Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2021, 06:06 PM

472 posts, read 347,676 times

Advertisements

Do you all believe that alcoholism is genetic or not. On both sides of my family, there is a lot of it. I have heard others talk it being genetic. Others will say it's a choice. And some say it's both. Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 06:07 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I would bet that there’s some of both, and that it isn’t the same mix of either factor for any two people.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:08 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Yep, genetic. But like hair color or intelligence it is not passed down evenly. And even if you have the genetic tendency you can still make a choice for it to not get out of control.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:58 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Genetics come to play in several ways particularly early in a person's drinking career. Genetics may determine your affinity for alcohol. If you get feelings of euphoria after you drink early in your drinking career you are more likely to become an alcoholic. Non alcoholics generally don't describe feeling those fantastic effects of alcohol when they drink and are more likely to be affected by the negative aspects of heavy drinking (hangovers etc).

A second way genetics may play a part are if you have a normal state of anxiety, depression or some other neurosis that is relieved by the effects of alcohol. This type of genetics is usually the underlying pathology of anyone with "addictive personality".

A third thing that genetics may play a role in is how quickly you become physically addicted to alcohol.

In reality you are officially an "alcoholic" when you reach this state (physical addiction) no matter what or why you drink. Even a normal person not predisposed to alcoholism could become an alcoholic if they forced themselves to drink enough. But that person wouldn't do it because it would make no sense to them.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-07-2021 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 07:13 PM

472 posts, read 347,676 times
Good answers! I agree so much that genetics come to play. Good point too how alcoholics enjoy the effects much more than non alcoholics.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Good point too how alcoholics enjoy the effects much more than non alcoholics.
I would quibble with that a bit. I enjoy drinking but am not an alcoholic. I enjoy some cocaine and MJ very occasionally. The people that I know that are addicted to these do not enjoy them because it only gets them to a "normal" state. They are not in it for the high like I am. Now that is only based on my experience with about 10 people over a few decades. YMMV

Old 02-07-2021, 09:39 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I would quibble with that a bit. I enjoy drinking but am not an alcoholic. I enjoy some cocaine and MJ very occasionally. The people that I know that are addicted to these do not enjoy them because it only gets them to a "normal" state. They are not in it for the high like I am. Now that is only based on my experience with about 10 people over a few decades. YMMV
This observation is an interesting one in that is exactly what happens to alcoholics over time (as well as other drug users). The euphoria that they feel early in their drinking career slowly diminishes (and requires more drug to achieve). At the same time, baseline emotions slowly diminish below a baseline of well being. After several decades people are drinking to feel normal because their condition when not drinking is shear emotional torture. Anxiety, depression and restlessness that can only by relieved by ingesting more alcohol.

You go from feeling normal and drinking to be really happy to being a shaking, nervous wreck who drinks to feel normal all in one lifetime. I jumped off the train when I finally realized where it was headed. I have 16.5 years of abstinence and avoided the completely miserable part of the ride.

It's always a wonder when I meet someone like you that can drink and use substances in a "take it or leave it" manner. I've met guys who drink 2 or 3 beers every day/or one or two drinks...and they just stop. I just marvel at those guys.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:33 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Genetic.

Mix in a good dose of mental illness to boot.

Usually Alcoholics are bi polar .

Lets just put it this way.....any admitted alcoholic can have the original traced thru genetics. The ones who can't admit it or proclaim they are "functioning alcoholics", will remain in their denial since no one in their family had it.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:12 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Do you all believe that alcoholism is genetic or not. On both sides of my family, there is a lot of it. I have heard others talk it being genetic. Others will say it's a choice. And some say it's both. Any thoughts?

Addiction is handed down from the previous generations when they are rearing children in a dysfunctional environment It seriously disables children because they do not learn self-soothing skills and healthy coping mechanisms from their role models.

It is like a meme that keeps on giving. Until some one in the family breaks the cycle it will continue it's momentum.

12 step programs work by helping rewire brains to jump the old track and head down another healthy one.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I am a fairly heavy drinker (beer 95% of the time, a bit of wine here and there). I don’t consider myself an alcoholic, but some might.

There are lots of alcoholics throughout my grandparents and on back. Paternal grandfather had over a dozen DUIs and numerous felonies. He sobered up at 75 back in 2010 after a heart attack. He’s 85 now and hasn’t had a drink since.

Both grandmothers had several alcoholic brothers. I wasn’t close to those great uncles growing up, but it was obviously there.

It skipped my parents’ generation. I don’t think any of my cousins are heavy drinkers.

I got into drinking as craft beer became widely available. I’ve reviewed hundreds of beers, and probably been to hundreds of breweries all over the country over the years. Sure, I overdo sometimes, but I’ve met tons of cool people and done tons of cool things because of the craft beer scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology