Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 04:34 AM

72 posts, read 109,363 times

Advertisements

Bisexuality seems to be stigmatized to an extent but it's even more so with men. Many people think guys who identify as bisexual are 'just in the closet' and won't admit it.

I've always found it odd that people think this way. If anything, I would find the idea of monosexuality (being straight or gay) to be more implausible than bisexuality. Sex with a man and woman isn't that much different mechanically speaking.

Perhaps it's because bisexual men who are struggling to get dates/sex might go for other men more than women, purely because it's 10x easier for a man to date another man than a woman thereby giving a false impression that he's really just gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 06:43 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
I think it is human nature to want to classify things easily. Being bisexual, it’s hard to put that person in a box.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:35 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
O.P.: Why do you believe that it's ten times easier for men to date other men than it is for them to date women? Every single one of my gay male friends have just as many issues with dating as their straight counterparts. Interpersonal relationships and finding someone to love or partner with can be complicated no matter what the sexual orientation of the involved partners. Now if you're using "dating" as a euphemism for getting laid, that is a bit easier when it comes to men who prefer to sleep with other men.

Not going to go into great detail here other than to say that "mechanically speaking," sex *is* different whether a man is having sex with another man versus with a woman.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:30 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I've never heard that people don't "believe in" male bisexuality. That's ridiculous. Where are you running into all these people, OP? How would you even know what people "believe in" with regard to male bisexuality? How is it, that you've come to poll "many people" on this topic?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:37 AM

1,161 posts, read 467,192 times
I have no idea what you are even suggesting, OP. As a heterosexual male, I find the notion of male bisexuality repulsive, simple as that. My heterosexual friends share my sentiments. I don't doubt that some men are genuinely bisexual, but I regard it as simply a subspecies of homosexuality.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:09 AM

299 posts, read 225,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard that people don't "believe in" male bisexuality. That's ridiculous. Where are you running into all these people, OP? How would you even know what people "believe in" with regard to male bisexuality? How is it, that you've come to poll "many people" on this topic?

Well literally 7 minutes after your post we got this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I have no idea what you are even suggesting, OP. As a heterosexual male, I find the notion of male bisexuality repulsive, simple as that. My heterosexual friends share my sentiments. I don't doubt that some men are genuinely bisexual, but I regard it as simply a subspecies of homosexuality.
I'm a bisexual woman; attracted and had relationships with both genders before eventually marrying my husband. People in my life started warning my husband suggesting I would constantly cheat on him. Because being a bisexual has to mean I'm a pill popping sex freak right?

It took me a while to find a straight man that didn't automatically assume I was up for a threesome with another woman. It was just as hard to find a alt/lgbtq+ woman that wasn't threatened by single men we encountered or my past relationships with men.

There are a ton of stigmas on bisexual individuals both men and women that we have to bear. We're fake gay/lesbians, guarantee cheaters, horrifying sex addicts, and the typical gay/lesbian hate from the brilliant minds like Irkle Berserkle above.

To OP; be yourself and the rest will follow. I know the stress that can come with having a sexually that unfortunately is still heavily scrutinized or misunderstood. It really sucks the mainstream lgbtq+ leaves us in the dirt but I'm not surprised seeing how they treat other alt lifestyles.

There are some bi and alternative sexuality support forums that are helpful. Not sure how much positive responses you'll get here so maybe try reaching out to a community that will understand. Try not to think or dwell on the negatives and have fun. Dating gets hard when we make it hard. Have fun, be open and loving and you'll find people care less about what you are versus who you are.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:40 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
You might regard them as a subspecies of homosexual, but their wives and children might think differently. Statements like yours always give me a good laugh. If you only knew how many otherwise hetero men have dipped their toes in the stream...

To answer the question, though, I think the reason is mainly cultural. The image of the rugged, emotionless, Marlboro man still persists in the US, but that is changing.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:01 AM

9,139 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahfeehan View Post
Bisexuality seems to be stigmatized to an extent but it's even more so with men. Many people think guys who identify as bisexual are 'just in the closet' and won't admit it.

I've always found it odd that people think this way. If anything, I would find the idea of monosexuality (being straight or gay) to be more implausible than bisexuality. Sex with a man and woman isn't that much different mechanically speaking.

Perhaps it's because bisexual men who are struggling to get dates/sex might go for other men more than women, purely because it's 10x easier for a man to date another man than a woman thereby giving a false impression that he's really just gay.
Since you live in Ireland, maybe that's true around you, but I'm not sure that's true in the US.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:10 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
OP: To answer your question, I think it is partly because of the male gay culture, which is very promiscuous.

I also think it's because some gay males truly seem to despise women - I had a gay friend and used to hang out with he and his buddies and they would talk about women and trash them, constantly - very misogynistic - so maybe that is also one reason for a section of the population.

Also: Just stories from Greek history seem to suggest that males prefer other males as sexual partners.

I think there might be something to thinking that most bi-sexual males could possibly be grappling with homosexuality.

Another factor may be that some male sex acts seem gross.

On the other hand, the sexuality of females seems more fluid and their sex acts are not seen as as gross as the males.

Many people think that in nature (without social conditioning), most people would be opportunistic and bi-sexuality would probably be the rule, instead of an exception.

I realize that these opinions are not politically correct! But they might explain the reason for differences.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I definitely hear bisexual men spoken about differently than women. I always chalk it up to the men (and it's almost always men) projecting their own discomfort with their sexuality. Women seem more likely to accept sexuality as a spectrum and have less problem expressing physical attraction to people of the same gender. For instance, myself and most of my friends consider ourselves straight, but we still talk about our "girl crushes." We just don't consider ourselves bisexual because we're not interested in purusing a relationship with a woman. The type of straight man who says a bisexual man is really gay seems much more likely to feel threatened by any internal interest they have in other men. If they keep insisting that any man who has any level of interest in another man must be gay, then the heat is off of them.

It's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology