Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:33 AM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times

Advertisements

Because they're either backwards and/or they're bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 11:04 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Bisexuality seems to be stigmatized to an extent but it's even more so with men. Many people think guys who identify as bisexual are 'just in the closet' and won't admit it.

I've always found it odd that people think this way. If anything, I would find the idea of monosexuality (being straight or gay) to be more implausible than bisexuality. Sex with a man and woman isn't that much different mechanically speaking.

Perhaps it's because bisexual men who are struggling to get dates/sex might go for other men more than women, purely because it's 10x easier for a man to date another man than a woman thereby giving a false impression that he's really just gay.
LOL!!! That is honestly pretty hilarious.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Bisexuality seems to be stigmatized to an extent but it's even more so with men. Many people think guys who identify as bisexual are 'just in the closet' and won't admit it.

I've always found it odd that people think this way. If anything, I would find the idea of monosexuality (being straight or gay) to be more implausible than bisexuality. Sex with a man and woman isn't that much different mechanically speaking.

Perhaps it's because bisexual men who are struggling to get dates/sex might go for other men more than women, purely because it's 10x easier for a man to date another man than a woman thereby giving a false impression that he's really just gay.

I'll answer this question from a more global perspective. I've done enough international traveling to gain some insight into this topic. I was lucky enough to visit Rio De Janeiro in my late 30s on three different trips. Each time I'd go for a few weeks and just hang out on Ipanema and Copacabana.

Although I'm a hetero male, I learned a lot from the Brazilians. Back then, as a 6'4" blonde Scandinavian, I garnered quite a bit more attention from both sexes as I do now in my late 50s LOL. In Rio, I'd be approached by both men and women. My point is not about me, it's how free and open the Brazilians are with their sexuality. They have a term which basically translates to "have you had an orgasm today"?

Whether you are hetero, gay, bi....whatever, society in Brazil is far more accepting. They realize sex is a normal part of life and they embrace it and enjoy it.

Now compare and contrast this to America. Again, having been to different countries, I am under the firm belief that our fair country still to this day is EXTREMELY uptight and Victorian when it comes to sex. No doubt we were a spin off from England and perhaps this is where we inherited our sexual uptightness. But it's bad....always has been, always will be. It's rather suffocating.

So what I'm trying to say to you is you should never be judged for your sexual preferences, whatever those may be. It's not natural. You should NEVER have to pose that question in the first place. Guarantee, you'd never have to ask it in Brazil

Last edited by pete98146; 02-12-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 02:26 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
As bizarre as it might sound, I believe feminism has a lot to do with the overall non-acceptance of male bisexuality. Especially American feminism!

Feminism allowed for the open expression of female bisexuality, which men were supposed to be seduced by. I've heard openly bisexual women say that if they ever caught their husbands/boyfriends with another man, "it would be over".

So, men are more inclined to hide their bisexuality and repress it, not just for the sake of preserving their masculinity in the face of other men, but also women.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:36 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I have no idea what you are even suggesting, OP. As a heterosexual male, I find the notion of male bisexuality repulsive, simple as that. My heterosexual friends share my sentiments. I don't doubt that some men are genuinely bisexual, but I regard it as simply a subspecies of homosexuality.
That's just you projecting your feelings of "repulse" onto them.

A non-reaction to the idea of male bisexuality shows that it isn't a concern and something you're interested in. To say you find it "repulsive" reveals something more about you, however.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:11 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
That's just you projecting your feelings of "repulse" onto them.

A non-reaction to the idea of male bisexuality shows that it isn't a concern and something you're interested in. To say you find it "repulsive" reveals something more about you, however.
Isn't that the "Q" in LBGTQ ? I mean otherwise he would just think bisexuality is a subset of heterosexuality.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:23 PM

299 posts, read 224,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
As bizarre as it might sound, I believe feminism has a lot to do with the overall non-acceptance of male bisexuality. Especially American feminism!

Feminism allowed for the open expression of female bisexuality, which men were supposed to be seduced by. I've heard openly bisexual women say that if they ever caught their husbands/boyfriends with another man, "it would be over".

So, men are more inclined to hide their bisexuality and repress it, not just for the sake of preserving their masculinity in the face of other men, but also women.
That has nothing to do with being bisexual. This is part of the problem; being bisexual doesn't mean automatically wanting a open or non-monogamous relationship. Of course a woman is going to be upset if her partner of any gender cheats on her!

Again these are stereotypes and stigmas placed on bisexual individuals of both sexes. It's not some sexual free for all 24/7. We simply find ourselves able to engage with both sexes intimately versus others find they're selective to only one.

No, feminist didn't ruin men's confidence to be bisexual. People's own ignorance and distrust does that.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:31 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I've never personally known a bisexual man. Perhaps there are some bisexual men, but i've never had a close relationship with a bisexual male friend, lover, or relative in my decades of life.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-12-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 07:10 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Gay male here.

My impression is that it's because gay male sex has always been portrayed as a temptation, mysterious, alluring somehow. People think that once a man tries it with another man, he'll be converted, he'll never want to go back to women --- whereas lesbian sex is seen as harmless and almost kind of a rite of passage for women. It doesn't matter, they'll settle down with a man anyway. People talk about guys "going gay", there's not really an equivalent concept for women.

I honestly find the idea of giving a straight or bi guy such an intense, thrilling experience that he turns gay to be pretty hot, but it does NOT work that way. If anything I think most of us are worried about the same thing lesbians often are: that our bisexual partners will inevitably end up in a straight relationship. (Which is prejudiced on our part, and we need to do better)

Old 02-13-2021, 12:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:

10x easier for a bisexual man to date another man? I don't think so, depends on looks, though. But really, now having a sexual orientation and acting it out is absolutely based on how sexually attractive you are, whether to the same sex or opposite sex. If you're male and straight and don't appeal to the opposite sex, you simply don't have a working sexual orientation. Same way with being a homely gay male. Likewise for females. Being bisexual while having little to no sex appeal is of little relevance and can't result in a happy sex life with someone else. So in such a case, one is left to appealing to one's self and masturbation. Therefore, being homely and so having little or no sex appeal is what is really stigmatized to a very harmful extent in society. Not much of anything can be done about it. I'd rather be a hot damned good looking stigmatized bisexual male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology