Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 09:40 AM

720 posts, read 427,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Is there one of those clinical or scientific names for people who use both parts of their brains just as equally and productively instead of vast majority of the population that dominantly uses one side of the brain or the other (i.e. logical/methodical or creative/artistic).

I say this since the word "ambidextrous" exists for people that equally use both left and right hands equally and productively.
I don't know if the claim stands, that the vast majority of the population dominantly uses one side or the other.

I'm not sure if this helps, but after I read the replies in this topic, I googled 'people with only one hemisphere' and found this:

https://mappingignorance.org/2020/02...emispherectomy.

I don't know how official that is, but to me it was an interesting read, indirectly relevant to the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 10:32 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Clinical?

Balanced would describe it.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
I guess the discussion dove deep into an academic one. I'm just a simple guy asking if their's a word somebody might've heard of at a bar or from a professor, etc.

....for now I'll formulate my own and call it mentally ambidextrous
I'm a retired clinical counselor with a Master's in clinical psych. To answer your question: no, there's no clinical term for what you're describing. And as others have pointed out, the left-right brain dichotomy is a myth.

https://biomedicalodyssey.blogs.hopk...myth-persists/

Old 02-17-2021, 01:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I don't know if the claim stands, that the vast majority of the population dominantly uses one side or the other.

I'm not sure if this helps, but after I read the replies in this topic, I googled 'people with only one hemisphere' and found this:

https://mappingignorance.org/2020/02...emispherectomy.

I don't know how official that is, but to me it was an interesting read, indirectly relevant to the topic.
thanks, that was a fascinating read. The brain can compensate so well. But not after a stroke....

Old 02-17-2021, 02:31 PM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Is that like the little head telling the big head what to do?

Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Is that like the little head telling the big head what to do?
From the header OP used, that is basically what I thought the discussion was going to be about.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Ambi-brainiac!

Old 02-18-2021, 04:57 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm a retired clinical counselor with a Master's in clinical psych. To answer your question: no, there's no clinical term for what you're describing. And as others have pointed out, the left-right brain dichotomy is a myth.

The left brain/right brain dichotomy is NOT a myth. It's just been made into something that it's not.

Sperry's split brain epilepsy studies showed clearly that the two sides of our brains can act independently of each other if they can't communicate. They also demonstrate that the right hemisphere can't speak in most people and that the brain tissue in the right brain that occupies the same space as the speech centers for the left brain specializes in non speech tasks.

However, in people with an intact corpus collosum the two hemispheres communicate with each other and integrate tasks in a cooperative manner. Therefore it is difficult to determine which hemisphere is doing what. The only thing we know for sure is that most all people, the left brain is doing the talking for both sides.

The spooky thing that the split brained studies showed is that without the corpus collosum that the two sides of the brain could be in conflict with each other and not cooperate like they do in intact brains.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:34 PM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
sand&salt said---"thanks, that was a fascinating read. The brain can compensate so well. But not after a stroke...."

Apparently, there have been studies on the rehab of stroke victims' brains. It is (allegedly) important to get started immediately after the stroke---

The most important lesson from 83,000 brain scans | Daniel Amen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8

After watching this, your brain will not be the same | Lara Boyd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBMFCzznE

Dr Amen is not without controversy, however.---
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/dr-...h-spect-scans/

Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 PM

315 posts, read 299,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

I read the article you posted and ran into this line "Similar to astrological signs, labeling ourselves by dominant brain hemisphere gives us the security of a defined personality type, capable of explaining actions in the past and predicting the future."

I'd have to say holllllly guacamole!!! This is because I have witnessed evidence of these "defined personality types" countless times both at workplaces and in social circles. I can at any point in time give you the names of at least four different people who I can describe as creative/emotional problem solvers that make decisions by how they feel, and can also give you names of those guys that make decisions using a logical, methodical thought process.

Regardless of whether it's one side of the brain that dominantly controls either the logical/methodical, or creative/emotional, those dominant behaviors are very very real. Most people I meet are either dominantly logical/methodicals or creative/emotionals. I wish I could get into a live debate with the person that wrote that article!! My oh my!!! oh gosh!! oh my gosh!!

That article is flat wrong based on that particular line I cited. Thanks a mil too for engaging my thread. This certainly spurs a good discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology