Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 12:15 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,458,844 times

Advertisements

Therapist would be best for this type of concern. It could be myriad of things from physiological to psychological.

Depending on your level of curiosity and ability to wade through academic writing / research, you may want to search for studies on the topic in Journal of Sex Research.

https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/hjsr20

A search for "Asexuality" had 210 articles
Here's sample, as familiarizing yourself may help before you get to therapist.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...9.2015.1015713
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 12:16 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintingaplant View Post
Is it possible that I feel so repressed because I never really accepted myself and am just lacking experience or could it be that something happened to me but I numbed the memories? I don't remember when did I learn about about concept of rape, but I always felt really weird about it. Or do I just have messed up attachment styles?

I remember having a pretty happy childhood in a way. I had some confidence, was curious and talkative, maybe a bit scared of new people in the late childhood, but still... I started shutting myself in at around 10 when I got glasses and felt ugly and some classmates mocked me, but nothing too intense. I guess I "needed" someone to tell me I'm still okay. I started became more quiet and boring and not interested in make-up and clothes like my girl friends and many of them stopped hanging out with me. I was pretty lonely in my early teens.

I did have a single mother but would see my dad regulary and they were "together" untill my early teens. I didn't think my family was any different until a school teacher said it was.

I also started feeling ashamed towards my body becoming more mature. I did have a really unpleasant experience when one guy grabbed my butt at the pool when I was around 12 and I looked at him angirly and he just repeated it and I just quietly wished for him to stop, I was too ashamed to do anything and felt so stupid. Later I was too ashmed to tell anyone about it. As much as it was unpleasant, it happened after I was already feeling ashamed so I can't say that this was an experience where everything started. I just felt shame and helplessness.

I became more okay with myself in the recent years (I'm in my early twenties), but I still could never bring myself to be sexual with someone, I always shut down and couldn't really talk about it with the guys I was dating... Or anyone really, nobody understood how could I feel disgusted by a guy I actually liked a lot.

I don't know what I even want to say, I'm just so confused and still waiting for my therapy to start and have so much work to do, I feel so broken but there's jsut nothing to really grab onto... I was just scared and pathetic and not like other girls who were eventually more relaxed and couldn't wait to show off, I just wanted to be invisible and simultaneously have someone to "save me" and tell me I'm okay. Now I feel I'm too broken and too unexperienced to save myself
As an aroace, an aromantic asexual, you sound like you're a romantic asexual. I'm also sex-repulsed and I wasn't abused as a child and was never shamed about it either. The thought of it disgusted me, especially when you read about all the diseases out there, and you sound like me.

There's nothing wrong with you. You're valid just the way you are. I didn't find out until I was in my early 20's and there were a lot of growing pains, which are normal.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Hm I definitely thought about it but it never really made sense, I can't really identify with it (or refuse to). I definitely do feel sexual attraction, but the closer the relationship gets, the more I want to flee. After I'm "safe" and alone again the attraction is back. This probably sounds a lot like anxious-avoidant attachment style if I remember correctly
You could be demi-sexual instead. Demis are only sexually attracted to people they form an emotional bond with. You could also be demi-romantic, which at times I think I am. Only develop a romantic connection to people you form an emotional bond with.

Still, nothing wrong with you and you are valid.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:23 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This is the first thing that crossed my mind also.

OP: Have you ever brought yourself to orgasm?
Have you ever tried?
Do you even WANT to try?

Sexual response is not about roses and candlelit dinners!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not unless they are LOBSTER dinners.
Clearly a (rare) exception... especially when accompanied by enough champagne!

Old 01-31-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Clearly a (rare) exception... especially when accompanied by enough champagne!
Or wine! Ohh, a Shirley Temple too! If someone treated me to a nice dinner and a Shirley Temple, I might change my romantic stance. Not the sexual one, as I'm not into it and it would be painful, but I'd change the romantic stance.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 6,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
You could be demi-sexual instead. Demis are only sexually attracted to people they form an emotional bond with. You could also be demi-romantic, which at times I think I am. Only develop a romantic connection to people you form an emotional bond with.

Still, nothing wrong with you and you are valid.
Thank you for yoir inputs! I feel a bit more normal now, maybe it's also being exposed into this fast-dating and speed-relationships culture I can't seem to fit in. I did try to in the past but it only made me and the guys that jad different expectations confused (and they were normal in most cases, just not compatible with me in that regard).

I was feeling a lot of shame towards my body in my early teens because people (family, teachers, random family friends, classmates) would point out the fact that I have boobs for example. Maybe some other girls wouls find that flattering but during that time I'd do anything to have a flat body, which actually played a big part of me losing so much weight that I had to be hospitalized at some point, but yeah I also thought I was fat so i don't know, I'm glad it's mostly over.

I do think I'm demi-sexual/romantic from what you've wrote since I can't imagine being sexual with just anyone I find hot. I think it's okay and has its own pluses. Injist want to overcome this freezing reactions but maybe I never really let anyone close (except for friendships)

Old 01-31-2021, 08:49 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Is it possible that I feel so repressed because I never really accepted myself and am just lacking experience or could it be that something happened to me but I numbed the memories? I don't remember when did I learn about about concept of rape, but I always felt really weird about it. Or do I just have messed up attachment styles?

I remember having a pretty happy childhood in a way. I had some confidence, was curious and talkative, maybe a bit scared of new people in the late childhood, but still... I started shutting myself in at around 10 when I got glasses and felt ugly and some classmates mocked me, but nothing too intense. I guess I "needed" someone to tell me I'm still okay. I started became more quiet and boring and not interested in make-up and clothes like my girl friends and many of them stopped hanging out with me. I was pretty lonely in my early teens.

I did have a single mother but would see my dad regulary and they were "together" untill my early teens. I didn't think my family was any different until a school teacher said it was.

I also started feeling ashamed towards my body becoming more mature. I did have a really unpleasant experience when one guy grabbed my butt at the pool when I was around 12 and I looked at him angirly and he just repeated it and I just quietly wished for him to stop, I was too ashamed to do anything and felt so stupid. Later I was too ashmed to tell anyone about it. As much as it was unpleasant, it happened after I was already feeling ashamed so I can't say that this was an experience where everything started. I just felt shame and helplessness.

I became more okay with myself in the recent years (I'm in my early twenties), but I still could never bring myself to be sexual with someone, I always shut down and couldn't really talk about it with the guys I was dating... Or anyone really, nobody understood how could I feel disgusted by a guy I actually liked a lot.

I don't know what I even want to say, I'm just so confused and still waiting for my therapy to start and have so much work to do, I feel so broken but there's jsut nothing to really grab onto... I was just scared and pathetic and not like other girls who were eventually more relaxed and couldn't wait to show off, I just wanted to be invisible and simultaneously have someone to "save me" and tell me I'm okay. Now I feel I'm too broken and too unexperienced to save myself
Go to your mirror.

Say out loud: I AM NOT PATHETIC. I AM WORTHY. Everyday, when you get up.

Everyday.

Are we clear on this?

Old 02-01-2021, 10:14 AM

6,345 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Of course i did and no I don't think I'm asexual. For sure I'm not the most sexual person in the world but still
There's a spectrum.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...ual-attraction
Quote:
someone who is demisexual — which some say falls under the asexual umbrella — experiences sexual attraction only when they have a deep connection to a person.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:36 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Not every girl wants to be sexual as soon as she is of age. It might take you longer to warm up. You just might be someone who does not like to be touched. There is nothing wrong with you. But let go a little bit and open yourself to new experiences.

When you see a guy across the room that lights your loins up like a fire brand and is irresistible to you, all that caution will melt away. It does happen.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
You sound a lot like me, when I was young. I developed before most of my peers, and it was weird and awkward to me. I was a kid, and I got attention I didn't want or know what to do with.

I used to joke, when I got older, that I WISHED I had understood THEN, the power my boobs had over boys. LOL And yes, boys would try and take the opportunity to touch them, or make comments about them, etc. BUT I had brothers and sisters, and had fairly strong boundaries regarded unwanted touching. Well...with kids our age anyway. But I WAS molested as a child by our adult neighbor...and yeah...it contributed to some of my issues.

Plus...I'm wondering if you never really had a good example to look to, to pattern yourself after. Did you ever see your parents be affectionate toward each other? Our parents can often set the stage, so to speak, on what normal is. And if you have a mom who never hugged you, you never got to experience the non-sexual, but still feels nice to be hugged, kind of hug. Did your dad ever hug you? Give you a kiss on the cheek, playfully toss your hair, have pet nicknames...just general loving mannerisms? If you never had that...it might be hard to accept physical gestures from guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology