Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think You're A "Good" or "Bad" Person and Why?
I think I'm mostly a "good" person 55 72.37%
I think I'm mostly a "bad" person 4 5.26%
Other: Please describe in comments 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 12:33 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good and bad are subjective.

I'm a person who treats others how I would want to be treated.
Correct, good and bad are subjective.

Following the golden rule insulates you from allegations of hypocrisy but it isn't bulletproof.

Some people don't want to be treated the way you would treat yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 02:08 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
We are all given free will and self control and it's how and whether you choose to exercise these options that separates the good from the bad. We all fail to some extent as younger people, but learn as we go and even to learn to identify the difference between selfishness and selflessness is a choice we make.

You bring up a very important distinction between selfishness and selflessness.

A good or bad person is defined by his actions.

If those actions are selfish, then the person is bad even if the whole world including that person views them as good.

If those actions are selfless, then the person is good even if the whole world including that person does not view that person as such.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,606 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Another way to view this question, IMHO, is it more important to you that you:

1. give more than you take, because you want to be a positive to your community

2. make sure you don't give more than you get in return, because you don't want to consider yourself a fool

Old 02-14-2021, 02:20 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I voted Other because it's not my call to make. I'm sure Hitler thought he was a swell guy. Self-appraisal means little.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:25 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I voted Other because it's not my call to make. I'm sure Hitler thought he was a swell guy. Self-appraisal means little.

Does your conscience have a call to make?

Old 02-14-2021, 02:33 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
I'll tolerate most folks. Just don't come up to me with a sense of entitlement or tell me I need to support your cause / beliefs / opinions.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would say I’m leaning towards bad but reside in the middle.

- Being considered a good person is not important to me. I consider it more important to be a consistent person and to live by the letter of my truth, even if it ain’t the friendliest.
- I don’t believe in forgiveness and I tend to be vindictive. If you do me wrong, I’m finished with you and if an easy opportunity exists for revenge without much cost to me, I will take it.
- People consider me an honest person who can be tactful. I won’t blow smoke up your backside to protect your feelings but I’ll give you my two cents blunt but not insultingly.
- I’m a very protective person of myself and friends.
- Standing up for myself means more to me than getting along.
So, do you forgive yourself when you don’t meet you own standards?

Do you want forgiveness when YOU mess up?

Old 02-14-2021, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
How I view myself? I guess I think of myself as neither inherently good or bad. I recognize that I am flawed. I also know that I do not purposely hurt others. I am working now on being kind; I recognize that many times in the past, I have been carelessly unkind.

I have both good and bad attributes. I have been undeservedly lucky in my life.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Following the golden rule insulates you from allegations of hypocrisy but it isn't bulletproof.

Some people don't want to be treated the way you would treat yourself.
That's where the Platinum Rule comes in: Treat others the way they want to be treated. But I follow the Silver Rule instead: Treat others the way they treated me. The Golden Rule may have been fine in the world Jesus lived in, but it's a fast track to getting screwed over in our rotten, corrupt world today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So, do you forgive yourself when you don’t meet you own standards?

Do you want forgiveness when YOU mess up?
Forgive myself? Usually yes. Wanting forgiveness? Of course I'd want people to forgive me when I mess up. But I don't feel entitled to their forgiveness, and would understand if they wanted nothing to do with me afterwards. (Although I'd go to the police if they retaliated physically.) After all, I'm not a forgiving person myself, and it'd be hypocritical of me to expect it from others.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:42 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Spent my day today, helping out a widow with her husbands belongings. Unfortunately, she's been given 3 to 6 months by her doctor, so it's very sad. I did some things for her today, that very few would do, here. (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

I'd planned on riding my Husky 701, out in the desert today. It was 72F, supposedly. Those plans got changed in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology