Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 05:06 PM

72 posts, read 109,162 times

Advertisements

Or both? When you watch his videos, he comes across as so out of touch with reality. Some have said the he was not psychotic but narcissistic.

People who knew him also say he was completely delusional about girls rejecting him. In his videos he talks about girls rejecting him but when his roommates invited him over to parties, he never spoke a word and only spoke when spoken to.

I think being indulged by a wealthy father exacerbated an underlying mental illness. I've definitely met some Elliot Rodgers when I lived in the UK (funnily enough he was born in London). I think though that the difference was and some Americans don't get this is the lack of weapons.

I can imagine if people in Europe had the same ease of access to weapons as Americans did, we'd be getting a whole lot more mass shootings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 05:32 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Um, yes? You've covered a lot of ground here. Can't argue with any of it, really.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:47 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Both. Untreated mental illness and the insulation of privilege can be a hell of a mix

Old 01-03-2021, 12:02 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Or both? When you watch his videos, he comes across as so out of touch with reality. Some have said the he was not psychotic but narcissistic.

People who knew him also say he was completely delusional about girls rejecting him. In his videos he talks about girls rejecting him but when his roommates invited him over to parties, he never spoke a word and only spoke when spoken to.

I think being indulged by a wealthy father exacerbated an underlying mental illness. I've definitely met some Elliot Rodgers when I lived in the UK (funnily enough he was born in London). I think though that the difference was and some Americans don't get this is the lack of weapons.

I can imagine if people in Europe had the same ease of access to weapons as Americans did, we'd be getting a whole lot more mass shootings.
Haven't you heard of the icel car attacks? Alek Minassian drove a van into a crowd in Toronto, killing 10 people.

As for ER - almost everyone has some kind of mental illness according to shrinks. I hear some people say he had autism but everyone with a autistic kid howls that that means everyone thinks their kid is a ticking time bomb. So Er did not have autsim! In fact saying he has mental illness implies that mentally ill people are potential killers - stigma!!

Edit - just did a quick search:

Quote:
Alek Minassian's autism spectrum disorder left him incapable of making a rational choice when he chose to drive a van down a Toronto sidewalk and kill 10 people, his defense lawyer argued Thursday...
Boris Bytensky said in closing arguments at Minassian's trial — held via video conference at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice — that the 28-year-old's disorder left him without the ability to develop empathy.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sian-1.5845340

Hmmmm...

Old 01-04-2021, 01:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 4,626,999 times
Has was a narcissist because he made those killings about him. He didn't get his way or what he 'thought' or assumed he 'should' have. This goes way beyond keeping up with his peers, appearances, status etc he really feels deprived and/or shunned. He spree was an adult child's temper tantrum.

Just making this video says alot.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...tribution.html

POS

Old 01-07-2021, 11:49 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post

Where there is a will, there is a way. His various devices used along prove that. Might he have done harm to fewer had he been without guns and knives? Perhaps....but it still sucks for the first victims, be it one or many, such as in the Happy Land Fire. Further, how many victims did Ted Bundy get with a gun?

As to where he had a mental illness or just spoiled rotten, that is certainly hard to say off just a wiki article. In CHL classes, we are taught that if we have to kill someone, one of the things we are going to need is a psychologist because normal people don't go around kill other people and on that alone, I would say yes a mental illness but, there are so many exceptions about killing and further, I am not a psychologist.

As to why not more "such people" in the UK? Difficult to say but one must remember that these are different places. Would the UK run into such problems as this:

Police department A: We've had a number of prostitutes murdered. Are you having a similar problem there?

Police department B: No.......because we don't have a prostitute problem here. To admit that they do, that they are being killed, would be bad for the tax base, to attract families to live there, to keep families living there.

Further, one must realize that, at least in the US and in Vancouver, that prostitutes are "easy" targets, from getting them into the car, to being transient so if they disappear there is "another explanation" and hence a reason not to look too hard, to being "disposable" people that not everyone will care.

Does, however, the UK, have that kind of approach if it had such killings going on? Despite the length of this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...United_Kingdom
I would suspect it is still quite small when compared to North America of the US and Canada (including Canada because of Alaska).

Why people don't kill as much, going by the OP's assertion, as they do across the pond is, on the short list, here in this thread, probably unknown......but I doubt it is because of a lack of weapons.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-07-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 11:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I read some him at one point. He had had problems from an early age. I don’t think he had insightful parenting either. But he had a troubled childhood. Plus he was entitled.

There might have been some mental illness. But he was emotionally unstable, at the very least.

I think you can find a decent Wikipedia article about him.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:04 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Haven't you heard of the icel car attacks? Alek Minassian drove a van into a crowd in Toronto, killing 10 people.

As for ER - almost everyone has some kind of mental illness according to shrinks. I hear some people say he had autism but everyone with a autistic kid howls that that means everyone thinks their kid is a ticking time bomb. So Er did not have autsim! In fact saying he has mental illness implies that mentally ill people are potential killers - stigma!!

Edit - just did a quick search:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sian-1.5845340

Hmmmm...
In fact, of Elliot's victims, half were stabbed to death, and more than half were hit with his car, which he was using as a battering ram in the "final phase" of his "Day of Retribution".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology