their judgement and opinion-forming is based on herd behavior.
Probably lack of curiosity, logic, common sense, education or prospects of personal gain makes them choose and follow the "anti science" herd.
It's funny, because many people say a liberal arts education is "worthless", but one thing I learned throughout my education (culminating in an MA) is how to research: evaluate and verify source material and look for legitimate information. Outside of academics, being able to suss out legitimate journalism from a blog or looking for the biases in a text is invaluable, and something that many people don't or can't do.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:11 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Do most people actually believe most of those things? I thought they were all commonly known to be old wives' tales that parents tell their kids, and the kids figure out are BS upon growing up, if not well before... I mean, some of them I see used as jokes (for example: I've never seen anyone who actually thinks the "five second rule" is true; it's just what they laughingly say because they just dropped something but still want to eat it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's funny, because many people say a liberal arts education is "worthless", but one thing I learned throughout my education (culminating in an MA) is how to research: evaluate and verify source material and look for legitimate information. Outside of academics, being able to suss out legitimate journalism from a blog or looking for the biases in a text is invaluable, and something that many people don't or can't do.
Mod cut.

As far as evaluating information and critical thinking... I had a class like that in college, but I don't think such a class was probably exclusive to liberal arts schools.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2021 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology